- advertisement -

How do I give dessert?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Melanie1216, Jun 25, 2013.

1. Melanie1216

Melanie1216 Approved members

Hi, we recently learned how to flex the insulin to give more food at snacks or more at meals. I'm just not sure I understand completely. I just want to make sure I have this right. The doctor said we should wait at least 2 hours between insulin shots and I realize most people wouldn't eat a lot if they just ate 2 hours before, but what would I do in a situation like this? Say we have dinner at 6 and gave the insulin shot to cover that and then at 7 dessert is served, if we can't have dessert right with dinner at 6, we need to wait until 8 until we give the dessert and shot to cover dessert? Thanks! I'm sorry if it's a dumb question, I am still just confused by this at times...

2. Helenmomofsporty13yearold

Helenmomofsporty13yearold Approved members

If you know what dessert is and if it is being served right after dinner, you can just include it in your carb count for dinner. It takes 20-30 minutes for the bolus to start working at it works the hardest 1.5 to 2 hours after injection.

I believe the 2 hours between shots refers more to corrections that bolusing for food. You are still very new to this and your child may be honeymooning, so I would not worry about being aggressive with corrections at this time. IMHO it is more important to look for trends right now as your child's insulin needs may drop if she has a honeymoon. Mine dropped a lot, but some do not drop at all.

3. Amy C.

Amy C. Approved members

The doctor means waiting 2 hours to give insulin for a correction. You can give a shot for the food eaten anytime.

That being said, it works well to give the insulin for a meal and then to string out the meal for a couple of hours.

This actually prevents a spike that could come with dinner.

4. mamattorney

mamattorney Approved members

You can always dose for food - they mean don't give a correction dose until at least two hours have passed since the last dose.

I try to ask my daughter whether she thinks she's going to want dessert and just include it in her dinner shot. But lots of times we aren't thinking about it, so if she wants dessert, she just gets another shot.

But if bedtime is 9:00pm and you gave her a shot at 8:00 for dessert, you aren't supposed to correct if she's high at 9:00pm because her insulin is still working on her dessert. You can check at 10:00/10:30 and see how she's doing and make a correction at that time if needed.

5. cdninct

cdninct Approved members

The doctor might not have just meant corrections--he or she might have been talking about food dosages, too. I know ours had us all worked up about waiting 2 hours between meals or snacks (and finishing all meals within 30 minutes--a monumental task with a 2-year old CWD!).

At the same time, as others have said, there is really no reason to wait those 2 hours as long as you have all of your insulin doses figured out properly. You can either do a separate shot for dessert or include it with dinner. We do the latter because it takes hours for insulin to really do its job with my son.

6. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

Really, all you need to understand is the insulin duration and the peak time of whatever insulin you are using - if you don't have a clear sense of that you can't fully understand why you are doing what you are doing and things like the 2 hr rule seem arbitrary. Ask the endo for further training or buy Ragnar Hanas' "Managing Type 1 Diabetes in children..."

7. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

mostly on a plate or in a bowl, but sometimes neither is needed.

Sometime she is low and we use CANDY to treat instead.

8. Heather(CA)

Heather(CA) Approved members

I agree with the others that he means 2 hours between corrections. But, personally and especially for a new dx'd. I would wait three hours between corrections. Insulin for food anytime :)

9. Mish

Mish Approved members

I know that for my son when he was newly diagnosed we had to be careful with giving a second shot for desert. It's as if his body had some saturation point where it couldn't handle all that insulin at once, even if the dose was appropriate for the food. So if he got his normal shot for dinner at 6 and wanted a desert at 7 I would very conservatively give 1/2 a dose for it, depending on the situation and the foods sometimes I would adjust that but I simply couldn't give the whole thing. It's a non-issue now that he's older, and was totally easier to handle once we started pumping as well, but it absolutely was a problem early on.

So, just something to watch for.