- advertisement -

How do I figure out these lows????

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by buckmarko, Sep 26, 2012.

1. buckmarko

buckmarko Approved members

On Monday the school called and S was in the clinic with a bg of 56. Treated with 15 g juice, rechecked 15 min later and he was 53. Gave another juice and ate a starburst and he slowly went up to 68. He missed half of his class. Tuesday morning he was a little high, so when we bolused for breakfast, instead of the 7.5 units the pump recommended, we only gave 6.5 units (trying to avoid that low he had the day before) so at lunch time he was high (233). Today at breakfast we bolused normal because he went high the day before. So the school just called, he was doing his lunch glucose check, and he was 49 again! He had some glucose tabs and he came back up. What do I do? I'm just frustrated. Thanks.

2. danismom79

danismom79 Approved members

Lunchtime is when you're having the trouble? Did he have PE or recess before lunch on any of those days? What's his ratio? Maybe taking off a full unit at breakfast was a bit much to start with.

3. mom24grlz

mom24grlz Approved members

maybe try keeping the bolus amount the same but reducing the basal rate?

4. TheLegoRef

TheLegoRef Approved members

Can you give us the times of each of the lows? (And times/BG's of testings before the lows would be helpful, too.) Is this middle school or elementary? (Is he walking from class to class or in the same room.)

5. VinceysMom

VinceysMom Approved members

I am also wondering if there is gym class before lunch... it almost sounds like a delayed low from exercise? :( This sounds exactly like my son, when he had gym at 8:30 a.m. and lunch at 10:30... and lows after lunch! ugh! It may take time, log and take notes, and hopefully you will figure it out soon. Good luck.

6. buckmarko

He doesn't have gym in the AM. He has 3 different teachers in middle school. On Monday he dropped around 10 am. Sunday night he did have baseball practice, and Tuesday evening he had a game. Would it cause him to have a low 18 hours later?

I have his breakfast ratio at 10 and the rest of the day 14.

Monday
    3:30 am 230 (gave correction)
    8 am 170 correction and bolus
    10 am 56

Tuesday
    7:50 am 242 (gave 1 unit less to avoid low)
    12:15 233

Today (Wednesday)
    2 am 121 (dexcom reading) then started to rise around 3 am.
    7:30 am 161
    12:00pm 49

7. TheLegoRef

TheLegoRef Approved members

That looked like my son's readings. I started having him test at 8:15am, and having a snack. Based on what his BG was, sometimes it was uncovered, sometimes it was not, sometimes in the middle. (150-200 5 carbs uncovered, 100-150 10 carbs uncovered, you get the idea.)

Also, breakfast helped a lot. He has a low(ish) carb breakfast - between 40-60, with lots of protein (eggs, milk, sausage, veggies!!). No fruit! We found that fruit in the morning makes him bounce. Odd, we always thought fruit was good. Instead, he has veggies in place of the fruit. He has the same breakfast ratio as this summer, and this breakfast change fixed all mid morning lows so far at school.

Edit: Our days used to look like that. Some days had lows, some days none, and some days he went all the way to lunch and was still high.

8. danielsmom

danielsmom Approved members

I've been told the effect of heavy exercise can last about 24 hours in their system...Daniel just went through that yesterday after intense soccer..we battled some lows...We do lower basal 1/2 unit on those practice nights and game days.

9. natallia

natallia Approved members

IMHO, I would wait one more day before making ANY changes. To me it sounds like you are chasing your own tail. It could have been just a fluke but if you change things too fast it's much harder to see the pattern.

10. dzirbel

dzirbel Approved members

I too would give it a few more days (school days) and see what happens. My daughter had the same issue a couple of weeks ago, but her's was tweaking the PE days.

I'd be curious if your correction factor could be the culprit?

11. buckmarko

He didn't have anymore of those lows. But I did adjust some of his basal rates for different times of the day from just viewing his dexcom. He did have cereal a couple of those days, and he usually will run high with cereal. We have our Endo appt wednesday, and I'm looking forward to see if they can help me get him in range a little better.