advertisement

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How discrete are you giving shots/tesing in public?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Brandi's mom, Mar 19, 2010.

1. Brandi's mom

Brandi's mom Approved members

Brandi rarely tries to HIDE it when she gives her shots or tests in public places, but both of us have noticed people looking at us like I'm letting her do drugs at the dinner table or something.

Only a couple times has she gone to the ladies room to do it.

So do you hide it or just do it?

2. Christopher

Christopher Approved members

Follow her lead and just do it. Ignore the gawkers. Danielle is younger and can be shy at times, so she will want me to be as discreet as I can in public, but we almost always just do it right at the table.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2010
  3. sammysmom

sammysmom Approved members

I never tried to hide it but I also never made a big deal of it. I try to respect others around me when giving my son a shot. Not too flamboyant about it but just discreet enough to get the job done. I have never taken my son to the bathroom for a shot but we do teach him about being descreet whenever possible. Sometimes it works, other times it does not. People are going to stare at times, I just try to ignore it.

4. vettechmomof2

vettechmomof2 Approved members

not very. Lil really does not have a care if other people see or watch and if she does feel odd then she just turns herself from someone watching.
    Mostly she uses these times to instruct people anyway about Type 1 and lately how it differs from Type 2.

5. caspi

caspi Approved members

I agree, follow her lead and if she's comfortable in public, that's fantastic! What I tried to instill in Cameron from the time he was first dx'd was to not be ashamed of his D. He'll whip out his meter anywhere, but is a little more discreet with taking his shot, which I completely understand. :cwds:

6. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

It depends on where we are and who's around and her mood at that particular moment. :cwds:

7. Gracie'sMom

Gracie'sMom Approved members

Gracie doesn't care who sees her checking her BG yet, I think we are on the cusp of that age, but with shots she gets "funny" and wants privacy, so I honor that. I don't care who gawks and stares as long as she doesn't care. If it bothers them, they can look away!!!

8. tiffanie1717

tiffanie1717 Approved members

We just do it. When I was doing MDI I would get some looks when I whipped out the needle and was flicking it, etc. but I didn't care. Now with the pump it's much less noticable.

9. austin_calebs_mom

austin_calebs_mom Approved members

We do Caleb's checks and shots right at the table. I feel that my son shouldn't have to go into the restroom to do what he needs to do to stay alive, or 'hide' it because it makes some people uncomfortable. They don't have to watch. Sorry if that sounds rude, but that's the way I feel about it.

10. AlisonKS

AlisonKS Approved members

other people have the option of looking away, these kids don't have the option of avoiding tests and shots. So we just do it. I discovered this trick while nursing in public, if someone stares, just stare right back with a blank look. They'll usually look away.

11. Becky Stevens mom

Becky Stevens mom Approved members

I felt a great sense of freedom when I first gave Steven a shot at the table in McDonalds. For the first 4 years we had used syringes as it was necessary to mix humolog with NPH. I can remember dosing him in the van then going in the restaraunt and waiting for our meal and getting very panicy if it took too long as he had already been dosed. Now I can dose when I need to right there at the table. I dont feel that injecting my child is unsanitary or inappropriate. Then again, I dont feel that its wrong to breastfeed at the table either. If people dont like the look of what Im doing, well, they can probably look elsewhere;)

12. fossmommy

fossmommy Approved members

when we are around other kids (like at church or in a play area), we try to make sure that they don't see "everything" b/c we don't want to scare them. If we are with friends, we ask if it's ok if their children see it or not. If we are just out in a normal public forum with mostly adults, we don't hide it at all. We'd love for people to ask us so we can educate, and that does happen from time to time! :)

13. CButler

CButler Approved members

If your child is comfortable with it, go ahead and be open about it.

What is the worst thing that can happen by giving a shot out in the open?

I will say that once, I gave Elizabeth a shot at church, and another child her age asked if she was going to get a shot too. I was the leader of the group, so she thought it was part of what we were doing. I felt bad about that.

I also think that going and hiding just makes it all the more complicated to deal with diabetes. It's easier just to go ahead and give it.

And I don't want Elizabeth to feel like she should be ashamed of taking care of her diabetes.

14. Amy C.

Amy C. Approved members

My son has no qualms about testing in public. Bolusing is not an issue. When on shots, he did the shot at the table or in public without any hesitation.

15. sassypantz

sassypantz Approved members

We've got the same attitude that I had with her as a baby when she was breastfeeding: this is what we have to do to eat; it's not "disturbing", "disruptive", "unsanitary" or "unnatural". Deal with it. I refuse to go to some filthy bathroom or dark alley like some desperate junkie. We deal with tiny, tiny drops of blood, and tiny, tiny needles. A person at another table would have to cross the bounds of social propriety to notice us on a level worthy of being disturbed by it. It's their problem, not mine.

DD isn't shy about getting her shots or testing in front of people--at school she tests in the classroom at her desk without missing a beat. Sometimes in social situations she may want to step away from the crowd--just to be sure that it's safe to be handling a needle, not because she doesn't want anyone to see.

16. Ed2009

Ed2009 Approved members

Depends on where and when. Surrounded with adults, or no small age children, we do it discretely in public (like seating rather than standing on the table with the t-shirt furled up to the neck).

If we feel that we might be inconvenienced (like a restaurant with hyperactive kids or dumb lookers), then we draw to the bathroom or the car.

But generally, I'd say is public, as long as the boy is comfortable with it.

17. Toni

Toni Banned

Did not use the Ladies Room; there are so many germs in there. We were discrete. She would test BS under table level and seek to shield from prying eyes when giving a shot. Novolog pen in leg for instance. Don't know if we were always successful. One time an old man came up and said "You are not alone".:D

18. chbarnes

chbarnes Approved members

Chris hasn't been shy about injections, testing, or even pod changes. I would say the pen syringes are probably more discrete and less alarming to onlookers, but I never want him to feel that he has to hide to take good care of himself.

Chuck

19. virgo39

virgo39 Approved members

When we started I took DD into the ladies' room, cause I would wash my hands. etc. Now, the only reason I'd go into the ladies room would be because of what DD is wearing -- we do shots in arms and legs (she doesn't have much belly fat) and, although the last few days have been nice, it's still long sleeves and pants or tights weather here! I'd also respect whatever DD wants (within reason).

I never notice anyone staring, because I've reached a certain age where I have to take off my glasses (I'm near sighted) to see what I'm doing. So if anyone's watching, I can't tell:D

I too felt it incredibly liberating the first time that I gave DD an injection at McDonald's.

20. Heather(CA)

Heather(CA) Approved members

I have never once tried to hide Seth's D. I don't want him to either...I used to hold the syringe up to the light to make sure it's right. Let them look, I'm sure they are surprised about how good she is about taking a shot. I doubt anyone thinks she's doing drugs out in the open. This is your hang up and for your daughter's sake, you need to get a handle on it (Saying that gently:cwds:) But seriously:cwds: