- advertisement -

How did you go about deciding on a pump?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by chkpea, Sep 6, 2009.

1. chkpea

chkpea Approved members

How on earth did you decide on a pump? There seems to be so many choices out there and I don't want to make the wrong decision. Our Clinic wants us to wait until February but the more I know and read on hear I just don't get why we should have to wait. We have an appt. this week with team and I want to tell them we would like one sooner. I have been looking at websites and have some brochures, but ultimately how did you decide.

2. PseudoJenn

PseudoJenn Approved members

Well, in Canada the OmniPod is not an option. :(

We have two main runners.. The Animas 2020 or Ping that just came out and the Medtronic Minimed Paradigm Real Time system.

You should request brochures and a meet up with your local reps for Animas and Medtronic to help you understand each system and the pros and cons for both and how they'd fit your family/lifestyle, etc.

The bonus with you living in Ontario is that children and adults have their pumps paid for by the government. (we don't out here in NB unfortunately :( )

My Mom (after 25 years) is finally going to the pump and when she started the 'ball rolling' in Ontario.. it takes awhile. Certain classes that your team/endo may want you to have, appointments with Diabetes Nurse Educators, and all of these appointments and clinics take time to get. I'd say it's about 4 months from her first appt. to her pump start date.

I'd definately bring it up with your team at your next appointment and inquire on the steps/procedures you'll need to follow in order for the pump costs to be covered. You'll also get 250$/month towards supplies.. and I believe that they cut a cheque for $750 quarterly for that.

Maybe others in Ontario can chime in more, on the time it takes, brands available, etc.

HTH! :)

3. PseudoJenn

PseudoJenn Approved members

Oops! Just noticed that your "Where from" just states Canada.. and not Ontario.. but for some reason, I'm thinking that you're in Ontario, no? :confused:

4. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

Yeah, you've basically got two options: The Animas or the Medtronic. I'd ask your endo to put you into contact with the reps and get together with both of them. There's really no substitute for holding the pumps in your hand and playing with them.

Don't worry about making the wrong choice. Everyone loves the pump that they end up with. :)

5. Bsbllmom

Bsbllmom Approved members

Well since Christian is older I let him choose. He tried the Cozmo and the Ping. He liked the Ping so that is what we went with.

6. goochgirl

goochgirl Approved members

With your child being very young, waterproof is a big factor. That is why we chose Ping; good thing as DS refused to let us take the pump off for baths at first.

7. betty6333

betty6333 Approved members

I looked at the pumps and gave him a choice between the 2 that I was most impressed with. You can see what he picked...

It was his body, so his choice. He looked at the Ping and the Pod. I needed one that has a remote so I can bolus at night without disturbing him. I just love that he sleeps and I can take care of his insulin needs without bothering him. Same thing when going to a restaurant, or on the road. He was pretty adamant about what he wanted so we both got what we wanted!

It is a tough decision, and there are no bad pumps, it is just a matter of finding what is right for your child!

8. Kalebsmom

Kalebsmom Approved members

Kaleb liked both the Animas and the MM. We had reps from both companies come to our home and so we could ask all the questions Kaleb had. Before they came over Kaleb was 99% sure he was going to go with the MM, however after playing around with both he loved the Animas a lot more than the MM.

I do think that both pumps are great pumps and it just depends on what you are wanting it to do.

I have always thought of a pump as I do a car, they all do what they need to do it just depends on what options you want.

9. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

Just so you know, the MM is as waterproof as is the Ping.

10. Leece

Leece Approved members

You might want to ask your Endo. We currently have the Animas 2020 and love it. We have ordered the Ping. For us because she was so little Animas has the smallest basal increment at 0.025. And we do make adjustments using it and it makes a huge difference in her numbers. We have decided to upgrade to the Ping because the remote bolus feature is a huge seller for us. We will not have to root around in her Jammies and disturb her sleep at night to bolus her. Also I would love to be able to bolus her from the front seat of the car instead of having to pull over to give her insulin. I will also say the Customer Service is excellent and we have never had any problems. They even took back 4 boxes of unopened infusion sets because they were not working for us and replaced them with other ones for free. We love pumping.

11. chkpea

chkpea Approved members

Hi, yes I am in Ontario. I am aware of the pump coverage- which is amazing, but I didn't think the process was going to be so long. Thank you everyone for chiming in the info about the pumps you use, that is exactly what I am looking for. I also know the pod is not here, I was told that it would be too big for James right now....hey who knows maybe it will be in Canada in a year? or who knows what will be in Canada by next year.

12. Amy C.

Amy C. Approved members

I wouldnt agnonize over the decision. Either pump works well. My son was the one who decided after he looked at the web site, but he was 12 at the time.

13. Mom2Deacon

Mom2Deacon Approved members

I didn't even look at MM. When the endo said Deacon needed a pump, I asked her what he should be on. She said many of her young patients are on the Ping because of the low dosages. So, that is the pump we use.

--Sara

14. heamwdevine

heamwdevine Approved members

We just went with the one our doc recommended. I am so happy we went through with the pump. To get on the pump we had to switch endos because where we were diagnosed and went for follow-up was not supportive at all and we felt it was the right time to get started.

I am so happy we did and so is Anna. Now she has asked atleast 3 times when she can put her sensor on which is sitting in our cabinet.:cwds:

15. fredntan2

fredntan2 Approved members

do a saline trial on both. I really makes a difference to wear it a few days and push the buttons-I wouldn't make your son wear it just yet. he'llhave plenty of time to wear one.
    try out all the different infusion sets on yourselves.

16. Mom2rh

Mom2rh Approved members

We met with a diabetes educator and looked at the pumps, their features. I had done lots of research online and here. I was leaning towards the Cozmo...I let Ryan pick and that is the one he chose. I did discuss with him what I saw as the pros and cons but since he is the one that has to wear it, use it, etc. I want him comfortable with it.

Sadly, when his warranty is up next year he'll have to choose again. I hope there are more options for him. The Cozmo has a 300 unit capacity and he needs that...because of puberty he uses almost 100 units a day. You won't need to worry about that for a few years.

17. Omo2three

Omo2three Approved members

We are waiting for our pump. Ambrea sees the endo tomorrow... hope this goes a bit faster....

Why we want the pump, I don't have a preference, MDI or pump.

Ambrea wants the pump for its freedom of injections, to just dial in a number instead of getting her pen ready. Better control of BS, acts more like your pancreas, if used properly you can have lower A1C.The benefits are huge.
    Just seeing how happy everyone here is...is proof.

hope to get a ping soon...

18. skyleysmom

skyleysmom Approved members

We sort of let ourselves be lead to the minimed. I got started immediately after dx working on getting Riley pumping and had so much going on and was so emotionally beaten still that I didn't even think about it. The first person with a D child who offered support had her DD pumping with the minimed and said I should call medtronic ASAP.

We just started pumping and we like the minimed but I often wonder and wish that I had checked out our other options. I also am not sure why but they send us out the 722 which is the larger of the two pumps. Again, I didn't know enough to be specific (and I should have), but I kind of wish she had the 522 instead. Maybe the 722 is what the doctor prescribed. Think I'll call medtronic and ask. :rolleyes:

19. ShanaB

ShanaB Approved members

Hey Kim. We are using Animas and for us it was on the suggestion of our cde. I was at the end of my rope and just asked her to tell me what to do. She recommended Animas because of their customer service and she didn't lie. My Animas rep is hands down the nicest, most educated and helpful person I've ever done business with.

I wouldn't let the time line scare you off, we were pumping live (after a saline trial on myself) 6 days after I threw my hands up and told them I was ready. Sure, maybe not the normal process but just wanted to point out that everyone has a different experience and you never know when you talk to your clinic this week what may come of it.

20. emm142

emm142 Approved members

Maybe because she is fairly newly dx, as well as going into puberty, so her insulin needs will quite likely go up a lot, and you don't want to need a new pump when that happens?