- advertisement -

How did you find out about your childs' diabetes?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by abacobaby, Feb 22, 2008.

  1. abacobaby

    abacobaby Approved members

    Feb 19, 2008
    Grace was just recently diagnosed about three weeks ago. She was not sick at all at the time. Actually, the only signs of anything being a little wacky was her craving water all the time and peeing in my bed a few times. So, I called the Dr. about it and he told me to bring her in right away to test her sugar. It came as a huge shock to me to find out that she has diabetes.

    I'm just curious how you all found out? Was your child sick at all or did you find out the annual checkup?
  2. zell828

    zell828 Approved members

    Feb 20, 2008
    My stepdaughter was diagnosed last week. About 2 weeks ago on a weekend when we had her we noticed she was really tired, not eating well, and drinking a lot. We asked her Mom about it and she said "She's been like this for a week or so, she's just tired". My husband told Mom to take her to the doctor then to rule out anything medically wrong, but she never did. Well, after we had her it bothered us that entire week then afterwards as to what it could be. I researched on line, we talked to her teacher at school, and we racked our brains. We didn't know if something emotional was happening to her or what. All we knew was that she was going to get braces on her top teeth in March and we didn't know if that was bothering her. Well, our visit came up 5 days later again on a Friday (for 5 hours we had her that night) and when we took her home my husband took her inside, came back out and had a really weird look on his face. I asked what was wrong and he said she had wet her pants! She is 8 and NEVER had this problem ever. We just both sat there in silence and fear. We knew something was terribly wrong. I told my husband to get back in the house and tell her Mom to take her to the doctor right away. So he went back inside and talked to her and told her AGAIN to take her to the doctor. Well, after that we got a call on Monday (3 days later) that Mom took her to the ER and she was diagnosed diabetic. They transferred her to the Children's Hospital that night. We went there right away and the next day we spent getting our training in with the dietician, pharmacy, etc. We have no idea what happened that Mom had to take her to the ER. We probably will never know. It was a relief to finally find out what was going on, but I was sad too to know it was this. My husband is type 2 diabetic so in the back of my mind we were thinking it could be this, but we weren't sure and we were hoping it wasn't.
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2008
  3. kelpie

    kelpie Approved members

    Jan 20, 2008
    My daughter became really ill just after Christmas 3 yrs ago.. she was really thirsty and then started throwing up - I took her to the bathroom to give her a shower and became alarmed to see how much weight she'd suddenly lost... it all happened so quickly. At the time there was a bout of 'winter vomiting sickness' going around and the hospitals were advising cases to stay at home so I called in and we were given an appointment a few hours later - while waiting to see the nurse she started blacking out and that was it.. 48 hrs in intensive care and then two weeks in the children's ward. Needless to say life's never been the same since!
  4. Deannas mom

    Deannas mom Approved members

    Aug 22, 2006
    My DD was DX a year and a half ago, at 10 yrs old. but I remember the day vividly. She also was not really sick at first. She started needing to go to the bathroom alot, saying that she had to go again and she just went. sometimes she wouldn't quite make it to the bathroom and would wet her self just a Little. She was also very thirsty all the time, eating ice like there was no tomorrow. I took her to the peds because I thought she had an UTI. they tested her for an infection and she did have one. she took the medication to clear up the UTI and when we took her back a week later I told the Dr. that she still felt like she had to go to the bathroom all the time. He sent us to a peds urologist ( I think i said that right) and they tested her bladder and kidneys for any problems, it was then that they found sugar in her urine and told us to go back to the peds office and have her tested for diabetes. the rest is as we say history.:rolleyes:
  5. Beach bum

    Beach bum Approved members

    Nov 17, 2005
    Abby was diagnosed back in June of 05. In Sep. of '04 she had hand, foot and mouth disease (cockasackie virus). From that point on, she was never really healthy, stomach bugs, colds, rashes etc.
    We went to the doc for treatment, but since she was showing no other symptoms, it never dawned on anyone.

    FF to June, we are in the docs office because Abby has been drinking like crazy, peeing like crazy, cranky, tired, terrible diaper rash even though she doesn't wear diapers. Turns out she lost 6lbs has large ketones. We were told to go right to the hospital, don't go home for anything, doc will call husband and tell him to bring what I need.
    Abby has diabetes.

    So, that's our story.

    We have identical twin girls, so we don't know what the future holds for Maddy, but we keep our fingers crossed.
  6. kodasmom

    kodasmom Approved members

    Feb 14, 2008
    New Years Day 2008.....
    My son came down stairs for the first time in months with no shirt on & I noticed that he had dropped alot of weight. He looked so pale and thin. I asked him if he felt ok, and he said, "no I don't". When he said that his breath had a horrible smell to it. It was then we decided to head to the ER at our local hospital. It only took about 5 minutes to have him dx'd, and we transported him to the U of Iowa Hospital where we spent 3 days.
    He had been compaining of being thirsty all the time, but I had just chalked it up to being winter time, and a little drier in the house than normal....
  7. Kirsten

    Kirsten Approved members

    Oct 17, 2006
    We went on vacation to AZ and Griffin, then 18 months was drinking a lot. I thought, "Good for him, he's staying hydrated." But when we returned home it continued.He also developed a nasty diaper rash (which turned out to be yeast). He was due for a well visit with his ped that Monday, so we mentioned it to her and she tested his urine. When it came up positive, she sent us straight to the hospital. My husband is T2 and his mom died at 53 from complications of T1, so we were familiar with the signs.:(

  8. Treysmom

    Treysmom Approved members

    Sep 23, 2006
    Trey was'nt sick either. He was dx'd on a Monday, that Sunday we were looking at photos he just passed out. Looking Back I see that he was drinking more, but it was AUGUST very hot in S Miss. I took him to the ped the next morning, she ran some test and he had glucose in his urine with a bg of 352. She sent us to the hosp for D instructions, we stayed there Mon - Thur.
  9. Flutterby

    Flutterby Approved members

    Nov 11, 2006
    Kaylee was dx 2 years ago, she several weeks she was incredibly thristy, no matter how much she got to drink she wanted more and if she couldn't have it she'd throw a fit.. and all out temper tantrum.. she was peeing constantly, she was potty trained (she trained herself at 2.5 years of age) and I couldn't get more than 5 minutes down the road without her crying she had to go pee.. it was ridiculous.. I feel horrible now because I'd make her wait until we got to the store, most of the time she simple couldn't (boy, she got a lot of new clothes that year though.. ) and I always made sure she went before we left the house.. but it never failed she HAD to go on the trip to the store.. she also had funky breath, and her urine smelt like maple syrup.. the accidents at night were unbelievable.. I'd have to change her bed multiple times a night, she was wearing pullups and going right through them.. she hadn't lost anyweight, but she hadn't gained any since july 05..she wasn't eating much at this point

    I called the ped's office after dh, jokingly, said 'she's probably got diabetes'.. and it ALL clicked.. I called late at night and the nurse said, bring her in in the am.. so at 10am I brought her in.. the dr checked her over, said she's just going to be petite.. and he thoguht she wasn't eating because she was drinking so much.. He said, because of her simptoms he said he wanted to check for diabetes.. asked if she could pee in a cup.. (it was the highlight of her day LOL).. he said you can sit in the lobby, I'll dip it and then let you know that everything is OK and you'll be all set to leave.. well, he called me back into the room, not a good sign, and told me that she has sugar in her urine.. we headed to the lab to confirm, then she spent the rest of the day at the pedi endo's office.. and the rest is history.. her sugar was 321 (esential fasting sugar) BUT she had no ketones, so she wasn't put in the hospital, we spend the next week at the ped endo's office learning..
  10. Shannon's Mom

    Shannon's Mom Approved members

    Feb 10, 2008
    Shannon was diagnosed 6 years ago. She was 4 and at her brother's baseball game. The game is 2 hours and she had me take her to the bathroom 3 times then had an accident on the way home. I immediately thought "diabetes" (I figured because I tend to think the worse case scenario). A year earlier a friend told me about another friend's child who had been diagnosed with symptoms of excess peeing and drinking a lot. On Sunday she mentioned several times she was thirsty. I called the ped. on Monday and said "she probably had a uti". Took her in and tested her sugar and instructed us to take her to the children's hospital. Because it was caught so early, she never felt bad - which also was difficult because we were in the hospital for 4 days and she felt fine so could not understand why she was there and why she was getting poked every hour! I had been working at a new small company for just about a year. One night when I got home from the hospital while my husband stayed, I had received an email from one of the owners. He was located in NJ and I had never met him. He said his son had been diagnosed 2 years earlier and gave the exact date. I didn't realize at the time that our "date" would stick in my mind forever also. He also said "not many people will understand the roller coaster ride you are on - please call me or my wife at any time of the day or night if you need anything or need to talk." I still get teary eyed thinking about his kindness. The next week another man approached me about his T1 son. I could not believe that this boy attended the small Christian school my daughter went to!!! Although his son was older, they became "nurse office buds". This company had 50 employees so I could not believe there were 3 employees with T1 children. Sorry to go on - it's amazing how the memories rush back.
  11. Carrie

    Carrie Approved members

    May 1, 2006
    Our daughther was diagnosed alomost two years ago at the age of 3 1/2. Being that we had both Type 1 (my sister's son) and 2 in my side of the family, we were pretty familiar with the symptoms of diabetes. Our daughter had two incidents, five days apart, where she would drink and ten minutes later have to go potty. This would go on for about forty-five minutes to an hour. The first time it happened, we were at a birthday party and someone brought it to my attention that she was back inside going to the bathroom. My SIL, having two girls, suggested bladder infection. But when our daughter would go, she would go a ton so I was thinking that an infection probably wasn't the case. I can remember getting a sick feeling in the pit of my stomach that night. I just knew deep down that was probably what it was but denied it to myself. I took her to her ped the day after her second time of doing that. He did a urine test which indicated sugar. We went over to the hospital for labs, and an hour later our she was diagnosed. I can remember describing those initial feelings like, "My life is a snow globe. Someone just shook the crap out of it and I'm waiting for all the snow to settle." That and of course feeling like a Mac truck just ran you over. :rolleyes: At the family doctor, she was like a 388. By the time we got to the endo (an hour away and after eating a light lunch), she was a 441 with negative ketones. She acted perfectly fine with no signs of illness. We got a two-hour crash course in checking blood and giving shots, went home, and were back there the next day for more training.

    I think one of the most disturbing things for me when we were diagnosed was her A1C. That revealed that this had been going on in her for at least three months prior!!!! Looking back, there were two things happening that I didn't pick up on. She still wore a diaper at night and for probably two months+ prior to diagnosis, she had been waking up most every morning soaking wet. She was also drinking a lot of milk, which the nurse said that some children crave (milk products) when they are first diagnosed. Even now when my daughter starts drinking milk vs. other drinks, more then likely she is high.
  12. czardoust

    czardoust Approved members

    Oct 16, 2007
    I think it was a combination of waiting for it to happen and then when it did (Kat was 3 and 1/2), the extreme thirst, constant bed wetting (just after we reached the milestone of a dry bed at night,lol) and then she just got very tired all the time, then one day I could not rouse her for anything. Even with knowing that one day one of my kids would get D, I did not want to see it and I know I waited too long to take her in. Because how could this happen to my child right? Drownin' in de nile..... When I was 10, my grandmother told me my fourth child would be diabetic if her father was a carrier like me. It was just genetics, nothing paranormal about the prediction. We had no clue until Kat was 7 that daddy was a carrier. I really dont think all the foresight in the world can prepare you for one of your children getting dx'ed.
  13. Charmed7

    Charmed7 Approved members

    Oct 18, 2007
    I'll keep this as short as possible though it was a 6 month period. :D

    Around September, my son started wetting the bed after being dry for over a year. He was 3. I brought him in for a routine check up and asked, "Could he be diabetic? I hear you get thirsty and pee more if you are." (that was the most I knew about diabetes lol) They said, "No, sugar would be spilling over in his urine, which it's not." I said, "OK" (The one word I will dread for the rest of my life.) On the way out of the drs, they tell me my insurance was changed, (it was state) and that I now have a $2500 deductible PER MONTH! The doc pulled some strings so I only paid co-pay, but I pretty much lost my insurance.

    Flash forward to the end of Feb. During that time, my insurance drama continues while my son's peeing accidents have excalated to wetting his pants. My friends are "used" to him drinking a lot. We're telling him to stop drinking at night because he keeps wetting the bed. I talk to the HR at my work about insurance and she says I have to wait for the window in April.

    Begining of March. I'm at my friends house (who has bought a case of Snapple because my son is so thirsty when he's over) and we're all outside shooting the s. Her friend was over and my son comes out, "Can I have a drink." Downs the first snapple. Ten minutes later, "Can I have a drink." Downs the second snapple. My friend says, "Man can he drink." and her friends says, "Is his breath sweet?" I say, "I dunno, lets check." Yep it's sweet. She says I need to take him to a doctor right away and I say I can't I don't have insurance. Well my friend (who happens to be my boss) explains to me since I had coverage that cancelled, I wouldn't have to wait for the window in April, and I should have coverage. So Monday I make it happen. Tuesday, I take him to the doctor. He's lathargic, thirsty, and peeing. The doctor orders blood to be drawn, and sent to the lab for results to come in on Wednesday. That night, my sister was visiting and we walked to a playground down the street, and my son couldn't make the walk. He somberly played on the swings. We went out to dinner and he just drank water and layed down on the booth. The next morning I waited until 10:00 AM then called the doctor for results. They "said" they've been trying to call me (jerks) and I need to rush him to Children's right away. I called the baby sitter and she said she gave him a banana and fell asleep. I brought him to the hospital with a sugar level of 924. He slept in the hospital for 2 days. And was released 2 days after that.

    So that's our story. And he was diagnosed on St Patty's Day. Five year anniversary is coming up.

  14. Sari

    Sari Approved members

    May 19, 2006
    This is a tough question today because it is our 2 year anniversary of diagnosis.

    Ross had been very thirsty and peeing a lot. He was just 22 months old and peeing thru his overnight diapers - to the point we put 2 on him and he soaked thru both. I thought he was drinking a lot because we were trying to get rid of his pacifier and I thought he just wanted to suck on something. I kept searching online for excessive thirst and diabetes kept coming up. I thought - my son does not have diabetes! Well I called the pediatrician and they said to bring him in to rule it out. Before I left work to pick up Ross and take him to the dr, I read one last thing online about someone saying that a symptom of Diabetes should be yeast infection. Well sure enough he had been battlling a yeast infection for a couple of day. At that point I knew.
  15. ScottB

    ScottB Approved members

    May 7, 2007
    Justin was dx'd May of last year. The months leading up to that his grades were falling in school and he was constantly complaining that he was having a hard time staying awake in his classes. There were days where he felt like crud and we'd schedule an appointment with our family Dr. but he'd always start feeling better when that day would come and the appointment would get canceled. Finally we were at my inlaws place who are both T2 and he was feeling absolutely miserable and had a thirst he couldn't quench. Just for kicks my MIL tested his BS and all the meter would say was HI, we knew something was up and took him to the ER later that day expecting a dx of mononucleosis. The ER took their standard blood samples but came back later to take some more blood except there seemed to be a bit more urgency the second time around, waited some more and then they broke the news to us. Needless to say it was quite a shock to expect a dx of something as simple as mono and then find out it's T1D.

    The only thing good that happened with all this was that there was a problem, it was correctly dx'd, Justin's grades picked back up and he felt healthy and active again.
  16. Mom2Deacon

    Mom2Deacon Approved members

    Jul 28, 2007
    Deacon was diagnosed on St. Patty's Day last year.

  17. jennmcc

    jennmcc Approved members

    Jan 2, 2008
    Emma was peeing alot (about every 30 minutes). Her preschool teacher asked me about it one day. I told her I had noticed it as well and thought she might have a bladder infection or UTI. So, I called her ped. and made an appt. for that afternoon. They did the urine test for an infection and the Dr. came back in and said Nope not an infection. My first thought great, I have a child that is going to pee every 30 minutes from now on. Then she says she thinks it is Diabetes! What? No way I thought. We then walked down the hall to do bloodwork. Her Dr. said she would call us by 4PM and let me know the results. In the meantime I called my husband and told him this crazy tale! We were next door letting the kids play and Dr. calls my cell and says get a bag, go to the hospital right away, and YES your daughter has D! I lost it at that point. Hysterical you might say.

    A little back ground info here. I have two girls and I was always bragging how my kids are never sick! They really never never get sick. I have been blessed! A month before Emma was diagnosed she broke her leg. She had gotten her cast off about 10 days before her diagnosis date of Nov. 6, 2006 at the age of 2 years.

    Back to story... We went to hospital with a BS of 890. Stayed there overnight and came home to begin our journey....:)
  18. Bsbllmom

    Bsbllmom Approved members

    Jul 23, 2007
    Christian was diagnosed a year ago. Years prior to that I would always tell him that he needed to eat vegetables and drink water, knowing nothing about diabetes, because there was a disease called diabetes and people get it from not being healthy.:confused: So FF to Jan. of last year he came to me and said he had an accident and immediately I thought diabetes. But of course I did the denial thing, since all of a sudden I noticed all the other symptoms, drinking tons of water, peeing all the time, hungry, losing weight and falling asleep at the drop of a dime. I talked to his teacher and she said that the last couple of weeks he had been leaving class to go to the restroom quite often. He hates the school bathrooms. I made an appointment and they couldn't get him in until March. This was the 9th of February. So I called back and said that I didn't feel comfortable waiting that long. So I took him in to get bloodwork done so it would be back by the time our appointment came. So on the 15th we went in and she drew blood. I had to ask her to do a bg check just so I would know that it wasn't d. She did and came back to make sure that he had fasted since the night before. His fasting bg was 355:eek: They called endo and he said he would have to be admitted and he was for a week. I never thought in a million years, when I left the hospital, that I would be able to take care of my child.

    Look at us now.:D
  19. wkat

    wkat Approved members

    Jul 23, 2006
    It was a slow gradual onset for us. I have T1 and checked my son's bs in May of '06 after a period in which he was acting very out of character and cranky after meals. Got a 239 and took him to the ER. When we got there his bs was 70 and A1C was 5.4. They tested for antibodies and he was positive for three. That summer he had no signs of glucose. We monitored his urine frequently for the next 1.5 years until he started showing signs again. Next A1C in September of '07 was 5.9. He then started to have post-meal spikes randomly after dinner and then more consistently. His A1C in January was 6.5 and they gave him a diagnosis. We started insulin just two weeks ago and since starting his numbers have gone up a lot and his A1C this week was 7.1. He didn't miss a day of school and no hospitalization.

  20. MamaC

    MamaC Approved members

    Dec 9, 2006
    Looking back, several months' worth of symptoms never triggered anything. Then it all fell into place and I called the Dr. right before the school nurse called me to express concerns.

    --Excessive thirst
    --Up all night peeing (the kid who couldn't be potty trained because he slept so soundly)
    --A faint or two which we wrote off to improper eating
    --Eating everything in sight and skinny as a rail (turns out he lost 10% if his body weight) which we wrote off to being 13
    --Nasty moods which we wrote off to being 13
    --EXTREME fatigue which we wrote off to being 13

    Glad to report he's back to his good old happy healthy self thanks to a little insulin here and there.


Share This Page

- advertisement -

  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice