- advertisement -

How did Easter plans go?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by KHM, Apr 4, 2010.

1. KHM

KHM Approved members

Hi---How did Easter go for everyone?

It was our first Easter since diagnosis. To make matters worse, my daughter is on the last day of her 4-day blind CGMS study because her insulin is so out of whack. I couldn't indulge even a little chocolate... and I felt bad for her sisters.

We opted instead for new pajamas, fun flip-flops for warmer weather, plastic eggs full of hair clips, lip gloss and tiny bath products and a good movie. THEY LOVED IT. I also put some cash in some of the eggs and tomorrow (when we return the CGMS unit) we'll grab some half-price Easter goodies and bolus her for a few treats.

Our holiday meal was our traditional one, pretty carb friendly. The only change is no shortcake for our strawberries; low-carb vanilla ice cream instead. Easier for me! :D

2. kimmcannally

kimmcannally Approved members

Ours went pretty well. It was our first since dx too, and both DS and I cried a little this morning. But lunch was good and he got a sugar free bunny (I think next year I'll go with a regular one and just give him less of it).

He went on a hike with his cousins and of course had to snack before he went, take his glucometer, take snacks, etc. SIL made a snarky comment about how much he was taking - like it was a really long trip. No one understands unless they have a CWD. :(

But overall, it was a good day :)

3. chammond

chammond Approved members

Our Easter went really well. I have been surprised Logan's #'s have been better than normal, even with a few goodies!:D

4. VinceysMom

VinceysMom Approved members

Awe, you made me tear up...again :cwds:

This was our first Holiday since diagnosis, too. We opted for regular basket, with less candy, no jelly beans, stuff like that. Instead, reeses cups, hershey's milk chocolate, cadbury, peanut M&Ms, and other non candy stuff, including some scratch off lotto tickets (which, of course, were losers!), aeropostle shirts, sugar free bubble gum. A couple of hours after breakfast DS goes low, 63, so he had candy...a roll of smarties and a snack size hershey bar... it really took a while for him to come up (i figured a good excuse to eat candy!) later he had snack size pack of peanut M&Ms. He did pretty good with both, and hasnt tried to sneak anything :cool: Both kids received the same type of candy in their baskets and so glad my daughter was happy with hers as well...tho she got her favorite choc marshmallow eggs!

5. virgo39

virgo39 Approved members

Our first Easter since dx. DD got peanut butter eggs, chocolate kisses, and mini-robins' egg malted milk balls, a few of which she was thrilled to have before and with breakfast!

DH tends to buy a lot more "presents" than I would, but the hit gift was toy car keys with a remote "opener."

Ironically, after very stable numbers in the 80s all day, she was 360 when we stopped for dinner on the way home! We retested and I even called my SIL to make sure I had poured DD the diet soda (I had) as I was confident that our lunch carb count could not have been off by that much.

She ate no more than 4 g. carb at the restaurant (some cheese and a bit of avocado from my salad), so we waited to test her until we got home. She was 330 (which I figured was within the margin of error for the meter), ate only about 10 g. carb and after eating was 290. At that point, I felt pretty sure that she didn't need as much insulin as our usual ratio/correction formula would suggest, but the $60K question is of course "how much does she need"? We wound up cutting the dose she would have gotten by just over one-half (we're on MDI doing half-units). DD just checked her (she's been asleep for a few hours) and she's 107, so we'll be probably be up tonight!

6. KHM

KHM Approved members

Same here! I managed to stay in charge of the whole Easter gig this year; that's never happened before :)

Ah, the mysteries of insulin and blood glucose. We're working on adjusting doses so our nights have been full of checks and sugar tablets for a while now but tonight has been especially weird---I can't rule out measurement error (dirty hands, etc) influencing a couple of readings but after two hours of measure, re-measure, take two sugar tabs kinda stuff she's at 147 which is believable and desirable...we'll find out soon enough if it will hold.

But you know...after our recent experience, I don't trust her bg to hold very long. So, hey! I shoulda' given myself credit for that: she DID have candy today: great big smarties we call Dex 4...all orange (yum!).

Wishing all a good night---brush those sugary teeth!

7. PatriciaMidwest

PatriciaMidwest Approved members

Happy Easter everyone! I stuffed eggs with cash and limited candy, and then gave kids a little present. Gave DD's both a Vera Bradley purse (without mentioning anything about D supplies although of course I was thinking this). DD ate all her Snickers right away, then tested out at 294 (but forgot to wash hands, duh!), then down to 80, then 48 and stayed low the rest of the day een with more uncovered snacks and taking pump off. She played outside most of today. Interesting we are now seeing her go low with exercise, this didn't occur regularly before. Hopefully tonight will go ok - she was 110 at bedtime.

8. KHM

KHM Approved members

My DDs took their five bucks to the dollar store today---even though Lindsay had carte blanche to do so, she did NOT buy any candy save for some gum that's like 1g carb per piece...easily managed.

But I saw these really adorable little silk handbags: kind of look like small totes in raw silk (vibrant colors) with some embroidered flowers. Nice! I was hoping Lindsay would grab one and it could grow into a gear bag but only the older two grabbed them.... no biggie; I sew so I can always make her whatever she wants.

9. emm142

emm142 Approved members

I had horrible highs for most of the day, without even touching my chocolate! :eek: So at least I have a lot left.. :cwds: I think it was the mashed potato in the roast dinner; it quite often does a number on my BGs. Of course, my BG finally plummeted from the high 300s down to the 60s JUST as I was going to sleep. ;) But other than that it was a great Easter.. My sister made me and my brother an easter egg hunt. :)

10. StillMamamia

StillMamamia Approved members

We bought some chocolate and I took out my favorites.:eek:

It was a good Easter.:D

11. chbarnes

chbarnes Approved members

Chris had less than 1u left when his pod expired this morning.....

Chuck

12. rare

rare Approved members

Best Easter ever. I don't think T even really got into his Easter stash much. He had beautiful numbers all day with one low right before a 4:00 pm dinner. I forgot to include crescent rolls in the carb count which is a good thing. He was 120 after dinner and 140 before bed. My only complaint is that my mom got him a sugar free chocolate bunny with no carb count on it. I know she meant well, but wth? I've told her a billion times that sugar free is off limits. She also must think I have magical brain powers and know the carb counts for everything.

13. wilf

wilf Approved members

We did very well. No stress - we're just used to Easter as an occasion, plus DD is now a teen and conscious of diet and figure and so holds back when the goodies come out. DD was probably highest (225) the whole weekend when we overtreated an overnight low last night, but all in all just a great weekend from a family and friend and weather and D management perspective.. :cwds:

14. sammysmom

sammysmom Approved members

We did pretty good. Took a wild guess at Easter dinner, turned out not so bad. Sam ate peeps during the day and bolused for them but then forgot to bolus for 2 of them around bedtime. Checked on him at midnight and he was 412. Corrected and he came down nicely. All in all, a good Easter.

15. KHM

KHM Approved members

Nice! I have really enjoyed reading everyone's posts! Thanks for playing.

16. sam1nat2

sam1nat2 Approved members

It was rough.
    Sam went and played stair luge the night before and had a badly bruised hip that kept him sidelined for the day. Aside from that, he was good.

D wasn't the issue, its the new dairy allergy of the toddler that has thrown the holiday and everything in the house for a loop. D can be forgiving if you are off on carb counts, the little one gets as much as a bit of something wth milk protein in it and is in severe pain for days as her stomach simply cannot tolerate it at all:(

All simple sugars in baskets, which is great to have in the room for night time lows

17. Crystall

Crystall Approved members

I didn't give E any candy. He is to little to know any difference. E just loved to play with the plastic eggs all day long. He was low... I guess from all of the running around. Next year he will get to eat some candy. The weather was so nice... couldn't ask for a better day!