- advertisement -

hot tub use?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by kjksmom, Aug 13, 2010.

1. kjksmom

kjksmom Approved members

I know I can just Google this, but you guys will have real-life advice: what's the deal with D and hot tubs for a almost 16 year old? I know he should test before and have fast-acting nearby, but beyond that have you found that there should be some time limit?

And does anyone have experience with the adhesive letting go on the pump site because of the warm water?

Thanks in advance.

2. Christopher

Christopher Approved members

I can't speak to the pump aspect but just be aware that hot baths and hot tubs can speed up the action of insulin, so you would not want to get in a hot tub right after a bolus (I realize this may be more of an issue with MDI than pumps). I think limiting the time he is in there is a good idea. I usually just let Danielle go in for 5 or so minutes, 10 minutes tops. Always a good idea to test before and after.

3. Leece

Leece Approved members

I find that I have to use Tagaderm in the hot tub. Skin tac is okay for the pool but not the hot water. We check before and after and always have some fast sugar around.

4. jetsmom

jetsmom Approved members

I tell my 15 year old to limit his hot tub time for two reasons:

1 it may affect the insulin in his pump (he uses the Omnipod on his leg)
    2 I thought it may affect his reproductive ability (kills the little guys) but they may be a wives tale.

5. cindyrn6617

cindyrn6617 Approved members

I also think it will affect the insulin and rate of absorption. AND, on our personal experience, it definitely affects reproduction.

6. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

Well, number 2 is only a concern if he's currently trying to make you a really young grandma. ;) Otherwise his little swimmers will regenerate just fine by the time it matters, even if he kills some off in the hot tub now. In fact, we should probably encourage more 15 year old boys to spend lots of time in hot tubs. :p

We let Jack go in the hot tub at my parents' vacation house. He's usually goofing around in there, as opposed to sitting for hours on end. And their hot tub isn't really that hot - it's probably pretty similar to his bath water. The temperature of hot tubs can vary quite a bit, and I'd limit his time more if it was truly HOT.

7. kiwiliz

kiwiliz Approved members

Great if he was high though. That's the only time we let dd go in because it always makes her cgms come off. (by the way - it think that is a great idea about the little swimmers - I always use the alternate reason (ie not the diabetes reason) when I want dd to do something.:D You know the male ego!;)

8. willie's mom

willie's mom Approved members

We let Will get in our hot tub. We do check his BG before getting in and we only allow him to stay in about 15 minutes. I would make sure the temp is around 98. We do not have any trouble with adhesives coming unstuck.

9. jetsmom

jetsmom Approved members

10. kjksmom

kjksmom Approved members

Thanks for all the comments (some of which put a smile on my face and others with teens, both boys AND girls!).

I also sent this question to our CDE: I'll let you all know what she says. The tub gets delivered this week!