- advertisement -

Horray horray, today is the day!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by cmsullivan, Dec 11, 2009.

1. cmsullivan

cmsullivan Approved members

Well, this morning we "went live" with Leland's pump and I am just so excited about it I can't help but let you all know :D I almost want to just give him some carb-y food so we can give him insulin without a needle stick :D Lunch is coming up here soon, so I guess I can contain myself LOL.

I am being a little more cautious today, and slightly nervous but mostly really stinkin' excited!!!!

2. Becky Stevens mom

Becky Stevens mom Approved members

Hi Carrie! Im so happy for you:) The best of luck today with the pump and come back in here if you have any questions. Lots of pump experts around these parts

3. ecs1516

ecs1516 Approved members

How exciting! Hey, you live out my way!

4. slpmom2

slpmom2 Approved members

Congratulations!! I remember it took us about 12 seconds after dd went live on her pump to realize what a huge difference it was going to make in her life, and in ours. Hope the transition goes smoothly!

5. Omo2three

Omo2three Approved members

Congrats! Ambrea was very excited her first day too....hope your week goes smoothly

6. cmsullivan

What endo do you use? I have wondered if anyone on this forum lived close to me :) Do you go to any of the JDRF meetings in our area?

7. fdlafon

fdlafon Approved members

Congrats!!!
    I remember the excitement we shared as well.
    HOpe everything goes smoothly for you both.

8. cmsullivan

UPDATE: Lunch was awesome, no one had to draw up insulin, Leland was given his insulin in two different doses because it takes him a while to eat and you never know exactly what a toddler will eat. He had a quesadilla= 27 carbs, delivered insulin for that as he was eating it. Then we asked him if he wanted some grapes, he did so we delivered the second amount of insulin as he ate those. This is just too awesome for words! Argh I could just cry but I'll :D instead :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

9. RosemaryCinNJ

RosemaryCinNJ Approved members

I so get it!! Isnt it great???!!!

10. sooz

sooz Approved members

awsome!! Which pump is it?? :)

11. cmsullivan

He has the Animas. We got him some cute little cases and he hasn't really even seemed to care that it is strapped around his waist. He touches it maybe once a day, I'm pretty shocked by this :D

12. Kalebsmom

Kalebsmom Approved members

It is a great feeling isn't it. Kaleb loved the first day. We stopped at Burger King on the way home from the endo just so he could bolus through the pump.

I am so glad you both like it.

13. cmsullivan

Well dinner was interesting......

Leland was crabby to begin with as I was a bit late getting finished with making dinner and he was a little low 62. He calmed down fine after putting his dinner in front of him: Chilli, corn bread, and mac and cheese( I made that because I knew the chilli would not get touched by the boys). He scarfed down the corn bread and started on the mac and cheese then began whailing like it was too hot. DH and I both checked the temp of the mac and cheese and it was perfectly fine. He contiued screaming at us and saying "I don't want that" "mommy" . Dh took him out of the high chair and walked with him in the living room to calm him down. Then we figured it out: He wanted more corn bread! Shesh, I wish he could have just told us ;)

After at that craziness it was nice to just push a few buttons to deliver the insulin to cover 40 carbs worth of corn bread :)

14. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

That's great! So glad to hear that you like it! :)

15. Spongy

Spongy Approved members

Congratulations! I'm so glad I read your post because we have Liam's pump sitting in a box in our dining room and the trainer will be here on Thursday to get him connected! I've been quite anxious about it but feel better having read this! I'm glad it's working so well for you!

16. cmsullivan

That's were ours sat until we got trained on it last week :) You'll love it! Are you doing a week of saline before starting the insulin? That was a BIG help to us!

17. Flutterby

Flutterby Approved members

Glad you are liking pumping.. when we first started I felt like I was forgetting something.. had that urge to fill a syringe.. :D

18. Spongy

Spongy Approved members

I don't know! That would bring us up to Christmas Eve so I'm not sure. We've been counting down to "no more bum-shots!" (He doesn't mind the arm shots but the lev. in the bum hurts sometimes)

Hope it's all going great for you!

19. Toni

Toni Banned

So happy for you that you love your pump. Sounds like you are doing really well and no more shots for the most part!

20. cmsullivan

I thought I'd give you all and update:
    Everything is still going well! We had one day with some highs but that was mostly due to a birthday party where DH was "in charge" and Leland found some unattended birthday cake :mad:. Yesterday was pretty good, there were some BG's in the 200 range but easily corrected with the pump. So far so good today, nothing above 200 or below 70, Woo Hoo!!!! When we were doing MDI I would only give protien snacks so was pretty cool to give him a cookie earlier for a little snack today and grapes yesterday :cool: :D