advertisement

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hoping Medtronic will come through

Discussion in 'Continuous Glucose Sensing' started by Meredithsmom, Apr 26, 2012.

1. Meredithsmom

Meredithsmom Approved members

We have been having a lot of sensor issues this past week. 3 of the 4 haven't worked. Medtronic has been giving me a lot of static over all of this saying that the reason they aren't working is because they are only FDA approved for ages 7+ and only FDA approved for insertion in the tummy. Well, my 6 year old needs to have them in her butt and we didn't have a problem until last week. Also, knowing how old Meredith was when they sold us the CGM, they didn't have a problem cashing my very substantial check.

I have been in contact with my rep as the help line has been no help at all. A help line lady even hung up on my last night while she was checking into "the supposed other calls you have made." I made 3 to Medtronic yesterday alone. And, what's my angle for lying about it. Like if I lie, do the sensors work better?? I want this to work so Meredith can have better control and I can get some decent sleep.

When I told my Medtronic rep that Animas was looking pretty good last night, things got moving. A District Clinical Supervisor will be coming tomorrow to meet with me and Meredith and see what she can figure out. I want to tell her I tend to be more open to apologies and information if I get free stuff.:) We'll see what happens.

2. betty6333

betty6333 Approved members

We don't use mm but my son has been using a cgm 24/7 since he was 6. I doubt it is the age. Some people have cgms on kids at 1+

I think there are a lot of details with the mm that make it a large learning curve when you start.
    If you look for Darryl's posts about how to get the mm to work well, I bet that would be useful. His daughter has used it for a long time and they know a lot! The main thin I remember from our 2 trials was that you have to calibrate when stable and in range for it to work well. We are rarely stable and in range is hit and miss, so the dexcom was a better fit for us.

It didn't work well for us, but I know there are people here who have made it work for them! I would use the search function and read through the posts on how to get the mm working well, or pm people who have it in their signatures that have used it over a year... They might have some tips that would help ( this board just doesn't get the traffic that the main children's board does, so use the search function for questions that you want answers to fast lol!)

Good luck!

3. PixieStix

PixieStix Approved members

When you say 3 of 4 haven't worked--is there no signal, calibration errors, just really far off from your meter readings, repeated restarts? is the problem when you insert the sensor, or do they work for x number of days and then stop working? Just curious what is going on, to better try and troubleshoot with you:)

4. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

My son started using the sensors at age 4, and has only worn them on his upper bottom, and we have very good success with them. Sometimes the Help Line becomes unreasonably fixated on making the problem YOUR fault rather than working with you to help fix the problem. If you can give us more information along the lines of what PixieStix asked above, I'm sure we can help you troubleshoot. :)

5. Meredithsmom

Here's a copy of the e-mail I sent to the rep. Sorry it's so long, but so is this issue. BTW, the clinical director that Medtronic was today sending cancelled.:( We are trying to reschedule something for the weekend of next week.

I'll give you a little run down on the CGM issue. On 4/19 I put in a new sensor. After 30 min (I set the over timer to make sure) I put the transmitter on. Got a green light, and the pump found the sensor. The 2hr time was in the pump for 8:37pm. It alarmed sensor error about 7:45 and I cleared the alarm. Then, at 8:38 I went to calibrate and the calibrate time said 9:45. I figured it was because of the alarm and let it go. At 9:45 the cal time was 9:47. At 9:47 the cal time was 9:49. This went on for about an hour. I turned the sensor off and got some sleep. At about 6am on 4/20, I turned the sensor back on and it wanted Meter BG now, which I did and then got a cal error. I did what it asked and kept getting cal errors and then it said new sensor now. So that one never worked. On 4/21 I put a new one in without incident. It worked great all weekend. On 4/23 I tried to trick it into giving us a few more days. That worked ok for about 6 hours. Then it was having errors, so I turned it off (again it was at night) and figured it was needing to be changed.

On 4/24 I put a new sensor in at about 6pm with the transmitter on at about 6:30. Mealtime bolus was at 5:45. I got a sensor error at about 7:30. I calibrated at 8:30 and things were ok for a few mins. At about 8:50 there was a cal error, meter bg now and then I was getting readings. At 12:30am 4/25, the sensor error/cal error/meter bg now started again about every 5 mins. At about 12:40am it was change sensor now. I turned it off and went back to bed.

4/25 I called Medtronic about the above issues and they agreed to send me a new sensor. So again, I inserted a sensor (this time from a different box) at about 5:30 with the transmitter on at 6pm. At about 7:20, I got a series of sensor errors, so I called Medtronic again. The man I spoke to told me about the FDA approval for over 7 and thought that was my problem. We trouble shot a little more and he said it was ok to get sensor errors in the 2 hr cal period and to call back if I got more after the cal. at 8:15 it alarmed for cal, so I did and it was fine. At about 9pm I got a sensor error. So I called Medtronic again and got a lady who thought it was because of the sensor being in Meredith's butt and not the FDA approved tummy. I told her this was my 3rd call to Medtronic today and my 2nd in the last 2 hours. She said she would look up that info and then hung up. She never called back. At about 9:20 we were getting normal readings, so I went to sleep. at 3 I woke up and checked and the sensor was in a WARM UP again. There were no numbers since 11:23pm. So I checked Meredith and she was 72. I gave her a juice and checked her 15 mins later and she was 54. Then I got a sensor error/cal error. I turned it off and pulled it out this morning. I also gave Meredith a snack and she came up fine.

I hate sticking that big needle in her more than I have to, and I'm not sure what, if anything, I am doing to keep getting these errors. I guess I was expecting the Medtronic help line people to actually be helpful. I didn't know about the FDA approvals for over age 7 or only in the tummy and Medtronic certainly didn't tell me before cashing my big check.

6. ecs1516

ecs1516 Approved members

I think that is what was happening to us. I think ours would keep pushing out the cal time and then kept doing restarts. It keep going into warm up over and over. Ours was totally the transmitter nothing else. Borrow a transmitter from the rep to see if it makes any difference. MM kept telling it was me. I had to finally ask the trainer to borrow one.

7. PixieStix

I was thinking about your sensor issues, and agree if I readily had a different transmitter available I would definitely try it just to rule out the transmitter. I assume the helpline had you put the transmitter on the test plug to verify it most likely (but maybe not absolutely) works fine, though I once had one that kept passing on the test plug but I kept insisting something was wrong w/ it, did get a f/up letter after they took it back that it was indeed defective.

From what you are describing with all the sensor errors, I would check your sensor insertion technique perhaps--be sure there is NO part of the silver insertion needle visible before you remove it. If you see the slightest glint of silver b/t the sensor and skin, give it a hand-push in the rest of the way. The sensor has to be absolutely flush with the skin, and can not be in a place where it moves in & out of the skin once it is inserted, not even a little. So would also be sure once it is inserted flush to the skin, that your taping the sensor down so it is secure against the skin, no movement of the sensor such as when she pulls her pants up/down, sits or flexes her muscles. A floppy/not-quite-flush-to-the-skin sensor could also contribute to cal errors b/c it will affect the ISIG. When you calibrate, the CGM is expecting a BG of a certain range based on that ISIG. Have you read the link under CWD poster Darryl's signature block. This is a really nice resource that may help you figure out the problem going on. Every time you do calibrate, I would take note of the ISIG and get a feel for the relationship b/t your meter BG and the ISIG/sensor reading. This will help you know when you are most likely going to get a Cal Err if you do a calibration at that time, and then you might consider postponing the calibration time.

IF your transmitter is fine, I think you may avoid getting the Cal Err alarms by waiting just a little further out from your last meal/correction--at least 2 hours if not closer to 3. Could be the insulin is just at the height of working 90 min out, and when your try to calibrate the BG is just changing too rapidly. If the CGM is calling to be metered, you might watch the ISIG to see that it is hovering around the same number and not gradually rising/falling when you look at it every 5 min. Even w/o BGs displayed on your pump, you can know if you're BG is changing just by watching the ISIG.

Keep us posted what happens w/ the MM rep visit, hope you are up & running soon!

8. hawkeyegirl

Try this next time. Put the sensor in, hook up the transmitter, and then wait at least 4 hours before you start it on the pump. You'll get asked for a meter bg within 5 minutes and I suspect that this will resolve a lot of your sensor error/cal error issues.

9. MomofSweetOne

MomofSweetOne Approved members

Same thing for us. Six weeks of frustration solved instantly with a new transmitter. I reported the help line person that told me it was my fault for not taping carefully to his supervisor.:D

10. hawkeyegirl

I think you had a different issue. It doesn't appear to me that the OP is having spontaneous restarts. She's having what I refer to as "nuisance errors." I think a lot of her issues could be avoided by not starting the sensor for 4-6 hours after it is inserted.

11. Meredithsmom

The MM District Clinical Supervisor is supposedly going to be here tomorrow with a new sensor and a new transmitter. She will watch my insertion technique and we will go from there. I haven't tried again since Wed. night, so we have been without data for a while.

After several e-mails with the clinical supervisor, she came to the conclusion that it could be the transmitter. That's why she's bringing a new one.

This CGM was supposed to make life a little easier and give Meredith better control. It has done the exact opposite for me.

12. PixieStix

Hoping a solution to the frustrations you have been enduring will soon be resolved! When all that is said and done, the CGM will bring you peace of mind and improved BGs for Meredith. Way to go Mom for pushing for an answer rather than throwing in the towel and giving up:)

13. Meredithsmom

After the meeting today with the Clinical Supervisor from Medtronic, we've narrowed it down to transmitter or pump. We tried a different box of sensors with the same result, also tried a new site (arm). Again, the alarms and sensor errors. So, the new transmitter is on and time will tell. I'm hoping that's the fix. Also, she said that my insertion technique is great. The problem is not me or Meredith.

14. betty6333

betty6333 Approved members

I am glad they are working with you. hopefully it will start working!
    your child must be a trooper to have so many sensors in a few weeks time!
    sounds like she is dedicated to giving this a good try!

15. Meredithsmom

Everything has been working fins since Monday with the transmitter that the rep gave us to try. We used the old one first and got all the same errors and then switched to the new transmitter and everything has been fine. So Medtronic is overnighting a new transmitter today. At least we are back on track with the CGM.;)

16. hawkeyegirl

I'm glad! We got a bad transmitter once, and it was very frustrating. Hope the new one works great for you!

17. ecs1516

ecs1516 Approved members

Good that is what happened to us bad transmitter.

18. Meredithsmom

Changed the sensor last night with the new transmitter that Medtronic sent us. No alarms all night and everything is working. :p I am remaining cautiously optomistic.