- advertisement -

Honeymooning and LOTS of lows....

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by sugarmama77, Aug 8, 2014.

1. sugarmama77

sugarmama77 New Member

Hi there!

We are new here. My daughter, Kyra was diagnosed on July 11th. I think it is safe to say that we are honeymooning. But her numbers throughout the day are pretty low. She's running in the 80's and 90's throughout the day. Lantus was 15 at night. We dropped it to 14 about 2 weeks ago and I am thinking that we need to drop it again?

Her carb ratio is 12, but I wanted to change the breakfast one to 14 because she was waking up low too.

Thoughts?

Kim

2. nebby3

nebby3 Approved members

80 and 90 are not really low. They would be good normal numbers for a non D person. I think she is just having a strong honeymoon. If she is having numbers below 70 you might consider reducing insulin but otherwise I would say enjoy it while it lasts.

3. dpr

dpr Approved members

I agree with Nebby. If her numbers get any lower you definitely will need to lighten it up, but it looks great for now. Just be aware that she will most likely need a carb snack for high activity or she will probably go low. If you know she's gong to have an active day like swimming I would go a little lighter on the insulin of the meal just before that. Shoot for the 150 range and see how much she drops. It's all trial and error to figure it out. Good luck, wishing you the best!

4. Mommy For Life

Mommy For Life Approved members

I always thought the honeymoon was a blessing and curse. Numbers were relatively in range, but finding the right carb ratio or long acting dose was tricky. My DD felt low in the 90s and 80s. Although, those are not technically true "low" numbers they made her feel shaky. Eating small low carb uncovered snacks helped. I am guessing that when school starts up in full swing and there is more consistency to the day, you'll have a clearer idea of how your insulin regime is working. It will get easier, just take it day by day and keep a look out for bg patterns.

5. sugarmama77

sugarmama77 New Member

Here's more info. She's 13. No AF yet. AT ALL. So when that hits, things should get interesting.

I am seeing that she is waking up fine. She drops between breakfast and lunch and then again between breakfast and dinner. She ate breakfast at 8:30 and checked it now at 11:30 and it was 50! Her carb ratio was 12, but I think we might need to up it at breakfast and possibly lunch to 14-15. Thoughts?

I think the idea that she might have to eat an uncovered snack between meals is a great too.

Keep the input coming. This newbie appreciates it! :)

Kim
    Mom to Kyra (13) dx'd 7-11-14

6. nanhsot

nanhsot Approved members

What's happening in the middle of the night? That would be my deciding factor for changing lantus. 80's and 90's are actually great numbers and are common and lovely to see during honeymoon!

If she's waking up low, I'd also worry about her being low during the night. Many endos never mention it but I'd start checking her around 2a or so. The breakfast ratio needs to be changed if she's low 3ish hours AFTER breakfast; if she's waking low (or is low in the middle of the night) then I'd drop the lantus some.

Welcome, glad you found this place and are asking questions!

7. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

Yes if she is dipping below 80's and into the 70's in the night or at wakeup then I would consider pulling back on Lantus.