- advertisement -

Honeymoon period?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Abuchanan, Jan 27, 2007.

1. Abuchanan

Abuchanan Approved members

Can anyone explain this to me! My regular pedi told me today that she thinks Makaela is in the honeymoon period. I did not have much time to talk to her because I caught her in the hall at work, so I did not go into detail with her about it.:confused:

2. MrsBadshoe

MrsBadshoe Super Moderator

Honeymoon was describe to us as the time when you body needs less insulin. When your total daily dosage is approximately 1/2 your body weight then you are out of the honeymoon period.

Ex. my son is 108lbs and his TTD is between 60-80 units...definately done the honeymoon.
    My daughter 52lbs and her TTD is between 25-30 units...definately done the honeymoon perod

ETA: changed more to less...which is what I had before I edited it the first time....

Last edited: Jan 27, 2007
  3. kel4han

kel4han Approved members

I think what Mrsbradshoe meant to type is the Honeymoon period is the time when the body needs minimal insulin. It seems at the Honeymoon period you still produce a good amount of insulin, however it is impaired, or seems your pancreas cannot keep up with the demands when eating. It is usually at the time right after diagnosis that the pancreas is giving its last efforts at functioning. You are then faced with sporadic highs and lows more often becuase sometimes that crazy pancreas decides to work after you have given your bolus, especially I find, after increased activity. Aftre the Honeymoon, the insulin requirements will easily double or triple. Some say the honeymoon was more difficult becuase it is so unpredicatable, but some say it was an easier time because you did not need huge amounts of insulin for results and the highs were not typically as high. From our experiences we do not need a basal insulin in our honeymoon period. That is a HUGE plus.

4. Cheryl5552

Cheryl5552 Approved members

Question from a new member....

I appreciate this thread.......

my son (14) is 5 weeks post diagnosis and is on Lantus, 12 units and bolasing (sp?) 20/1 carbs to Humalog. He's eating well at mealtime, but likes to snack after school....more than 20 carbs, he bolases.........His numbers are under 200 almost all the time now. But nowhere near 80-130 fbs. we aren't yet using a correction factor, I guess that's step 3. Our doctor is bringing him down slowly because those big drops are horrible. Especially after basketball and tennis.

Is this the honeymoone?

5. Mama Belle

Mama Belle Approved members

The way honeymoon was explained to us this way:

When first diagnosed the insulin producing cells are still functional to some extent, but have stopped producing insulin completely. Once diganosis is made and the person starts taking insulin the cells perk back up and insulin production begins again, only not at the levels of a non-diabetic. So, often times right after diagnosis you'll have a period where you may not require as much insulin as other diabetics and you tend to be in better control with that minimal insulin. Eventually the remaining cells stop producing insulin and die and the honeymoon period is over. Honeymoons can last days, weeks, or months. Some people don't have one at all, my daughter never did.

6. Abuchanan

Abuchanan Approved members

Thank you that helped alot and explained alot. Makaela has been running 70's all of a sudden when last week she was running 300-500. I had to reduce her insulin (choice i made since my endo never calls back). I changed her to a 1:20 carb ratio instead of her normal 1:15 and decreased her Lantis by two. So today she has stayed from 90-150 and I think thats better! I was having to constantly feed her to keep her sugars up.

7. MamaC

MamaC Approved members

Heidi explained it just as our endo did. We are unbelievably thankful for Tom's honeymoon period, which is so far almost 9 months long and has had him on only 1 daily injection since June.

Becky

8. hallenbeckfamily

hallenbeckfamily Approved members

When Chris was dx almost 4 months ago we were soo grateful for the honeymoon period. He did not need hardly any shots and was a little easier. Then that all changed --one week it seemed his pancreas worked,little insulin,the next week on vacation and the amount of insulin that used to work didn't have any effect. It has been going on like this for weeks now. Insulin needs have greatly increased and everytime I give a shot I find myself hoping its the end of the honeymoon so I can stop wondering if I am going to cause a low for my child AGAIN cause the pancreas decided it would work today. I am tired of second guessing or giving not enough of a correction because I don't know whats going on. I had started to relax at the whole "D" thing thinking I understood,now I feel like its just like dx again. I keep wondering if the honeymoon is over. And sadly enough I want it to be, then what corrections I make are based only on his food intake (not accounting for sickness or growth I know) and not his body helping out. Please tell me I am not alone in this thinking???? It comes as a big surprise to me that I am happy about the thought of the honeymoon ending BUT I am.~~Jennifer

9. zimbie45

zimbie45 Approved members

I HATE the honeymoon phase, Heidi it great. At dx your bodys islet cells have only been distroyed about 90% ( give or take a few).. the remaining 10% go dorment, and no longer being attacked by the white blood cells.... hince of diabetes becomes more noticeable, WEll one you start insulin, your islet cells can now start working, so you dont need as much insulin as you did before.. Sounds great.. NO.... things are very spuratic, unpredictable and just plan not fun... it can last a few weeks even upto a few years,... YOU CAN even have MORE THAN ONE, WE have had at least 2.. if not 3... There is no rhyme or reason to it... each person in diffrent.. AND once the islet cells do start to work.. they too get distroyed completely eventually and THE HONEYMOONS over !!!

10. Elias's Dad

Elias's Dad Approved members

I too found myself looking forward to the honeymoon ending. We had a few months where we'd see high numbers, make adjustments of increased basal and gave corrections, those would work for a few days, our son's pancreas would apparently recover some, then it'd kick in insulin and we'd see lows. He's 2 years post dx and the honeymoon seems over (although we still have periods where we have to decrease his basal rates slightly). One more thing, just to show everyone is different, our son is 58 lbs and on average 16 units of insulin daily. That's not significantly different from when he was dxd at which point he was on about 10 units daily. Best wishes, Rich

Last edited: Jan 27, 2007
  11. Mariel's Mom

Mariel's Mom Approved members

But almost a Year and a Half

We were at our 3 month appt last week and my endo surprised me by saying he suspected that Mariel was still producing insulin - it has been almost a year and a half post diagnosis. He said it is unusual but not unheard of (I could not help myself- for a moment I thought - perhaps "divine cure" but of course I did not really believe that)

BTW have you ever noticed a trend that the one or 2 weeks or so before your endo appt your child's sugars miraculously settle down. Then start their taunting upheavals a week or so after. I swear it happens to me every time.