- advertisement -

honeymoon how long?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by caplaylolmay, Jul 31, 2011.

1. caplaylolmay

caplaylolmay Approved members

hi my daughter is 2 1/2 and was diagnosed 6 months ago this honeymoon thing is really getting to me the last week she was having lots of high readings and i thought maybe might be coming out of honeymoon i adjusted her insulin to control the high readings and all was going well then the last 2 days she has only needed her morning injections again none at night time at one stage a few months ago she was just living off 2 units of levemir a day one injection it has now incresed to more and we went back to 2 injections but now gone back to one
    is this what the honeymoon stage does stop and start all the time???
    how long did your honeymoon period last for?
    every time i think we may be coming out of it her body seems to kick back in and start producing more on its own in a way i cant wait for it to stop so things can be abit more manageable it seems to frustrate me at times.
    any info on this honeymoon stage would be greatly appreciated thanks nat.

2. Becky Stevens mom

Becky Stevens mom Approved members

Hi Nat, Im with ya there. I really didnt care for the honeymoon too much myself. Some days when there was no stress on Steven's body his pancreas would make lots of insulin. On others, when he was ill or tired or his blood sugars were high, his pancreas would take the day off:rolleyes: Steven's honeymoon lasted a good 6 months or a little more.

Youll know that the honeymoon is getting over if you have to adjust insulin to higher amounts and it doesnt come down again within a day or two. Growth spurts can also be the cause right now of needing more insulin. You kind of have to take it day by day and be careful of lows especially at night that may cause rebounds and subsequent highs.

3. minniem

minniem Approved members

I agree...my DS is still in his honeymoon (he was dx'ed 4 months ago). I thought he was coming out of it around a month ago...his numbers went really high and I had to increase all the insulin doses and then he was having a lot of lows about 2 weeks ago and we had to come back down. I think his pancreas got tired in the beginning of July and now it's perked up again.:confused:

We just saw the endo and they said he's still in a strong honeymoon. But I agree, sometimes it's doesn't really seem like a honeymoon to me b/c you just don't know when their pancreas is going to kick in and produce more insulin on it's own.

I just keep trying to focus on the fact that in the honeymoon I am not as worried about his blood sugar...sure it's fluctuates a lot but a lot less than other kids we know who are out of the honeymoon period.

4. ashtensmom

ashtensmom Approved members

I am loving DD's honeymoon period and hope it goes on forever! I dread the day that we have to give insulin at bedtime. Although, I don't know why because I am getting up in the night to check anyway. Maybe it's because I am more comforted by knowing it's her pancreas bring her BG down more than it's the artificial insulin.

5. rakgyk

rakgyk Approved members

My son is still in his honeymoon stage. He started Lantus in January of this year and Novolog this past May. His blood sugar fluctuates so much it drives me crazy. Today his morning and lunch numbers were amazing (119 in the morning, 101 before lunch). But his dinner and bedtime numbers were high (283 and 246). He also has days when his blood sugar is high almost all day, but he also has days when his blood sugar is really good.

6. MamaC

MamaC Approved members

Not to give you a headache...my son's honeymoon lasted 3+ years...STRONG for 3.

7. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

My son's honeymoon was about 5 months. Typically, the younger they are diagnosed, the shorter the honeymoon.

8. lauraqofu

lauraqofu Approved members

My daughter's honeymoon ended right when puberty hit big time and she started menstruating...about six months after diagnosis. I suspect that puberty played a big part in the end of her honeymooning. We saw numbers that we hadn't seen since the night she was diagnosed. Nothing in the world like seeing that big, cheerful looking HI on the meter. Isn't there some way they can change it so it looks less cheerful? :rolleyes:

9. ltomovski

ltomovski Approved members

Hi all
    I do think honeymoon is related to the control of the child .. the better control the longer the honeymoon is ..
    If you keep Blood sugar levels steady the Insulin producing cells that are left , are not working in a "stress" environment thus prolonging their life.
    I am sure you all know Somogyi effect ... imagine that you injected more insulin than needed enough to trigger the effect .. then .. after the BG rise there will be no insulin left to lower the raised BG so the B cells that are left will be forced to work as hard as they can to manage the HIGH BG ..
    Also it depends on how you were diagnosed ... how much of the beta cells were already dead .. A friend of mine kiddo was diagnosed within routine check so the first three years he was injecting two times a day with 1U insulin .. you can imagine that he was having lots of beta cells left at that point .. Others were diagnosed after very bad ketoacidosis so perhaps having more than 80% of dead insulin producing cells
    Hope I helped

10. mom24grlz

mom24grlz Approved members

hi there Ashleigh didn't have a honeymoon phase. But my SIL is going through the same thing with her son. She thought he was coming out of his honeymoon, he was running high after meals. So she started giving him insulin with meals. She set his I:C at 1:60. But now he's running low again. yesterday he took no fast acting insulin and he still had 2 lows. She's thinking about reducing his lantus to 1/2 unit. He only takes 1 unit right now. It's driving her crazy too. He was dx almost 5 months ago.

11. obtainedmist

obtainedmist Approved members

My daughter was abroad for 5 months and came home very sick and having lost tons of weight. So no, she didn't catch it early at all but she's been honeymooning (as far as her TDD goes) for a year now and still going strong. I don't know if your theory would hold based on our experience. Early on, she went to a JDRF mentor meeting and it was suggested that regular exercise helped maintain the honeymoon as well. Sometimes I just want to throw my arms up in the air with all these theories...and suggest that type 1 is as variable as the people who have it.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2011
  12. sarahconnormom

sarahconnormom Approved members

This is not necessarily true for all kiddos though. My son was dx'ed by us at home very early and was not admitted to the hospital. We were started on Lantus and within days had to add Novolog. The highest his a1c got at that time was 8 and was back down to 7 within 2 months. After that first 2 months his a1c was below 7 and has stayed between 6.0-6.8 for over 3 years now. He had absolutely NO HONEYMOON. Within a couple weeks of dx he was on 14 units of Lantus and Novolog with all carbs and 4 months after dx we switched to a pump.

By contrast, my husband was dx 21 years ago. He was in full DKA at dx and spent several days in ICU. Within weeks of getting out of the hospital he went into such a strong honeymoon that he required no insulin at all for 6 months.

13. Helenmomofsporty13yearold

Helenmomofsporty13yearold Approved members

re honeymoon how long?

My child had a 3 year honeymoon until puberty hit. Our doctor explained it by comparing the pancreas to an old car motor...sometimes it sputters and sometimes it vvrroooommms. The summertime required less insulin also because of the heat and they are generally more active.