- advertisement -

Honeymoon coming to an end?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by njswede, Mar 6, 2015.

1. njswede

njswede Approved members

DS has started to have high numbers we haven't seen before. 240 two hours after a covered meal and similar readings. However, sometimes we're also seeing lows seemingly out of the blue. Is this a signal the honeymoon is coming to an end? It feels like his panc is becoming more and more moody and unpredictable.

We're trying to follow the mantra "Keep calm and treat the number", but it's getting a bit harder to keep the numbers stable.

Is now when the real "fun" starts? :confused:

2. KHS22

KHS22 Approved members

So many things, could be sickness, growth spurt etc. You are doing the right thing with your mantra! But, for me, the biggest noticeable difference after honeymoon started wearing off, was the variability - highs and lows. When they still have some function, seems ot 'smooth out' the numbers. There was suddenly many more ups and downs...

3. njswede

njswede Approved members

"Life has its ups and downs" certainly took on a new meaning! :)

It just struck me that we're all suffering from a very low grade cold. Just enough to be slightly annoying. Could that be enough to affect BG?

4. aprilodell

aprilodell Approved members

I was told to look for trends. We are seeing more lows and not more highs, but we are now changing ratio again. I thought that they told me that I would see more numbers trending up..but maybe that is wrong.

5. njswede

njswede Approved members

BTW, "honeymoon" is such a misnomer! I feel like I'm fighting a very stubborn pancreas that doesn't agree with me. :)

6. nanhsot

nanhsot Approved members

Oh heavens YES. A simple cold can wreak absolute havoc with my son's numbers, both during honeymoon and today.

7. quiltinmom

quiltinmom Approved members

Not necessarily. It could be the cold he has. Or about a hundred other things. :)

My Ds, diagnosed at 7, was in "honeymoon" for about 9 months. For some it lasts even longer. So two months sounds kinda short, to me. But don't focus too much on that. When it comes to it, it doesn't matter as much as you might think.

But don't assume being out of honeymoon means it will be much harder. Don't be too afraid for it to end. It's not always worse, just different.

As for random highs or lows, Look for patterns; are highs or lows after a certain meal? Time of day? Physical activity? Highs after low treatment? Lows after high treatment? That is the key to figuring out what to change. Write down everything for a week or two. I like to see an entire week of bg numbers, doses and carbs on a single page. That makes patterns easier to spot.

Also, you can post a few days' worth of info here and people often have good suggestions.

Good luck!

8. njswede

njswede Approved members

Spoke to my endo NP today and she wasn't too worried about occasional and temporary lows like that, especially when he's got a cold. One thing we may do is to change his breakfast. He gets a waffle, and I'm suspecting it may spike his BG before his bolus has fully kicked in. We'll play around with different breakfast items and see if we can make it a little more stable.

9. BarbDwyer

BarbDwyer Approved members

Who knows!!! :) I have noticed higher numbers with even very slight colds.

The first 4-6 weeks my son required enough insulin that the endo said he didn't really get a honeymoon. Then - bam. He was low every night and during the day he'd go low with even moderate exercise. His pancreas woke up I guess and we scaled way back on insulin and we got the honeymoon. It has been 9mos now and we've been slowly ramping up. Still a bit of honeymoon I imagine - hard to tell with his "I'll test when I absolutely must and not a test extra." approach, lol. I'm guessing the spikes are there and ugly but we don't really see them because he doesn't test post-meal.

Test, treat, and move on is our approach too - what else can be done? I will say that life with to many lows was super stressful (even with an older child that felt them) so in hindsight I should have called the endo for guidance sooner, or just scaled back. I wasn't making any decisions on my own yet at that point. Things were much better with fewer lows.

10. njswede

njswede Approved members

Same story today. 214 90 minutes post breakfast. Endo told us to lower the breakfast bolus a week ago to prevent late morning lows. I guess we need to bring it back up again. He was fine all day yesterday, except for the post breakfast 234, so I think the lowered breakfast bolus is the culprit. Assess, adjust and reassess... Rinse and repeat!

11. njswede

njswede Approved members

...and I stupidly tried to correct it and sent him for a low. Poor kid to have to suffer for my stupidity! I think I've been through 10 test strips in the last two hours. :(

12. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

90 min is too soon to be fiddling. The bolus is still working. Do you have Ragnar Hanas' book? You should. It has clear information on everything, including insulin duration.

"Type 1 Diabetes in Children, Adolescents and Young Adults", 4th US ed. at Amazon, like $40, worth every penny

13. njswede

njswede Approved members

Thanks! Yeah, all I can say is I should have known better. I got the timing of his breakfast wrong. He's back to healthy readings again, so it's fine and I'll write this one up in the "stupid noob mistake" column.

14. aprilodell

That was happening to us, we did change the dosing and IC ratio but also added a large glass of milk for breakfast and that seems to keep him steadier throuh the morning.

15. aprilodell

hate when that happens..

16. njswede

njswede Approved members

I'm dreading sending that day's sheet to the endo NP. Looking at the numbers, it's so obvious that my brain wasn't hooked up. Or maybe I shouldn't beat myself up for something that I could fix with two boxes of apple juice?

17. jenm999

jenm999 Approved members

You shouldn't beat yourself up for ANYTHING. This is hard work and it's unrelenting. We all make mistakes. You caught it and you learned from it. That's a success in my book!

18. KHS22

KHS22 Approved members

Yup dont' beat yourself up for ANYTHING. There often isn't a 'right answer' - we do the best we can with the information we have at the time! And, whats even worse, if often what you do one time, doesn't work in the exact same situation the next time! Diabetes isn't a science, or black and white. It takes a bit of knowledge, a fair bit of experience, a whole lot of thought, and often some W.A.G (wild A$$ guess if you didn't know). You sound like you are managing quite well, and starting to think of all the various components that play a role in diabetes! That is amazing!

19. suej

suej Approved members

I agree with all the posters above. I often remember what someone posted on this board once: Einsteins definition of insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result. For diabetes it is doing the same thing over and over again and getting a different result. LOL. So not a science, much more an art/intuition and educated guessing and hard work. At the beginning when my DS went into honeymoon a useful thing the endo said to me was that if there was a pattern over 3 days (either lows or highs) then change insulin doses, so that guided me while dropping doses as he went into honeymoon then increasing them as he came out. Honeymoon lasted about a year for my son but minimum TDD was 5 u, Currently on about 38u. Also defined in some references as TDD < 0.5u/kg/day.

20. njswede

njswede Approved members

Well, it looks like that "minor cold" may have been something a bit nastier. I've been feeling under the weather for a while and developed full flu-like symptoms today. We'll see if DS does the same. I'm sure that's going to be "interesting".