- advertisement -

Honeymoon bites

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Pooh's Mom, Apr 12, 2012.

1. Pooh's Mom

Pooh's Mom Approved members

I have decided that I hate the "honeymoon" stage of diabetes. Just when you think things are under control it comes up and bite you in the butt. Whitney's numbers have been great since we left the hospital and then this weekend lows the whole time. They have continued even after adjustments from her endo. They had gotten to a good area and them huge spike to well over 300, nearly 400. The funny thing, only after three weeks of having to cope with this I already can read her. Moods, what foods are doing to her ( which will probably change) and if she doesn't eat in a certain time frame what happen. I just don't like the honeymoon. Just had to say that is all.

2. Becky Stevens mom

Becky Stevens mom Approved members

I didnt really like it much either;) And for the same reasons. I never knew when Steven's pancreas would decide to attempt to make some insulin itself and would deal with lows. Then I'd cut back on insulin, his pancreas would decide to take the day off and he'd be high:rolleyes:

Good for you for being able to see the difference in moods and how different foods are affecting her blood sugars. That will always be very helpful in getting some control (never complete control of course) over diabetes. When your daughter is low try asking her how she is feeling. In time she may be able to tell if she is going low or is low. When my son is dropping quickly he can definitely tell but if the drop is slow sometimes he cant tell until he hits the 50s or even 40s

3. Turtle1605

Turtle1605 Approved members

I'm pretty sure we are coming closer to the end of the honeymoon phase. My son's numbers were great and for about three weeks they were near perfect and then it happened! OMG...numbers were coming out of nowhere....9 looooong days of numbers in the 200's and 300's. I'm so scared of lows, I make changes very slowly, probably slower than I should. We went from 1/2 unit per 14 carbs all the way to 1/2 carbs per 8 carbs in that 9 days. We also increased lantus from 1/2 unit to 3 units in the same timeframe. I finally got a 147 after dinner and snacks last night. I had never been so happy to see a number in all my life! I was so relieved, I cried.

I didn't mind the beginning of the honeymoon. Partly because there were fewer shots and partly because there was still the lingering hope that it would go away! The middle of the honeymoon (after the hope goes away and there has to be multiple shots anyway) has just been a pain in the who-who.

4. Michelle'sMom

Michelle'sMom Approved members

Almost 2 yrs out of the honeymoon & this describes exactly what we deal with. The honeymoon is good practice for what's to come. :)

5. Ali

Ali Approved members

FWIW. Forty years as a T1 and the above is still the case...sorry:eek:ali

6. schurmz

schurmz Approved members

I agree!

Court, 12, was diagnosed this past Monday and already I am over this up and down period. We are devout Christian and decided to lay our storm at The Cross today. I know this will ebb and flow but I also believe. Her BS levels are all over the charts, 54 to 634 over the last 3 days since she left the hospital and we are still teaching her older sisters, 17 & 18, that it's NOT okay to give her Cookie Crisps when we don't factor that in to her equations.

YES, the honeymoon period blows! But according to everyone we've listened to, read from and inquired into, it does pass. Psalm 40:1-3

Terri

7. SandiT

SandiT Approved members

I'm so glad to find this. I am thinking that if this is how marriage "honeymoons" went, no one would ever, ever take one!

I'm exhausted with trying to get these micro doses right. I'm going to talk to my endo today, because 1/2 units aren't low enough now and it's making me crazy. Give not enough, and she's through the roof. Give SLIGHTLY too much and she's plunging to the 40s.

Whoever thought of calling this a "honeymoon" must have had the worst one on record, because this more like "dark night of the diabetic kid's parents' soul" stuff. Okay, okay, the dx and the hospital stay get that moniker. But this is definitely no honeymoon!

1/2 unit of insulin is too much... 1/4 unit is not enough... for the love of pete, PICK SOMETHING! :eek:

8. cdninct

cdninct Approved members

Have you considered asking for diluted insulin to get you through this period? It's annoying when you have to try to measure out 1/8 of a unit!

9. Helenmomofsporty13yearold

Helenmomofsporty13yearold Approved members

You may find that BG levels will fall on their own. It is hard to sit back when you see a high, but one cannot see patterns without that patience. I just looked at your profile to see how old your DD is. Mine was 8 at diagnosis and had very long honeymoon. If she was sometimes high before a meal, I would get her to drink a big glass of water and run up and down the stairs a few times or go out and skip a rope for a few minutes. She would drop by 75 (4) very quickly. I would take the honeymoon over the teen years any day!!!!

10. SandiT

SandiT Approved members

It's not so simple, lol. She's in a private school, and a lot of this is happening at school. They do go outside, and we've been struggling with that, too. That drops her BG, and then she's super low at lunch, so I've been sending extra snacks... but finding the snack that helps has also been a challenge.

There's just zero wiggle room, and almost all of it is dealing with school. I can't just keep an eye on her and test when I see her looking like she needs it... I can't just have her exercise, I sort of have to do it all with food and/or insulin and on their schedule.

I know honeymoon may be super long, but at least school will be over soon, lol.

Teen years. *cringe* I already wasn't looking forward to those, much less with diabetes. I feel for you!

11. Helenmomofsporty13yearold

Helenmomofsporty13yearold Approved members

I hear you. We had zero support in school when DD was diagnosed. I was always been more anxious about lows than being high during her honeymoon. DD was always much more interested in playing at lunch and recess than in eating snacks, so I had to adjust her insulin needs for no snack. I just could not trust her to eat a snack and her teachers never reminded her, even after we put a reminder on the blackboard. Her play would usually bring down the highs without corrections as she was extremely sensitive to activity...probably because she plays so darn hard.

12. MomofSweetOne

MomofSweetOne Approved members

Agreed 100%!!!

13. jellybeanasmommy

jellybeanasmommy Approved members

I think we are getting into that area too. DD was just dx'd 2 weeks ago and we saw the endo yesterday who said probably within the next week or so we may have to cut back her insulin. Funnily enough, her BG was 108 last night before bed, DH checked her at 3am and she was 209. SO this morning when I got her up for school I expected the 150's but she was 83! I know it's not a low but come on! What is up with these crazy fluctuations?!? Her dr said she is deciding her lantus dose based on her morning numbers and she has been steadily in the 100's all week after getting a 1 unit increase in her Lantus on Sunday (after all mid 250's last week), but now this was unexpected. *sigh*