- advertisement -

Homeschooling?

Discussion in 'Parents Off Topic' started by mamamccoy87, Nov 26, 2013.

1. mamamccoy87

mamamccoy87 Approved members

My dd has been dealing with abdominal pain since the end of August. She has constant pain, worse after eating amd exercise, nausea and vomits 2 - 3 x week. We have been trying to find out whats going on, amd have homebound tutoring. The tutor usually cones after the school day as she is a teacher. We have been trying to work on things at home but there is really no instruction going on. Dd has a pain appt tomorrow, amd we have a referral to Mayos in January. She has been on a bunch of different meds with no luck. If this continues we are thinking about homeschooling - she is losing skills. Alot of days she has pain where it is hard to work. Wondering how to get started homeschooling. She is in 7th grade - do you use online cirricula? TIA.

2. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

I'm sorry your DD is having such a rough time of it.

Do you plan on doing the instruction yourself? Do you feel that she'd do better with you than with a trained teacher? It is a lot to take on...

3. mamamccoy87

I thought about doing it myself. Or I am wondering if we just try to keep up with her schoolwork now - she is about a month behind - and I supplement the instruction - finding things online, etc. we really dont have a consistent schedule either. Alot of times she has pain at night and cant sleep - it hurts her more to lay down so alot of times we sit up and talk until she feels like she can lay down and I will rub her back or head till she falls asleep, many tines after 11 pm. Then up later because shes tired, throw in lovely blood suagr fluctuations, vomiting, pain - its a nightmare!

4. nanhsot

nanhsot Approved members

We are on year 12 of homeschooling with one high school grad who got into every college he applied to under our belt. I'm sending you a PM with my email address if you would like to delve further I can help. I've done every grade now!

We do not use a specific curriculum, some are online, some are weekly classes outside the class, some are local co-ops, some are strictly home based. I'm a big believer in customizing education by class to meet the needs of your student. I don't homeschool because of diabetes by any stretch, but it definitely made life easier when diabetes entered our lives.

One thing I will say is that IMO, homeschooling is a way of life, it's not what you DO, it's who you ARE. That distinction is important, if you are simply doing it to get over a health hump I'd stay with your tutor and the support of your public school. If you want to dive into home education it's wonderfully rewarding, but it is a lifestyle change.

5. StacyMM

StacyMM Approved members

We've homeschooled in the past. It was a very positive experience :)

With her age and with both of you looking at this at a stressful time, perhaps a virtual school would be an option? We've used K12 and Connections with great results. They supply everything you need, you are assigned a teacher, you complete the work at your own pace and at times that work for you. It makes it very easy to work around appointments and hard days.

Good luck!

6. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

My friends daughter is doing virtual schooling with very good results. They are able to set the pace.
    They supplement with a tutor in her weaker subjects (my friend works so she needs some assistance so she can see clients).
    Has anyone looked into the possibility of your daughter having abdominal migraines? Some of the symptoms she is having sounds like that. Obviously, I am not a doctor, but it might be something worth tossing out there.

I hope you get to the bottom of your daughters pain.

7. mamamccoy87

She has been treated with meds for abdominal migraines to no avail. Had an injection with lidocaine and cortisone trying to see if it was a trigger point musle. No luck with that.

8. sarahspins

sarahspins Approved members

I second this suggestion, we did connections academy for a year with our oldest when he was in 3rd grade and while it ultimately wasn't the solution for him for a variety of reasons, I was impressed with many aspects of it and would definitely recommend trying it. It can be an easy way to transition out of the traditional school environment without the overwhelming responsibility of feeling "all on your own". I know a lot of people who tried an online virtual school and went to more traditional homeschooling.

That said, there is one annoying aspect of all of the online public schools which is that you have to log attendance, and you must maintain a certain amount per day, regardless of how long your child actually spends doing schoolwork. You can be liberal in your classification of what "educational" is though, it doesn't always have to be time spent working on assignments. If my child spent an hour doing school work (some days that's all he needed) and 6 hours reading, or two hours collecting bugs in the back yard, I didn't feel bad about counting all of that as "school", even if the directions from the school were pretty clear that it shouldn't count - don't get too hung up on that aspect, just mark whatever is required and move on :)

9. Megnyc

Megnyc Approved members

I missed the vast majority of 4th and 5th grade and parts of 3rd and 6th grade due to cancer treatment. I will share what we did and maybe you will get some ideas from it.

The overall goal was to keep me on track with my peers. I was at a school that used an accelerated and enriched curriculum so it was a challenge. I was also pretty sick so there were weeks that would go by that I could not accomplish anything. Basically though, we just followed the exact same curriculum as I would have had at school. I used the same textbooks, read the same books, and did the same worksheets and projects as my classmates. We used AOL instant messenger (not sure if that still exists...) for me to ask my teachers any questions. 2-3 nights a week I would log on, as would my teachers and I could ask any questions and they would go over key points with me. It was easier for me to type than speak so that worked really well. The hospital in Memphis had its own school but I was too immunocompromised to attend. A teacher would come to my room (in a mask and gown of course) and provide 2-3 hours of tutoring a day using whatever my home school had provided. I believe the state of Tennessee paid for that. When I was in NY but still too immunocompromised to leave the apartment, the NYC DOE paid for a tutor for a few hours a week. My parents hired a high school kid to handle math since I was in a calculus class at that point and the city wouldn't pay for a tutor for that, since it isn't technically 6th grade work.

Overall, I think it was good that I did follow the exact same curriculum as my classmates. My tutors used the lesson plans sent from my school to try to ensure we covered everything. There were/are certainly some gaps in my education though. I am not sure that is because topics were missed or because I was just too sick to absorb the information. My parents didn't even try to teach me because I was a ridiculously stubborn kid and would have just fought endlessly with them about everything :eek:

I would also look into "Hopecam" and similar organizations. I know there are a lot of ways now to use technology to allow a homebound student to attend school virtually.
    http://www.hopecam.org/home.htm

I'm not sure if that is useful or not but I thought I would share how we handled it. I hope your daughter gets some relief soon.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2013
  10. nebby3

nebby3 Approved members

We homeschool too. I have a dd with D and my son had a headache that lasted 2 years and homeschooling definitely is a good option when kids don't feel well so they can work when they are up to it. We were already homeschooling though. If you plan for her to go back to school I would try to stick to the subjects school is covering -- ie do American history the year they do it and so on. I would think any whole curriculum you buy as a set whether online or not could make you feel overwhelmed if you can't get it all done because she's sick. I would try to keep up with math and then read a lot of good books on whatever topic you are studying. She may end up learning a lot more that way. Maybe you can read to her when she is up and in pain. Audio books are great too.

11. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

Does the school offer any type of video feeds for kids who are out due to illness? We had a student at our school who had a life threatening disease and he could not be in the general population because he had had a bone marrow transplant. So, when he was up to it, he Skyped in and had a general feel for what the class was doing. From what his mom said, he didn't necessarily do the work, but he did listen in. Then, when the tutor came, she would go over what the class had worked on. So, while he was being schooled at home, he wasn't neccessarily being home schooled (as in the traditional sense of you controlling the lessons). He was doing the curriculum of the school, just at home. He missed 2 years of school, but yet managed to stay on track with his peers (with the help of the tutor) and always stayed in the same grade level as them.

12. mamamccoy87

Thanks for the replies - we are going to try to keep up with the schoolwork as our hope is to get her back to school eventually. She is behind and doesnt always want to work on her schoolwork so it is a challenge. We are hoping to get answers soon - heading to Mayos ina couple of weeks - and we are thinking she may have a compressed artery to her stomach - now if we can get the docs to look for that before they try to write it off as "functional abdominal pain".

She didnt like the idea of skype and i dont know if that would work as far behind as she is.

Meg, thanks for all the ideas and the hopecam link. Will look into virtual school - school mentioned compass learning for second semester - i am hoping she will be back to school for that!