- advertisement -

Homeschooling

Discussion in 'Parents Off Topic' started by FloridaMom, Oct 8, 2010.

1. FloridaMom

FloridaMom Approved members

I know I've seen a few signatures that say "homeschooling" (I should probably add it to mine now).

Who is homeschooling? What is your daily schedule like? I work for our family business too, so during the day he also comes with me to work. His attention span lasts about 15 minutes at the most, so I try to do a little bit here and there throughout the day rather than sitting him down for hours at a time. I know that would be a total power struggle. We just started about 2 weeks ago (he was dx'd a month ago today). So far we're using Hooked on Phonics, Explode the Code, and Math U See. I'm about to order social studies curriculum from Lamp Post. What curriculum do you use?

2. Lisa P.

Lisa P. Approved members

No expert here, but my favorite when my kid was your age was this one.

http://www.amazon.com/Teach-Your-Ch...1985/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1286557330&sr=8-2

Nice little chunks, low pressure, each 15 minute lesson has about 4 lessons within it so we often cut a lesson into pieces.

Have fun with it all! If you give him the chance to learn stuff, he will, they are great at that age, aren't they? He'll probably learn more from going to work with you than from any one curriculum this year!

Sounds great, have a ball!

3. PrimAdonna

PrimAdonna Approved members

Hello!

We use Math U See and love it. The blocks are used for math, log cabins, fences, towers and projectiles (when I step on one :D -the "units" HURT!)

I have 4 in school. It took me about 10 minutes after the doc told me I was expecting #4 to realize that I would go nuts with 4 completely separate grade plans. Two years ago we bought Tapestry of Grace (TOG) and it has helped keep me focused.

I STINK at all things grammar and LOVE science and history. Because of this I needed something that was strong on grammar. TOG has a great program for literature and handwriting and to it I add Easy Grammar. It's inexpensive and really is easy :) The TOG is expensive up front but it has all 12 grades so in the long run it will be cheaper.

This year for my 1st and 3rd graders I bought Click N Kids Phonics. It is all online. It allows me time with the others who need 1 on 1 math help. It also helps the little ones with their typing/computer skills... and it was cheap through Homeschool Buyers Co-op. We were going to purchase a foreign language program when we found out about the diabetes. I put it off until we saw how big a hit the meds would be :(

Our schedule is relaxed most days. They have chores (feeding and walking their 4 dogs) before school so we start around 8:30 or 9. Usually done with the hard stuff- math, grammar, writing, history- by lunch. History and science is done all together using lapbooks.

The library is a great source! Use it! They have books on everything and will save you tons of money. Also make sure you google subjects. There are so many free worksheets out there!

Great to meet other home schoolers on CWD! :)

4. PrimAdonna

PrimAdonna Approved members

Just saw yours are 6 and 5... JUST HAVE FUN! Go on trips, read to them, and enjoy the great out doors!

You might like "Five in a Row" http://fiarhq.com/fiveinarow.info/index.html Very inexpensive, fun, easy, and the library has most all of the reading books!

5. Megszers

Megszers Approved members

I'm home schooled. I'm using A.C.E
    lol I thought it was kinda funny I've actually done Math U See, Hooked on phonics, and Explode the code when I younger :p

6. nanhsot

nanhsot Approved members

We are long time homeschoolers, on year 9 now and in for the long haul!

I surely miss kindergarten-3rd grade though, enjoy this time, it's the best time to homeschool (high school is not so much fun, still worth it, but tougher!)

We've always used Math U See and still do, loved explode the code too, I coupled that with phonics pathways. We did history instead of SS, used a more classical education approach (Well Trained Mind oriented) with the study of ancients first, cyclical, rinse and repeat type thing. For that I LOVED The Story of the World. Loved it, did it twice and could do it again happily. If you are looking for an early grammar program I also loved their First Language Lessons. Now that I say that, if I were starting again with an emerging reader I would probably use the Wise's reader program too, can't recall the name of it but go to Peace Hill Press for all the above.

To answer your question we use MUS, Total Language Plus, Apologia science, Notgrass history (high school), Hakim's Story of US (Jr. High history), and then IEW for writing. My son attends a weekly co op for his chemistry and english, my daughter for General Science (but I teach that one to a group). Rosetta Stone for spanish but about to switch to something else, Latina Christiana for Latin but ha, never really get to that these days. Football and volleyball have taken the place of latin, sadly for me, happily for them.

There are other things we use (geography, typing, dailygrams, map reading, critical thinking skills) but the above are our base, the rest is icing.

I LOVE curriculum, I'm a junkie!

7. Nancy in VA

Nancy in VA Approved members

There are a ton of us - I was doing a weekly check-in for a while but got sidetracked.

My oldest was homeschooled for 4-6 and went back to public last year for 7th (she's 8th now).

My middle has been homeschooled since 1st - he's 5th now and will go back to public next year in 6th

Emma is a Kindergartener this year - after two years of going OUT to preschool, she is now home with me. I'm having trouble keeping her challenged, and her work is barely taking and hour, so its tough with an older who has several hours of work

8. Teacups

Teacups Approved members

We've homeschooled for 7 years and this year is our first time in a community school (2 days @ school/3 @ home).

Our curriculum has been centered around Sonlight. They have a fun PreK and K program. Lots of reading and cuddle time, plus an easy intro into the 3 Rs.

This year my younger 2 are doing the school's curriculum and enjoying the team-teaching approach. My oldest attends public 8th grade.

You'll find your groove with a routine, even if it takes a bit. Working probably adds another dimension to your day! Enjoy the journey!

9. Karenwith4

Karenwith4 Approved members

We in our 7th year of homeschooling now. My kids are 12, 9, 9 and 7 and each of them would be hard to pin down to one grade level.

We are parent directed for skills (literacy, numeracy and critical thinking are the main ones) and kid directed for content. For my younger kids we have used Miquon, Singapore and Hands on Equations for math, along with living math and for language we use/used Explode the Code, Teach Your Child to Read in 100 easy lessons, All about Spelling, Evan Moor's Language Fundamentals, Advantage Grammar, Bravewriter.

We often describe what we do community based education as we use a lot of hands on community programs and events, co-ops, community lectures, volunteering/activism and field trips to spark our learning.

Our typical day (except Friday) is table time at home in the morning after our morning meeting (takes about an hour a kid but it is somewhat staggered to give me time to work with each child) and then we go out in the world for the world for the afternoon. If we aren't out we are likely doing some read alouds, craft projects, science experiments, or some kind of online learning.

I agree with Nancy that homeschooling with younger kids is tonnes of fun.
    Karen

10. ecs1516

ecs1516 Approved members

Wow, we have kids about the same age. I homeschooled my oldest until last year and he went into school in 7th. He is now in the 8th. My younger is also homeschooled and is in the 5th grade.

11. Lovemyboys

Lovemyboys Approved members

Hi. My son was diagnosed just a few days after yours, so we are very new to all of this too. I've been doing what I call "homeschool lite" for these past few weeks so we can relax, learn about T1D, and give the other boys the attention that they were missing while Owen was in the hospital.

Here's a list of curriculum that we are using:
    Math-U-See
    Story of the World
    Spell to Write and Read
    Apologia (Elementary Astronomy)
    Latina Christiana I and Getting Started with Latin
    Easy Grammar

Like I said we're going very slow these days - that's the beauty of homeschooling, we can go at the pace that our family needs during this time!
    Incidentally, carb counting and carb ratios are great "real life" math lessons. Our older two actually enjoy helping us figuring out carbs and how much insulin Owen needs.

-Sara

12. cockatiel

cockatiel Approved members

We've homeschooled for the past 18 (gulp!) years -- two kids in college now (both homeschooled all the way through), one 11th grader and then our D 9th grader.

Homeschooling the younger kids is fun -- enjoy your little people!

(Homeschooling the older ones is great too -- but in a very different way. I do miss the projects and the snuggling up to do massive read-alouds)