- advertisement -

Homeschoolers!

Discussion in 'Parents Off Topic' started by Twinklet, Jun 16, 2008.

1. Twinklet

Twinklet Approved members

Can we talk curriculum? I'll be kinda new to homeschooling this fall (I HS'd #1 for K, but does that really count?).

Let me know your thoughts on the following:

Math: Teaching Textbooks (www.teachingtextbooks.com) for oldest, and Singapore for youngest

Language Arts: Easy Grammar plus Daily Grams for oldest (who just had 5 years of A Beka), and A Beka for youngest

I'm kinda doing my own thing for history and science, since those are our strong points. Lots of "real books". I'm looking at TruthQuest History right now; I want to stick with American History this year and transition to ancient history later on.

I'm not sure what to do about Reading. Both kids read exceptionally well and far above their grade level. Both read almost constantly. Youngest probably needs a reading comprehension program to cover the bases. I also think I'll stick with A Beka phonics for her.

How about spelling and writing? I have a few ideas on these but can't make a decision. Youngest needs to learn cursive this year and has been using Bob Jones. Oldest needs to learn more sentence structure and writing paragraphs, etc. She got a little of that last year, but not nearly enough.

Any thoughts or suggestions are appreciated!

2. WestinsMom

WestinsMom Approved members

I use an online cirriculum through www.time4learning.com for our math and language arts. The rest we do on our own.

3. Pam H

Pam H Approved members

I can talk way too much about homeschooling. My family once owned a small homeschooling book business. So, stop me if you feel the need. :rolleyes: We've been hs'ing 11 years. Next year, I'll have a Junior, Freshman, 7th grader, 4th grader, 2nd grader and a pre-K.

We use Tapestry of Grace, a history curr/unit study that covers history, literature, geography, writing comp among some others.

We use Apologia Sciences.

We use Math-U-See for the lower grades and ChalkDust Math for the upper maths.

We use a variety of language arts for different learning students. I've used First Language Lessons and then we use Rod & Staff English or Shurley Grammar. We use Spelling Power, Explode the Code, Vocabulary from Latin Roots, Megawords.

We also use Latin Road to English Grammar. Critical Thinking Press and Building Thinking Skills for logic.

We are starting Institute in Excellence for Writing (IEW) this year (again).

We have used and loved TruthQuest History. We've also used Easy Grammar once upon a time. We also tried Teaching Textbooks.

hth

4. Twinklet

Pam, what are your opinions on Easy Grammar and Teaching Textbooks?

I went to a curriculum fair recently and fell in LOVE with Apologia books!! We'll definitely be using those for high school. Do you use the lower-level books for your younger science students?

5. Pam H

Pam H Approved members

Hi Andie,

I think that EG along with Daily Grams will be a great change of pace after 5 years of Abeka. I like to change grammar approaches every couple of years so that they can learn other methods. EG teaches the student to locate and eliminate prep phrases first. Shurley Grammar has an auditory approach that several of my boys need. R&S is inexpensive, non-consumable and extremely thorough! It also includes creative writing and sentence diagramming. I am unfamiliar with Abeka grammar.

BTW, R&S has a great early math program as well.

My dh is the upper math expert and he didn't like TT. I think its that he really does like the teacher on ChalkDust. It wasn't the curriculum that he didn't like, he just liked CD better. At any rate, we don't use TT any longer.

I have used the lower grammar Apologia Sciences. They are wonderful!!

I like to buy used when at all possible. PM me if you are interested and I can point you to some good used curricula boards. This is the time of year for buyers. ;)

6. CButler

CButler Approved members

Easy Grammar was a godsend for one of my daughters. She's like me, we want to get to the point-not too much detail. It made it all so clear to her. She loved it.

7. Nancy in VA

Nancy in VA Approved members

I use a variety of things.

I use Sonlight for History. It is based on literature with a couple of "textbooky-type" spine books.

I used Sonlight LA this year for my older one. Didn't like it that much. I want more of a grammar instruction than they offer now.

I use Saxon math for my older (8/7- Prealgebra) and Horizons for my younger. They are very similar approaches. I am keeping my younger in Horizons as long as possible because he has hand strength issues and I don't want him having to "copy problems" from a book onto his paper just yet.

For science, I have used My World Science the past two years. I like it because its also book based, but they went out of business. I have scarfed up all the other subjects that I could, but I should really find something different for my middle schooler now

We use Wordly Wise 3000 for Vocab and I like it a lot. I used Sequential Spelling for my non-natural speller and it has really helped her. I used Reason For Handwriting for each of them, mainly because they had both learned to write in school before I started homeschooling and it was closest to D'Nealian

I used Latin for Children for my older one this year - I really liked it a lot. I also use some Bright Minds logic books too. Not as much as I'd liked to.

8. Pam H

Pam H Approved members

I have heard great things about time4learning, Michelle. How do you like it?

9. Mama2H

Mama2H Approved members

We have been using time4learning with Mackenzie to suplement her school work. She was behind and struggling in the classroom and this online program has really helped Mackenzie WANT to learn again. Before this she had no interest in learning at all :( I plan to start Bella on the preschool version this fall and Hailey is doing her grade level over the summer to give her a boost.

10. dqmomof3

dqmomof3 Approved members

I use time4learning as well, and we love it! Jayden used it for third grade and Joseph for fifth. The next year we used Sonlight, which I also liked - especially the new Lanugage Arts program! Sequential Spelling and Grammar Ace made the program for us - Grammar Ace comes with the Schoolhouse Rock DVD - remember those segments on Saturday morning cartoons?

Jayden will be in fifth grade this year, and if we continue to homeschool her, we will be using Time4Learning again.

We have also used Teaching Textbooks and Apologia sciences. Recommend both highly!

11. momtojess

momtojess Approved members

Thank You!!!

I am going to get Jess signed up. I have been wanting to give her alittle extra since she seems alittle on the lower end of average (she is also a young 2nd grader, she wont be 7 till the end of sept). She isnt the type that will sit and learn at the table, but she loves to play on the computer.

12. Twinklet

nowimscrappin--I fell in love with Sonlight and went to one of their workshops. I REALLY wanted to use it but since my kids are so far apart I'd have to either use 2 of the cores or heavily supplement for one child or the other. It seemed like a lot of work to do it that way so I gave it up. If my kids were closer in age I'd definitely try that one!

I have Wordly Wise 3000 for my youngest and Vocabulary from Classical Roots for the oldest. DH really wants to teach Latin--maybe next year. I'll look up the one you used. Thanks for that!

dqmomof3--thanks for the opinion on TT and Apologia. I've met few who have used either and it helps to know it worked well for you!

Thanks so much to all who responded! We're entering unknown waters here but we're all excited about homeschooling. Now I'm off to look at time4learning!

13. Nancy in VA

Nancy in VA Approved members

Twinklet: I combine my kids on cores in Sonlight. I do NOT do 2 cores.

We have done Core 3 and Core 4 the past two years - older was 4th and 5th grade and younger was 1st and 2nd grade. He's a good reader, but not THAT good. I just really went and got some "younger" Am History books on the same time period for the readers that he couldn't read - and he listened to the read-alouds and the history reading with his older sister. Worked great. This year, he could read probably 1/3 of the readers that were easier.

We are doing a Core 6/1 combo next year (provided I keep my older one home). I will use the History and Read Alouds for Core 6 as the main part - both will listen to those out loud. Then, older daughter will do the readers for Core 6 and younger son will use the Read Alouds and History reading from Core 1 as his "readers".

I actually have a plan to combine at least two of my kids all the way through - not that I expect to homeschool through highschool - but I came up with a plan that will work.

14. WestinsMom

WestinsMom Approved members

If anyone would like to use me as a referral for time4learning, I would appreciate the free month! mcurtis596@aol.com or Michelle Curtis (not sure what they ask for)

15. frizzyrazzy

frizzyrazzy Approved members

Ok, I have a question maybe related, maybe not.

We don't homeschool and I have no desire to do so. lol...but...Ian is not challenged in school, AT ALL. (I blame NO Child Left Behind, becaus what that really means is "no low child left behind but we don't give a crap what happens to the top kids")

anyway, I have been looking for something to supplement his regular school work. He LOVES doing school work type stuff as long as it's challenging to him. But I never know what is a good place to get curriculum for him. I"d like to have something for him to do each day during summer vacation. He's 7 but he's doing math on a roughly early 6th grade level (which probably means nothing) but at school he has to endure addition and subtraction. uggh.

so who has good stuff for someone like me who isn't looking for a whole curriculum? Just some supplemental work?

16. Mama2H

Mama2H Approved members

Michelle, I would do the time 4 learning. They can help you place your child at the appropriate level work for their ability. It is not a "whole" curriculum from what I understand. Mackenzie does 1 lesson a day and it takes her 1/2 hour to an hour depending on the work. I would prefer she would do 1 segment a day but she cannot sit still for that long :(

If anyone else wants to use me as a referral if they don't use westinsmom please pm me :)

17. vettechmomof2

vettechmomof2 Approved members

well, does he like drill work for math? If so thenwhat about basic workbooks from places like Walmart or Sam's CLub. What about reading? What areas do you want to let him work on and can you just give him a notebook, magnifiying glass and tell him to explore and research. Bird watching and logging that then turining it into graphing. It really depends what you are wanting him to gain here.
    Allene

18. frizzyrazzy

frizzyrazzy Approved members

that's what we have blood sugars for ROFL. Diabetes is great math fun LOL.

But, I've never really found workbooks that hold his attention for long, and mostly they just reinforce skills he already has. He needs something to teach him new skills and then build on the skills he already has. For basic drill work, I print off math worksheets for him. He adores this when we're going someplace and wants something to keep him busy. lol He just loves math. For reading and science, he has no trouble finding things to occupy him..its just the math.

19. CButler

CButler Approved members

20. thebestnest5

thebestnest5 Approved members

Another question is how much time do you want to personally put into helping teach him or do you prefer a more self-taught type of work? How much time per day are you envisioning that he spend on this supplemental/challenging work?

Last edited: Aug 29, 2008