- advertisement -

homeschool

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by shirley83006, Nov 23, 2010.

1. shirley83006

shirley83006 Approved members

I have posted about my daughter not doing well with her stomach. and had ketones present, and now ketones are clear, but still having problems, it seems that she is just taking on too much, too much anxiety, she gets all knoted up in her stomach when she goes to schoool, there are no problems with students and or teachers. We are having much hard to deal with things going on at home, and i guess she is having too much presure at school. So after talking to the teachers and getting all of my options, it was either homeschool , or this program called hospital homebound program, and discussing these options with shannon, she was just happy about the homeschool. I always hated it, Thought it was best she be in public school. But if going to school with anxiety, it was making her sick, and ketones was becomming present because of it again. and the stomach problems would not go away, she is sooooooooo excited im am confident that this is the best thing for her.

2. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

I can't possibly know all the factors that are contributing to your dd's situation, but really, from your post, it sounds like the school is passing the buck and not helping you address what is at the root of the problem.

To really resolve her stress issues you have to find out why school is causing her stress. If you have always hated the idea of home schooling and if your daughter's issues aren't stemming from a physical problem then it seems to me that the options of home school or a "hospital" program (I admit I have no idea what this would be) are not appropriate solutions.

Are you confident that the problem isn't social, or perhaps related to her class placement?

Last edited: Nov 23, 2010
  3. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

I agree, it sounds like the school is taking the easy way out. I would request an eval from the school social worker, they would be able to dig down deeper than a teaher who only sees her in a large group.

Obviously, you need to do what's best for your daughter, but as a taxpayer, you are entitled to the school exploring all options for you too.

4. KRenee

KRenee Approved members

Homeschooling is a great option. More work for you at first, but may be best for your daughter.

Good luck - let us (homeschoolers) know if you have any questions.

I've been homeschooling my two kids for 8 years.

from my daughter:

Hi there! I'm Becky, KReene's 14 yr old. I have been homeschooled for most of my life and I love it! School was very stressfull for me too, and now that I've been diagnosed with diabetes, I'm not sure how I would have handled it. Homeschooling made life a lot less stressful for me. I can always have my insulin if I need it (no running to the nurse's office), I can sleep in and work later in the day if I've had a rough night with D and I can take a math test later if my number isn't behaving so I get the score I worked for! Also, if I'm sick for a day, I don't miss anything, I'll just do it tomorrow.

Another thing I love about homeschooling is the kids are a lot nicer! They don't tease you about what you wear, they won't steal your lunch and won't pressure you to do things you don't want to do. Even the boys are nice! ;)

Finally, since I left private school, my test scores have improved! I hope to be attending a junior college next year. I'm not a genius, I simply work hard and do well.

Overall, I think homeschooling is a fantastic alternative to public school. I'm sorry to say this, but I really don't think the public school is going to do much to help your daughter. I don't know if they'll be ABLE to do much, depending on what's wrong. If you or your daughter want to talk to a homeschooler or ask some questions, email me! I do love to talk... :)
    Wrap up of why homeschooling is so great:
    Go to amusement parks on a wednesday morning!
    Left over steak for lunch and no line at the microwave!
    Nice kids who don't pick on you for being you!
    Better diabetes control!
    Get some sleep when you need it!
    Check out this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J1z_zMtofvY

Becky

5. StacyMM

StacyMM Approved members

I homeschooled for three years, enrolled the kids this year and am planning to pull my daughter out soon (but my son is staying.)

I never expected to be a homeschooling mom but it has worked out really well. I agree with the others that the schools *should* work with you to figure out problems, address issues and help you...in our case, it just isn't true. My issues aren't d-related, ironically, as they have been pretty good about that. I just regret that I have kept her in so long while trying to 'work through things' with the school - she's been needlessly miserable and completely unchallenged for 3 months and I could have ended it sooner :( Once we have our work schedules arranged, we'll be back to homeschooling one of the kids :)

Public school is a great choice for some kids and homeschool is a great choice for others. As a mom of one of each, I can vouch for that ;)

6. shirley83006

well, i have posted on her situation, she has been having problems with her stomach for a month now., first it began with the fact it was diabetic related. I took her to the doctors and found out she had high reading of glucose in her urine, and then called her endo and then they had me check her ketones, and she had moderate amount. They told me anytime she has stomach problems to always check for that. And since her blood sugars were crazy, it was all because of her injection sites. Her insulin was getting absorbed like it should. Since then we have got her cleared up with that. But her stomach continues to bother her, not all the time, only when she goes to school and i have noticed when she goes to our religious service. she get anxious. we are loosing the house, and see feels alone, having all the brothers and sisters out of the house. and money problems, and most of all diabetes, thats enough right there. But she has missed so much school due to her stomach, taking her out early alot. missing alot of work, she has always done well in school up till now. She is getting overwhelmed. And as far as the teachers, she has been in this school for 4 years with diabetes, and they are used to dealing with her. They have been very coroporative , in helping her. I just feel that at this time, that homeschool is the thing for her.The school has been working with me for sometime now. And dont feel that they are giving up on her. I am looking forward to seeing a happier child, and her diabetes getting more under control. And that is what is important

7. Christopher

Christopher Approved members

You need to do what you think is best for your child. But I totally agree with Sarah. I am not judging at all, just giving my opinion. I would want to find out the Root of where this anxiety is coming from. Simply removing her from the situation may not help. And you should also think about the message that is sending her. When things get tough, or scary, we just avoid the issue. And it is not just school, you indicated she gets the anxiety at religious services. So clearly something else is going on that has nothing to do with school. So are you going to not have her go to Church? And what if the anxiety starts manifesting itself in other places? You can't keep her away from everything.

Has she been evaluated for Celiac?

Have you talked to her and asked her to articulate exactly what the anxiety is about? You said she feels all this pressure at school, but you also said there are no problems with the teachers or students. I would assume if you home school, you are going to have just as rigorous a curriculum as at her school so she does not fall behind. The expectations are still going to be there for her to perform, so I would think the anxiety would also not go away.

It sounds like you have a lot of personal issues going on (financial, house, etc). Have you determined that you are really going to have the time and resources it takes to properly home school? I really do hope you find out what the problem is and get her some help, whatever that may be.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2010
  8. Lucky 868

Lucky 868 Approved members

I'm sorry to hear about your daughter's school issues and everything else your family is dealing with. What a stressful time for all of you.

I homeschooled by sons from grades 4 and 5 through high school and it was wonderful. They are both in college now and doing well. The beginning is the hardest part but it gets easier as you go along and get into a system and routine. I'd be glad to answer any questions.

Good luck,
    Cyndy
    Mom to N, 17

9. LizinTX

LizinTX Approved members

My daughter also has troubles with her stomach, to the point that she is anorexic, she doesn't make herself throwup though, just doesn't eat. We had to get her counseling, it has helped tremendously. She was dx'd with Generalized Anxiety Disorder, basically she just internalizes everything and I do mean everything. Through therapy she is learning how to cope with every day stress as well as the "big" stuff. She is actually gaining weight now too.

Counseling doesn't have to be expensive, if your insurance doesn't cover it, there are usually services in every town where counseling is either free or done on a sliding scale.

Good luck with homeschooling, we love it and have been doing it forever, mine have never gone to public school--except to vote.

10. StillMamamia

StillMamamia Approved members

Does your endo team have a psychologist who could help you and your daughter work through all these issues? Someone who could do it for free? I think the first step would be counseling. As much as homeschool sounds like it would resolve the anxiety problems, it will not solve your current situation, which is stressful enough.:(

Also, have you noticed if she gets stomach pains after certain foods? Chris mentioned testing for celiac. I think this is important to find out.

Hope you figure out what is going on and most of all that you make the best decision for your family.

11. shirley83006

yes, she was just recently tested for celiac. My daughter is a child who has always been open to me about things. and always tells me if anything is wrong. and i am always in contact with teachers, and no i wont keep her from church. Its not like this has happened all of a sudden. I have investigated every thing to find out what could be wrong. Not only myself, but the help of the doctors, and the staff at school. I have already found a homeschool, its a virtual homeschool. and i am a stay at home mother. and it requires not much on my part. and this is something that she can go at her own pace. No pressure. Becky in one of the posts who is homeschooling says it all.

12. FloridaMom

FloridaMom Approved members

I started homeschooling my boys a couple of months ago and we LOVE it. There are so many resources out there for parents now. If you have any questions, feel free to ask!

A few perks - we got out of bed after 9 this morning, went to the park for 3 hours, went to my office for a couple of hours, and now we're doing school. :)

13. pianoplayer4

pianoplayer4 Approved members

I did not read all the posts but I think that if you want to try home schooling then you should go for it. I have been home schooled since 2nd grade and love it I did try a cyber school last year which was good too but ultimately homeschooling was a better fit for me. Homeschooling allows you and your daughter a more flexibility, if you guys have a bad night, you can sleep in a bit ( or rather, she can) you can talor school more to her needs. my sister loves art so when she does history she often make art projects to help her learn ext..
    some things to think about though are

what kind of things does your state require for you to home school (in my state you have to register as a home school for each child home schooled and at the end of the year you must go to an evaluater who will look at examples of your childs work and write a letter to the state saying she has completed grade#)

How does your daughter work? does she like to teacher herself things? will she let you teach her? that is important. if she does not respond well to you teaching her you may want to look into a cyber school, they can also be low stress but you would not be her teacher, you could just help her if needed.

is she very social? there are many groups that are low stress and meet once a week or so, often they offer music art and gym and often they will perform plays and music recitals.

:D:D:D:D:D I am a homeschooler who loves her family, has great social skills with people of all ages (better than some who go to school;)) I am not a nerd, I don't wear jean skirts to my ankles, and you would not know that I was a home schooler had I not told you:D

I say go for it! if it does not work out then you cann just enroll her in school in the middle of the year (not ideal but....)
    I hope the best for you and your daughter:)
    if you have any questions please message me, or if your daughter does. My mom ran one of teh groups I talked about and is a certified evaluator so I ahppen to know quite a bit on the subject=D

sorry this is so long:rolleyes:

14. 3boys1girl

3boys1girl Approved members

My daughter has complained of terrible stomach pains ever since diagnosis. Just this month the celiac panel showed a positive on one of the top three indicators. We don't have a diagnosis yet. Waiting on our appt. with the G.I., so celiac is definately something to keep in mind.

As to the homeschooling, we homeschool all of our children and always have. It is not easy, but it is rewarding. We were already homeschooling our oldest when our dd was diagnosed and I have to say I couldn't imagine intrusting her care to a public school. (Where we live there aren't many nurses at the schools). Best of luck with your decision. You have so many options with homeschooling.

15. Karenwith4

Karenwith4 Approved members

I'm always baffled by this logic.
    If an adult has a situation that is untenable for them, the logical thing to do is look for alternatives that will get them what they need - so look for a new job, decide to cut back on volunteer commitments if they are overloaded, leave a situation that is unhealthy rather than trying change things that won't change (and a school environment falls into that to category IMO) or pull back and rebalance their lives if that is what is needed for their health. Coming up with an alternate isn't necessarily avoiding the issue - oftentimes it addresses the issue.

OP I think it is great that you are in a position to help your daughter make this transition.
    Good luck with your homeschool journey. We love homeschooling and wouldn't have it any other way.
    Karen

Last edited: Dec 9, 2010
  16. Becky Stevens mom

Becky Stevens mom Approved members

There are more people homeschooling now then ever before it seems. Schools have become factories for producing children that can pass tests. Many of them are not free thinkers nor are they encouraged to think for themselves.

Children that are homeschooled often go on to college and are far ahead of their peers because they havent been held back while the rest of the class is catching up. The kids can work at their own pace on things that interest them. I dont homeschool but feel that it would be an option that I would pursue if my children really weren't happy in school and werent working up to their potential.

I think youve made a good decision for your daughter and your family and if you feel that its not working out or if she expresses that she would like to go back to school you would have that option.

17. Christopher

Not sure what is so baffling. My point was that the OP might want to look at the underlying cause of her daughters problem. It is not just happening at school. Simply removing her from school is probably not going to help her find out what is at the root of the problem. Additionally, we are talking about a child, not an adult. Adult problems/situations are often handled much differently than a child's problem.

18. nanhsot

nanhsot Approved members

Good luck! We're half way through year 9 of homeschooling and wouldn't have it any other way. Our initial reasons for starting bear almost no resemblance to what motivates us today, so remember that what spurred this change may not be what keeps you going. Her enthusiasm is half the battle, run with her energy and make it work for both of you.

You have lots of help and resources here, don't hesitate to reach out.

19. wilf

wilf Approved members

I'm with you Karen. :)

I've found that one of the secrets to having a happy, fulfilling life is to identify people and situations that cause me undue stress and to avoid them.

20. Christopher

Well, that is a very simplistic response and yes it may work for adults in certain situations. The way this situation has been described, it is not about home schooling, it is not about the school, it is about a problem her daughter has that has an underlying cause, that may be unrelated to school. I still stand by my opinion that finding the underlying cause is going to benefit her daughter much more in the long run, than simply trying to ease the symptoms in the short term. Just my 2 cents.