- advertisement -

Holloween

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Brideyful, Oct 13, 2009.

1. bgallini

bgallini Approved members

Ever since my boys were young, long before D, I never let them eat the candy right away. Yes, when they were really young, we only went to houses of people we knew but I wanted to start out with the same rules we would have once they got older and went to more houses. No one eats anything until we can get home and I can check over the candy. I toss out anything that seems 'tampered' with. We also limit how much they can eat that evening and ration it out over a couple of weeks (and finally throw out a bunch of it.) Since this started long before D, it was easy to continue after D dx (which was just a couple weeks before Halloween one year.)

Oh, and I also often give out toys. And have recently started giving out small bottles of water too....they love it!

2. simom

simom Approved members

We too partake enthusiastically in Halloween - but even before D we limited how much of the initial "haul" we let them eat that night. We use the rest of the candy for things like lows, and a occasional treats with some set changes (so we can bolus a small amount of insulin through the new set - sometimes we also use nutritious food for this).

One further tip:If you get a "fun size" candy and you don't have the carb count, you can weigh it, and look up the info for the full-sized candy in Calorie King or another website - then adjust accordingly. Snickers, for example, has "bite size" "fun size" "snack size" "full size" and "king size" - eek!

Happy Halloween!!

3. Melancholywings

Melancholywings Approved members

I'm horrid:D
    When Bean was really young (to young to notice) I used to 'sneak' out a bunch of her halloween candy, save it and stuff her xmas stocking with it. And then I'd do the same with Easter and those hollow eggs. I reused the same candy over and over again and she'd never notice. And then the left overs were always thrown out the following Halloween. This is our first T1D halloween and we have two 'candy' jars at home. One is for sugar free the other for sugars. She gets to keep what ever fits in the jars for future treats and after a couple of weeks the left overs (all the stuff she doesn't really like) goes to our work.

4. Brideyful

Brideyful Approved members

Thanks so much everyone!:D

5. jewlzann

jewlzann Approved members

letting mine go...

Hi I am letting my kids do their trick or treating. We will just ration out the candy, mabye add it to lunch, or give an extra shot occasionally. When we were first dx'd, I thought no, but I want to keep their lives as normal as possible:)

6. BellasMom

BellasMom Approved members

This is our first Halloween with D. We don't eat too much sugar in this house for other health reasons, but I didn't want to take trick-or-treat away. A friend told me her daughter has the "Switch Witch" come to her house on Halloween night. So the kids get to have their fun...pick a couple pieces of good candy and then they leave the rest of it out that night and the Switch Witch will come and take the candy and leave a gift/toy. So it's a win win situation in our case!

7. GabriellasMom

GabriellasMom Approved members

Halloween is still the same for us as it was pre-D. Last year we found that running from house to house made Gabriella run low and she could endulge in the candy without insulin.

8. Jake'sMama

Jake'sMama Approved members

It's our first Halloween too. We'll handle it the same as any other year - we pass out candy for awhile, TorT around our few streets, trade out of our bowl for what they don't like and eat about 5 pieces that night. If it's more than Jake's snack we'll just give him insulin for it. I was never one to let them eat a ton of it in one sitting - we do a few pieces each day.

The one thing we are doing differently is going to our local JDRF candy free party tomorrow. Both kids are really looking forward to it - me too, in fact. We are going to meet some new families with D.

Enjoy!