- advertisement -

hole cutter for Flex Fix?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Snowflake, Nov 16, 2015.

1. Snowflake

Snowflake Approved members

A couple of posts recently have mentioned a hole puncher to punch a hole in Flex Fix around a Dexcom transmitter. Anyone know the name of this handy device or can provide an Amazon link?

2. rgcainmd

rgcainmd Approved members

I use a hole punch that I assume was designed for scrapbooking. I'll try to find an Amazon link. I have a bit of a problem with the size of the hole, however. The same shape but somewhere between "slightly" and "kinda" smaller would be preferable, as the larger the hole, the more the Opsite Flexifix tends to fold back on itself. (Anyone who uses Opsite knows how "fussy" it can be!) The other issue, which I've solved, is the problem with the punch "blade" not wanting to cut through the Opsite without releasing. All you have to do is fold a piece of paper headed for the recycle bin in half so the Opsite is in the center surrounded by paper on both sides. The line up your punch and punch away. I use the 4" Opsite now because the 2" didn't leave enough Opsite on the long edges of the sensor tape. Cut a strip of Opsite longer than the length of the sensor tape (how long to cut it is determined by how long you want the Opsite to extend past the sensor tape on the top and bottom) and punch the hole lengthwise, if that makes sense. I had had good intentions of posting a YouTube video showing how I do this, but I just haven't been able to make the time... And you know what they say: The road to Wal-Mart is paved with good intentions.

ETA: Don't forget to round the corners, as it really makes your tape job last longer. I've had the Opsite last for 2 weeks without shoring it up, and my daughter is a soaker! Also, someone mentioned not changing a sensor either right before or right after bathing and I believe this, too, makes a big difference.

EATA: If I don't get around to finding a link for the punch, and if someone wants to beat me to it, measure the length and width of the opening you need for the plastic part of the sensor and try to find a rectangle or tag-shaped punch that is just slightly larger.

3. jenm999

jenm999 Approved members

I have one you can have. PM me your address. We have best luck with rock tape and it's too thick for the punch.

4. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

I just fold the tape and cut a triangle. Works perfect. A bit of trial and error to get the right size, but it works well for us. Triangle seems to be a better shape than the circle as you get more tape coverage.