- advertisement -

Hockey players - do you wear your pump while on the ice?

Discussion in 'Sports and Athletics' started by Tigerlilly's mom, Aug 21, 2008.

1. Tigerlilly's mom

Tigerlilly's mom Approved members

Tyler will be getting the pump this hockey season and I am just curious if most hockey players wear their pumps while skating. I am assuming that Tyler could just attach it to his "girdle" under his hockey pants and it should be okay there.
    Any input is appreciated - thank you.

2. HockeyAndSoccerMomof4

HockeyAndSoccerMomof4 Approved members

Congrats!! :) Nick isn't pumping yet so I can't offer any advice but I just hope your start goes well. What pump did you choose?

Tigerlilly's mom likes this.
  3. Tigerlilly's mom

We didn't choose a pump really - tyler is participating in a study through the Joslin Clinic - he has done MDI for the first year then he switches to the minimed pump for the last 6 months of the study.
    Thank you for the well wishes:D

4. T1Spouse&Proud

T1Spouse&Proud Approved members

I don't wear a pump ( heck I'm not even diabetic), but I have played hockey since I was 9. So as far as the equipment goes, if he were to wear it, I would say the best place is above his hips. Like the same level as his belly button, but on his side, if he is right handed then put it on his left side and vice versa (people are most likely to check on the side their handed). The top waist pad of his girdle should cover it and that area should get minimum impact as his arm and hips should received most of the impact in a check. You might want to use a belt of some sort to keep it there, maybe a belt and some tape?

Hope this helps.

5. Tigerlilly's mom

Yes, it does help. Thank you.

6. Claire64

Claire64 Approved members

Landon wears his pump sometimes when he's playing, for long practices and games without intermissions. Other times, for anything under an hour, he takes it off.

Landon clips his pump on in the front, directly onto his hockey pants, and he hasn't had any problems.

I think this video might be helpful, it's how we figured out where to put the pump.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nxlIf3pusKM

7. NHL-go-pens

NHL-go-pens Approved members

I'm a goalie so I keep my pump on my back in-between padding. Only once my pump got hit ( and broke) from a puck. I didn't wear any padding to the "practice" and someone shot a puck when I was coming out and it hit my back I went to the er because my back hurt like it was broke. That's when I discovered it was split. (dented in) oops it taught me a lesson!