- advertisement -

HIPAA laws and public high school

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by maryellen816, Apr 24, 2009.

1. maryellen816

maryellen816 Approved members

I just found out that when my daughter enters her lunch code into the computer to purchase lunch, the fact that she has Type 1 Diabetes comes up on the screen for the lunch cashier to view along with who knows what other information. And evidently, the lunch lady is with the food police. :mad:

I called the school and they will speak to staff about not making comments on Megan's food choices. But I also want to make the point that nobody should be knowing her private health information except the people who are trained to deal with it and the people she or I choose to tell.

So does anybody know the rules for school?

2. KitKat

KitKat Approved members

This sounds like a possible HIPPA and FERPA violation. I would point this out to the school system and they should correct the issue.

I hate the food police....we have those at our school too! :mad:

3. Kalebsmom

Kalebsmom Approved members

This is the same for Kaleb. However, it does not bother me. They have never tried to monitor what he eats. It is more so if he is having a low and needs to go to the front of the line they know it. All of the Type 1's have this info on their records.

I should add the only people that can see it are the lunch people and any current teacher he has.

4. frizzyrazzy

frizzyrazzy Approved members

why on earth would they need to know that? That for sure sounds like a privacy issue.

For us, I am very specific though with school - Ian's a young child and I'd rather everyone at school know. What if the janitor saw him staggering in the hall way? What if he walks into the office and is incoherent or crying? So I tell his nurse that she's allowed to tell anyone that she thinks needs to know. So..could our lunch people know? Probably, but in our case, that's probably good because he gets his insulin first and often has to wait in line to get his milk, and i know many times they let him jump the line, so they must know. But if he were 15 - I think I'd have more than a little bit of a problem with it.

5. maryellen816

A little knowledge can be dangerous...

I think it is important for certain people to know at school but those who know should be trained on what it is and what they need to do about it. Otherwise, that knowledge is pointless and a violation of our privacy and potentially dangerous.

Having this cashier know, without any training, and with her being one of those judgemental people who think they know what it means, it was actually dangerous. Megan was feeling low and chose poptarts along with her turkey wrap yesterday. She could have just got some of her candy out of her purse but she was hungry and seconds away from sitting down and eating and poptarts is what she wanted. Well, the lady saw the word diabetes, saw the poptarts, and put on her food police badge held Megan up in the line to ask her if she should be eating that sugar.

Megan was embarrassed and feeling low and just wanted to go sit and eat.

6. selketine

selketine Approved members

I think it would be a violation if you did not agree to share that information. If they have the information they should be not be using it to tell the kid not to eat something unless that is what the parents and doctor have ordered - and still I don't know if that is appropriate.

I think it is important for the lunch staff to have awareness of certain medical issues (like which children have food allergies - William has severe food allergies) so I'm sure I have given consent to share William's information with any staff and teachers - anyone that may have contact with him. If he drops his lunch on the floor or if they have to substitute a different lunch or etc. it is extremely important that they are aware (in our case) of his food allergies and diabetes. They are wonderful about it and will make sure he gets another lunch that he likes that is safe for him to eat.

7. emm142

emm142 Approved members

The lunch assistants at my school know, so that if I'm looking low or say I need to get food quickly, they can let me through or grab a juice for me. I have also had to run to the canteen during the school day when I had a hard to get up low, and ran out of food, and they gave me juice etc. The guy who runs the school canteen does have a son my age with type one, though, so he understands better than some people might.

8. tbcarrick

tbcarrick Approved members

At our school you must have the doc fill out a form....This is ONLY
    for information purposes.(ie: sick in line,not enough lunch money,etc.)
    We are not allowed to say ANYTHING to the child about his information
    or food allergy.The only time we can say something is if the child
    doesn't have their 3 components,or not enough in there account for extras.
    I guess every school is different. Becky

9. blessed

blessed Approved members

School lunch

I would want them to know...but I would NOT want them being the "FOOD POLICE." This is a catch 22. If they don't know and the child needs help...and now in your case, you feel they are being intrusive. This is a tough one. Try approaching it kindly and sweetly. You may get in the good graces and get the results you are looking for if you approach them with kindness. So sorry you are having a tough time with this. No fun:(

10. zoohouse3

zoohouse3 Approved members

Our school does this. The reasoning is that if the child is having a low and needs juice/food and no money in their account, they will give them whatever they need, no questions asked.

11. maryellen816

Well, the head of food service explained that they are part of a Federal program which allows them to provide a hot lunch to any child with diabetes regardless of whether there is money in their account. So that is a valid reason for food service to have her medical information. But...

1. My daughter and I didn't even know about this program so if she didn't have money in her account, she would either use her own cash or borrow money. She wouldn't just go through the line without money. So I made the point that if they have such a program which requires her medical information to be put out there, then we should be told about it and either opt in or out. How else can we take advantage of it?

The medical information shouldn't just go from nurse to food service and bypass us.

2. The lunch lady has no training on what to do with that information. Her only purpose in knowing is to allow a credit purchase. The food service director is going to speak to her and apologized to me because she shouldn't have said anything to Megan. I think her screen should just say"always allow credit purchases" and not display "Diabetic". This is a huge high school with a huge cafeteria. She would not be any help to my daughter especially since she is clueless.

12. selketine

selketine Approved members

I'm glad you found out the reasoning why they were noting it in their system though I agree that "always allow credit purchase" is enough. It is great your school system allows this - the implementation could use some adjustment.

13. sam1nat2

sam1nat2 Approved members

Every single staff person at school knows Sam about Sam. A picture of him and other diabetics as well as those with severe allergies requiring epi pens are circulated to staff at the beginning of the year.

We had issues once where he bolused for "doubles" of a certain item and the lunch lady didn't give it to him---thankfully he found someone that would help him and explained to them.

I'm glad they all know, like others have said, if they see him acting funny, they will be quick to get him the attention he needs vs letting him act wierd.

Hate to say it, but we can't have it both ways. We can't expect privacy, then expect others to bend over backwards to accomodate our kids. I'm one to let go of privacy in favor of allowing others to help, which includes knowing his condition. He is in now way ashamed of having D, just a part of who he is, just like his blonde hair...

14. momof3sons

momof3sons Approved members

If you fill out a health survey at the beginning of the year making the school aware, they are free to share that information with school personnel. Otherwise, not.

15. deafmack

deafmack Approved members

I am sorry that Megan had to deal with the Food Police at lunch. I know how maddening that can be. I just hate when those food police pay me a visit. Personally I don't think the woman had a right to say anything. It wouldn't matter if it was diabetes or anything else. What happened if the person had to eat something because they had plain old hypoglycemia and not diabetes or what happened if the person had a specific allergy and the only thing available was the pop tarts that the person could eat? The lady in the school lunch room should have not said anything. It was Megan's choice to eat a pop tart and she should have that right.

16. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

The original post is over two years old. ;)

17. lynn

lynn Approved members

That's so funny! When I saw this this morning I was surprised to see her back. I suppose I should have looked at the date.

18. tbcarrick

tbcarrick Approved members

hi..I am a cashier at a public school,and I do have an alert put on my sons file.The reason we have the alerts is so that if the child has an allergy to anything or a religious preference for meat it will alert us.Yes,I do take food away and offer other choices,BUT ONLY if the child is allergic..or say we have pepperoni pizza,we exchange it for cheese.UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES are we to EVER voice our opinion on WHAT THEY have on their tray..My son has never had any problems,his alert is ONLY there for severe lows in line or if he needs extra food..I would definitely talk to the head worker and cashier..or the principal, these are violations of your child's rights.Not all of us are bad..LOL :D

19. Amy C.

Amy C. Approved members

The OP still posts every month or so.