- advertisement -

Highs, lows, and basals, oh my!

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by CaitlynGrisham, May 13, 2012.

1. CaitlynGrisham

CaitlynGrisham Approved members

I have a slew of numbers that I am trying to make sense of. I have allergies and I can hardly think straight. Could I get some help? D:

Numbers --
    12:30 AM - 148
    8:30 AM - 132
    11 AM - 61
    11:30 AM - 84
    2:30 PM - 93
    3:30 PM - 62
    6:15 PM - 61
    8 PM - 66

My basal rates are:
    12 AM - 1u/hr
    2 AM - 2u/hr
    4 AM - 3.2u/hr
    8 AM - 3.9u/hr
    12 PM - 3.75u/hr
    3 PM - 3.85u/hr
    6 PM - 3.2u/hr
    9 PM - 3.1u/hr

I hear people talking about basal rate testing, but I've never done any myself. How do I do that? How do those work? I think I may need to try that, but I'm not sure.

2. misscaitp

misscaitp Approved members

Are the numbers given the common occurence over the past couple of days? It's easier to help if there could be at least 2-3 days of data.

For basal testing it basically works by providing as little external affects to your blood sugar as possible. Its a way to work on basals, and then from there you can work on correction factors and carb ratios. I attached the times (its the picture attachement) to test your blood sugar depending on what part of the day you want to basal test.

Generally the main rules that I use:
    1. Limit the amount of carbs eaten, meaning if you are hungry stick with low carb or no carb options such as eggs or meat and cheese wraps.
    2. If at any time your blood sugar falls below 70 or 250 stop the test and treat. From there you should now where you dropped or rised.
    3. NO Exercise (meaning unless you do the exercise on a daily basis around the same time, skip it for the basal testing, if you drop with a less than daily exercise its a Temp Basal issue)
    4. Usually you want to increase or decrease the insulin amount 3 hours (whatever you insulin duration is) before the hypo or hyper event.
    5. For me, an increase or drop greater than 30 points means something needs to be adjusted.
    6. Make sure you set the alarms for either yourself or your parent that is helping you, if you miss a test you've essentially missed 6 hours.
    7. Do not do the basal test if you are sick, that just further messes up your basal rates.
    8. (Optional), once making an adjustment run another basal test within a couple of days from the first one.

3. momofone

momofone Approved members

That's a lot of basal rates. I know our hospital raises red flags when there are less than 2 or more than 6.

4. Tricia22

Tricia22 Approved members

I have ALWAYS changed the basal rate for when the drop or rise starts... since the onset of insulin action now for apidra, novolog, and humalog is generally 15 - 20mins. (give or take) and the peak is 1 - 2 hours (give or take again), and it's completely done and out of your system within 3 hours or so... I always change the basal time when I have the BG that I need changed or at MOST 1 hour before the rise or drop STARTS...
    This is what I have always been told, this is what I have always done, and this has always worked for me... but I guess there are different schools of thought with which basal to change in relation to when the BG rises or falls... and, as always, YDMV.

5. emm142

emm142 Approved members

Where are the boluses in there? It's hard to tell without knowing when the boluses are, but I would guess that your basal rates need to be lowered across the board.

6. wilf

wilf Approved members

Were these your blood sugars going carb free for a day?

7. sarahspins

sarahspins Approved members

Honestly, I would set a flat basal rate and then do some basal testing to get it figured out again... you have a huge swing in your rates which may be complicating things. I used to have a ton of different rates but what I found is that it didn't really give me better control as compared to starting over with one and then making changes as needed - now I only have 3 rates throughout the day (I do rely on temp basals a lot though - but every day is different for me in terms of activity).

Maybe set a flat rate of 2.5u/hr and then start basal testing and see where you end up.

Basal testing is as simple as skipping a meal (and snacks within a few hours of that meal) and testing hourly.