- advertisement -

Highest reading on a home meter

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Brenda, Oct 17, 2010.

1. Jessica L

Jessica L Approved members

I dont really either it was in the 500's but yeah my brain hearing I dont something went out when I heard she is diabetic with blood sugar of 5??. It came back to hear she was going on a helicopter ride and we had to pick what hospital we wanted her to go to. I have no idea what her a1c was then either. They didnt even tell us but I assume they checked it.

2. selketine

selketine Approved members

William was in the 400's when they checked his bg with a regular meter at his doctor's office after his urine came back with sugar in it. I think we were lucky to catch his diabetes a bit on the early side - no ketones or other problems.

I saw a post here that the person said the child's number was in the "low 600's" and I asked what meter they are using - cause I didn't know any that would go past 600 that is on the retail market.

3. virgo39

virgo39 Approved members

Well, the meter at the ped's office said "HI," which I figured was probably worse than "MEDIUM" or "LOW". It think I have some paperwork from the hospital that has that information on it, but I can't retain it ...

It's enough that I can remember that a Ritz Crackerful has 17 g. carbs and a half-cup of milk 6 g.

4. emm142

emm142 Approved members

Yeah, when the meter at my doctor's office said "HI" I assumed it either said "HI" or "NORMAL" - I didn't realise that "HI" was really really high.. :eek: In many ways, it's probably lucky I didn't.

5. Gaia

Gaia Approved members

Joey was 1180 at dx. They used a regular meter testing the blood from his finger. He was walking and talking. THAT surprised the heck out of them!

ETA: I asked the dr at his last appt what his A1C was at Dx and she said 14!