- advertisement -

High sugars...ideas?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by lauraqofu, Jun 17, 2010.

1. lauraqofu

lauraqofu Approved members

Cass has been running high the last few days..in the low 200's. And now she's at 350:eek:! I gave a correction and gave her her dose of Lantus. I put in a call to the endo today, but it was late in the day, after I got finished wrangling with Medi-Cal and the pharmacy about payment issues, and they didn't get back to me. She has no ketones, thankfully, but does this sound like we need to adjust her insulin? And since she's running high even in the morning, I assume it's her Lantus that needs to be adjusted. Man, if only we could have an endocrinologist come live in the closet...:rolleyes:

2. BeerMargaritaMom

BeerMargaritaMom Approved members

In my humble opinion I would say you are correct - it is a basal problem.
    looks like you are fairly new to the D world and you have already figured out that high sugars repeatadly - especially in the morning are likely a basal problem. In this early in the game it is hard to know how long the honeymoon period will last and frequent adjustments (weekly/bi-weekly) of the basal insulin will be the norm until the honeymoon ends.
    Best always to weigh in with the endo on all adjustments so everyone is on the same page.
    Hang in there - with no ketones your kiddo isn't in any serious danger tonight and surely the endo will call tomorrow and help with the basal adjustments.
    good luck and way to be in the know already.

3. Heather(CA)

Heather(CA) Approved members

Could be a growth spurt...Is she running high all day but staying steady at night? If she's going to bed at a good number then going high then yea she needs more Lantus...

BUT, if she's staying steady at night even if it's in the 200's then it's the fastacting. Use the three hour after dinner and the morning number to adjust Lantus.

IF she's still high after 3 hours during the day, she needs more fastacting.

She needs more of SOMETHING, but I would not change both at the same time.

Does that make sense?:cwds: