- advertisement -

High Sugars and spillng some ketones?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by missjenec, Aug 27, 2012.

1. missjenec

missjenec Approved members

My daughter is 4 and was diganosed with type 1, 6 months ago. She has been a real trooper. He last test aug 7th a1c was a 7, which her endcronologist was very happy with. She eats very well and is on lantus and humalog.

Her numbers have been mixed the past few weeks. 100's and 200s, There were some 300s as well. We dont know why, I have been giving her more insulin and today we checked her urine and there was a trace of keytones.

We took her to her pedi and they saw acid in her urine and a trace (lowest end) of keytones.

Any insight of what to do? what could be causing this sudden change?:confused:

2. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

Best thing to do would be to be in contact with her endo/CDE, log everything and try to get her bgs back into range. Trace ketones are not something to get too worried over - good to check, but not really a problem at that level.

3. Amy C.

Amy C. Approved members

I would be asking for diabetes advice from your endo, not the pediatrician.

It is quite common for the blood sugars to range from low to high with Type 1 diabetes. We make imperfect pancreases. There are lots of reasons the sugar is high. Most likely, the insulin injected didn't match the food eaten - probably the food raised the sugar before the insulin lowered it.

An endo would know that trace ketones are nothing to be concerned about.

4. DsMom

DsMom Approved members

Congratulations on the great A1c! Sounds like you're doing a wonderful job.:)

As others have said, trace ketones are nothing to get too worried about. After dx, we were told to contact the endo only if ketones were moderate or higher. For trace ketones, we just try to get him to drink as much water as possible...and to address any obvious problem that caused his BG to rise.

Unfortunately "sudden change" is something you will need to get used to with D.:( Sometimes, there are explanations for these weird changes...sometimes, there are not. If you are seeing 200s and 300s on a regular daily basis, some change needs to be made to your child's insulin. However, an occasional number in the 200s or even 300s is perfectly normal for most people I'd say, and often pretty unavoidable.

If you are seeing these high numbers at a particular time of day each day, then you need to tell the endo that so you can make an appropriate change.

5. steph

steph Approved members

Your daughter could just be growing, or her pancreas could be on it's last legs of insulin production. There are a number of things that cause haywire numbers. I hate it when DDs numbers are all over the place. We had weeks of random highs, and that is when we added lantus back into the mix (she had been off it during her honeymoon). Keeping a good log of BG, insulin dose and carbs is critical to see patterns and make adjustments. Personally, I tend to make adjustments very slowly since my DD is so little. So I'll change basals 1/4u at a time or ICRs by 2-3 carbs at a time until we get it right. Then it seems like a few weeks later, it's time to change it up again. Kids just need a lot of tweaking on their dose bc their little bodies change so much.

6. missjenec

missjenec Approved members

I actually contacted the endo, the only reason the peditrician came in was because, my daughter had a few peeing accidents and I was concerned of a UTI, she also was due to get a vaccine for school. It JUST so happened at the right time that they also tested her for ketones.

As for her Endo- I contacted them-- they have yet to call me back. Which isnt fair for me as a parent.

7. TheFormerLantusFiend

TheFormerLantusFiend Approved members

For me trace ketones often means something is wrong- especially it can mean I didn't eat enough or am dehydrated, but also happens if I'm nauseas and especially after I throw up.

However, in 2011 I spent months with trace to small urine ketones for no apparent reason. Endo was as baffled as I was. The blood ketones were mostly 0, so that was very reassuring.

8. emm142

emm142 Approved members

I get urine ketones a LOT, and blood ketones much less often. I don't really understand why it would happen, but I trust the blood ketones when assessing the severity of a situation.