- advertisement -

high school - semester abroad

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Juliefx, Apr 8, 2007.

1. Juliefx

Juliefx Approved members

My daughter (16, pumping) wants to travel abroad for a semester next spring to a Spanish speaking country. Anybody have any ideas or good programs to suggest?? Most look good via the internet, but I know that is not so. Help! I'm very nervous about this.

I've never posted before, so I'm not sure if I've done this right. Thanks.

2. Jeff

Jeff Founder, CWD

A semester abroad sounds wonderful, and I encourage you to work to make it happen.

Obviously diabetes requires that you plan more carefully, taking into consideration the kind of diabetes care in the host country and accessibility to emergency care (just in case).

Supplies should not be an issue, because you can ship what you need periodically.

CWD has visitors from around the world, so once you have some options, let us know -- you'll likely hear from families in the potential host countries.

3. Boo

Boo Approved members

I can't be of any help specifically, but just wanted to give you my support.

My son is only 11, but I've often thought that I'd like for him to have opportunities like this when he is older. My husband did an unofficial exchange program during the summer (arranged through his French teacher). He spent a month in the south of France with a family who spoke only French (except their high school aged son-who was there at the time)...then the French boy came to the states and spent a month with his family.

I am hoping someday to find a family of a type 1 diabetic - preferably of the same age (perhaps through this forum) that would be interested in a similar type thing. Or at least to find a host family - I know I would consider being a host if asked.

Good luck to you and your daughter, I hope you are able to find a program that is suitable for you. If you find anything good, please pass the info on to us!