- advertisement -

High School help

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by melissajm, Feb 17, 2012.

1. melissajm

melissajm Approved members

I am starting to think about High School for Ben next year.:eek: For those of you with high school aged kids, how much of their care do they handle on their own and how much is the school nurse involved? Did you make any changes to their 504's when they went from middle school to HS?
    We will be having a transition/504 meeting in May but I want to start making a list of changes & questions now so I am well prepared!

2. Amy C.

Amy C. Approved members

I had my son switch from the school having a little responsibility to them having almost none. Basically, he is allowed to treat his diabetes anywhere on campus. The teachers allow him to treat his highs or lows as he decides it is needed. He can eat and drink in the classroom. He can test and give insulin in the classroom. They are to give glucagon if he is unconscious or seizing.

They have no monitoring role. That switched back to me looking at his meter every day.

I also included that he could treat during a test without penalty.

3. KatieSue

KatieSue Approved members

We have basically the same things Amy does. She only sees the nurse if she's high/low and not feeling well. Or she forgot something. We keep extra supplies and juices/glucose tabs in the nurses office.

4. lilwitte

lilwitte Approved members

When I was in high school (no nurse) I handled all of my care on my own and I had extra pump and low supplies in the office as backup.

5. LJM

LJM Approved members

The only role the health office has is to hold extra supplies and offer emergency medical aid (glucagon) if needed.

DS does all his own care and has only been to health office to change a cartridge once this first semester of high school.

I think this is pretty typical of all the other high schoolers too.

We have a 504 pretty much says:

use bathroom without restriction or see nurse or designated aid if needed for health issues
    permitted snacks and able to eat whenever, wherever
    immediate access to all supplies wherever he is on campus
    BG may be taken anywhere
    IF impacted by high or low during test--permitted to take at another time or retake as necessary and can take any supplies into testing session or take breaks as needed
    extra time to finish assignments if he has to take D related breaks
    not penalized for absenses due to medical appts. illness visits to nurse or time necessary to maintain BG control

6. L101418

L101418 Approved members

All of the above plus "allowed to have extra time, if needed, to complete larger assignments and class projects"

7. Tamara Gamble

Tamara Gamble Approved members

It depends. My son is 17 and if he's low they need to know and they need to stay with him. If he's high, they need to know because he gets spacey. He's responsible for his care but if he's high or low he still needs help sometimes. If he's passed out they need to administer glucagon. There still needs to be a communication system. He could do whatever wherever from the time he was 11 so that is all the same. They still need to make accommodations academically if needed so they need those numbers. They need to have a plan in case of an emergency. Our plan has not changed much.

8. Kaylas mom

Kaylas mom Approved members

Kayla does see the nurse every day at lunch still just because we are still less than 2 years into this. But.. she can test anywhere not take a test if too low/high and make it up later if she does. Can have extra time at lunch to eat or she can go early to get food before class is dismissed. One thing we did put in there was seating.. she wanted to be near the door at all times in case she needed to leave so it was a clean shot out and not bothering too many people. She also has a laminated pass and doesn't need to tell the teachers why she is leaving the room, she gets that privilege as long as she doesn't abuse it.

9. caspi

caspi Approved members

I have no advice as my son is only in 7th grade and don't want to derail the thread, but wanted to say that I think it is VERY important as they transition from elementary school to middle school (or junior high, depending on what they call it ;)) that our kids be given more responsibility. My son does still check in with the nurse once a day, but that's to write down his #'s. She said the "hands-off" approach is important as they get closer to high school and I couldn't agree more.

10. bnmom

bnmom Approved members

Last year (our 1st year of D) Bobby was middle school and I had the school involved in monitoring and care.

This year as a freshman, he does all his own care at school, nurse/staff is only for glucagon if needed.

His 504:

Test/treat/eat anywhere, anytime
    Restroom pass on demand
    No penalty for absences
    Extensions on deadlines
    Can text w/mom anytime
    Gets preferential scheduling

11. Tamara Gamble

Tamara Gamble Approved members

Tyler does his own care but they still have to turn the numbers in so someone knows whats going on so they are accommodated academically if need be. Tyler has always done his own stuff since he diagnosed. At home he's good. When he's at school for some reason when he's high he does not realize his stuff is in the office. He has argued with and convinced the principal twice that he needs to go to his car to get his insulin and pod, even though everyone knows it's in the office. It just one of those things. I don't want him wandering around alone or anything. I'm not sure why this happens so I still keep all of that stuff in there.

12. Tamrantula

Tamrantula Approved members

Our situtation is a bit different. My 3 high school boys go to a "non-traditional" high school. The school is based in the park--with 8 portables at the entrance that make up the "main" part of the school. Then they have classes in the woods, in the zoo, on the beach, at other schools across town...all over!

They only have a nurse one day a week--and my kids are not even where the office is all the time. So, the other 2 boys know how to help out my DS if there is a problem--always hoping that at least one will be around if there is ever an issue at school. So far, we have been lucky, but this is the first year. He carries a bag with him, with spare supplies, and juice/snacks for lows. Unfortunately, he has a sweet tooth, so sometimes those are too big a temptation and then he doesn't tell me when he needs more.

It is a little scary, but I am having to trust that everything will go well. The teachers are aware...or actually, the nurse told me she was going to inform the teachers....just realized I have not followed up to be sure that was done.

We do have a minimal 504, but I have been thinking I need to get more specifics in it. So far it has been adaquate, but who knows what the future may bring.

13. Christopher

Christopher Approved members

Not to derail the thread, but I am curious where you live that classes are held in the woods, zoo and beach?

I also feel it is not really fair to make the other children responsible for his care. The adults need to come up with a plan to keep him safe at school. Luck and hope are not two things I would count on with diabetes.

14. Tamrantula

Tamrantula Approved members

The school is called SAMI--science and math institute.

It is just the 3rd year that it has been opened...my 17 yr old is in the initial class (so is a Junior) and my two 14 yr olds are Freshmen. You have to apply to the school, go through an interview, get recommendations from teachers, make a portfolio which includes works from each class in Middle School. You can only start at the school as a 9th grader....if you don't get in that year, you don't get in at all.

They do all kinds of different hands on type classes and lots of "specialty" classes. They go on a lot of trips and have classes at different schools which have equipment that they don't have...like, they go to Robotics at another school so they can use their lab/shops.

It is a great school for my "non-traditional" boys! LOL

15. mom2Hanna

mom2Hanna Approved members

Hanna takes care of herself at school and her 504 is similar to others who wrote in. She does check in with the nurse once a day at the end of the day mostly because I wanted them to build a relationship. Her locker is right outside the nurses office so it is a convenient time.

16. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

We start middle in 5th grade here. Our elementary nurses who were fantastic and very hands on had my daughter become more accountable about mid-way through 4th. They had her do everything, with their assistance. Now, she does it all on her own without being asked and the nurse double checks.

We as parents can also be part of making it a smooth transition. One way is to insist on having in room testing. Set up a system so that the child can communicate with the nurse without going to the office (mine will call down).

17. melissajm

Thank you everyone!

18. hdm42

hdm42 Approved members

I'm in the same boat with you. We just had our general high school transition night.
    I think our 504 review meeting will be much more in depth this year, as we lay the groundwork for the change to high school.

19. Christopher

Christopher Approved members

Have you talked to your son about how he would like to handle his diabetes in HS?

20. melissajm

Yes, we have. He wants to be independent but is a little nervous about doing everything on his own. We will make sure the relationship is established with him & the school nurse over the first month or so of school & take it from there.