- advertisement -

High School and D...need some advice

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by 2type1s, Aug 12, 2010.

1. 2type1s

2type1s Approved members

Hello sources of knowledge!

I want to ask you all what your high-schoolers are required to do for their D at school. This year Morgan's endo wrote orders for Morgan to be independent with all D care at school. She is able to count carbs, administer insulin, correct lows and highs independently. She will go to the nurse if she needs to change something out or if she's under 50 or over 350. The nurse wants her to check in every day after lunch still. The nurse (who was Morgan's nurse in elementary school, is wonderful and like part of our family) say she still needs Morgan's numbers once a day. Morgan does not want to leave lunch early anymore and is very angry. She wants to eat with her friends and has told me that the Doctor wrote the orders, so that's who Debbie needs to argue with. I think this is a little teen-age wing-spreading, and I see both sides. Debbie doesn't want anything happening on her watch, Morgan wants to be normal. Morgan said none of her High School friends from D camp still have to go to the nurse. Is that true?

I'm trying to be diplomatic here...really don't know what to do! On Morgan's side, she has earned her independence. Debbie says she wishes all her D's were like Morgan, but because she's at the school and technically responsible, she needs to be aware of what's going on. Morgan feels like she's being once-again punished because of D.

What do ya'll think?

2. Ali

Ali Approved members

Could she phone her numbers into the nurse at lunchtime? Ali

3. PatriciaMidwest

PatriciaMidwest Approved members

We are moving to independent care this year. My daughter will have to fill out a sheet on a clipboard which is then sent down to the nurse. Our school district requires all of her blood sugars and insulin amounts logged everyday. I don't think she will have to physically visit the nurse, it will be on the honor system.

4. 2type1s

2type1s Approved members

I like the log idea! The phone is also a compromise. Morgan can text her numbers to the nurse, which is what we discussed today. However, phones aren't allowed at school, so Morgan is concerned that the cafeteria monitors will get on her and she'll have to explain why she is doing it. Which again..she doesn't want any attention! However, I've told her tough. She has to either go by the nurse, text, or have her 3rd block teacher e-mail the nurse her number before she goes to lunch. I REALLY think this is Morgan wanting to have a say and control over this and not be different for once in her life. I think there are easy solutions (my opinion...not my teenage daughter's) to this. I just wondered if there are any kids out there who don't have to go to the nurse. Morgan's point is, if she only goes to the nurse when she's having an issue, doesn't that mean she is in range if the nurse doesn't see her?

5. NicksMother

NicksMother Approved members

Nick was completely independent last year (11th grade) and will do the same this year. He only went to the nurse if he was low on supplies and needed a refill from his box. He did not give the nurse his BS readings. I emailed the nurse with his A1C results to let her know he was doing a good job with his care.

6. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

Maddie's going into 7th this fall. Last year (first year of middle school) she managed everything on her own as per our orders. Only set foot in the nurses office if her site came out, battery died or cartridge dipped below 20 u.

Maddie would be very unhappy if she needed to check in with the nurse on a regular basis.

7. 2type1s

2type1s Approved members

Lisa..do you think 15-almost 16- (10th grade) is too young? She is COMPLETELY independent at home, work, etc. I don't know why the nurse is insisting on her readings if the doctor says she can be independent. She'll be 18 when she's a senior!

8. NicksMother

NicksMother Approved members

If she is independent at home, then she knows what she is doing and 10th grade isn't too young. As long as she is willing to ask for help if she needs, I don't see a problem. Nick's first full year of dealing with D was 10th grade. Even then, Nick did all his own carb counting, dosing, etc...,all the nurse did was record his BS and monitor him if he came in for a low.

Nick will be 18 in October and would be really upset if he had to report to the nurse.

9. PatriciaMidwest

PatriciaMidwest Approved members

I don't think she is too young, but I do wonder if there is some district rule that the nurse is following to the letter. The schools have to be so careful now about drugs/liability/zero tolerance, etc. Probably just a cya for her.

10. HBMom

HBMom Approved members

Our nurse has given us paperwork to sign so that our son doesn't have to go to the nurses office to check, etc. I haven't read through it yet, but I believe that it absolves them of any responsibility in case something happens. If you would like to see what it says, pm me and I can email it to you (I really need to read it myself - only 3 weeks until school starts!).

11. Kimby

Kimby Approved members

I teach at a high school, and our diabetic students unless newly diagnosed & needing supervision are encouraged to be independent in preparation for college. I don't see why she should have to visit the nurse if she doesn't need her assistance.

12. pianoplayer4

pianoplayer4 Approved members

hi,
    I'm the same age as your daughter. I was diagnosed in the middle of the year last year. I only check in with the nurse if I needed something or the luch room was too crowded and I felt more comfortable doing it there. honestly I may have gone to the nurse 2-3 times for d. I would tell my mom my numbers when I got home and text her at lunch. now I had a sister there who could look out for me so it was a bit different. I think that if your daughter has had d for 11 years, is 15 and going into tenth grade you should be able to trust her to take care of her d without a nurses supervison unless that is she has/ does give you reason not to. if the nurse is very close to your family and it is more about pleasing her, well frankly its not her life, she's not the one trying to fit in at high school. however you could compromise by having her check in with the nurse at the end of school. personnaly if I was told that I had to something about d because someone else would feel beter if I did I would be very very angry, your nurse sounds very nice but she cant control your daughter and make her do things she dosent want/ need to do.

13. Heather(CA)

Heather(CA) Approved members

It sounds like the nurse just misses your daughter. If the orders say independent. Then she doesn't not need to "Go check in" If she has earned this, then I say give it to her. Go give the nurse a hug and tell her your daughter wont be checking in during lunch.

If YOU want to be diplomatic, you can email her the lunch number at night. :cwds:But, it really isn't necessary. I would be on Morgan's side on this one:) It sounds like she's earned it:D GO MORGAN!:cool:

14. Heather(CA)

Heather(CA) Approved members

Honestly, if you trust Morgan, then let her do it on her own. Don't make her stop and write stuff down just for the nurse's curiosity. Let her handle it unless she give you a reason not to. Then, all bets are off.

BTW, Seth has been independent since he went on the pump in 8th grade. Put it in her 504 that she can text you with any questions. :)

15. Daniel's Mom 1993

Daniel's Mom 1993 Approved members

I am not really sure that daniel has to go.. he does not go before lunch to test but I think he still goes by on the way back to class to bolus - he does tell her what he ate and gets carb count - because it is easy not because he has to.. but he also goes to a really small school so it is not very far and I think he does not leave early from lunch he is allowed a couple extra minutes to get to class although I think he usually has time to get there with everyone else. He has not asked to change anything but if he did I would try to make it happen - I would think that if her orders are written to be independent then she should be able too. Especially with her on dexcom - I think if the nurse needs info she should be able to text it after school or keep a log and turn it in weekly.

16. Brandi's mom

Brandi's mom Approved members

Brandi was diagnosed in 10th grade at 15yrs old. She went to the nurse for the first couple weeks because she wasn't ok with giving her own shots. After a while she stopped going to the nurse at all unless she forgot her main meter then she would go to the nurse to use her backup.

17. bgallini

bgallini Approved members

Except for the first year after dx, Alex only went to the nurse's office if he needed supplies for lows or site changes.

Why does the nurse need to know her numbers? The only reason for someone to know a pwd's bg numbers is to help manage the D....like helping adjust basals or other settings. But that's not the school nurse's job.

I'd tell the nurse thanks for the concern but she'll just keep extra supplies there and come if she needs supplies or help in some way.

18. kemjris

kemjris Approved members

Our nurse requested the same thing. After I talked to her, she said there needed to be a record of her blood sugars in case there was a problem. I explained that her blood sugars were stored in her meter and I uploaded her pump to see what was happening. She then agreed that Morgan would not have to come in to see her as long as I was monitoring and their was some record of her numbers.

19. 2type1s

2type1s Approved members

THANKS SO MUCH!!! Now I know I'm not crazy, and Morgan's not asking too much! Morgan asked if she could send her dex report to the nurse at the end of each week. I think that's a geat idea. She is independent, and I think she should not have to go to the nurse. I agree with PP that I think Debbie has been part of our life for so many years, she is having a hard time letting go! I think she's earned her independence!

20. Mom2rh

Mom2rh Approved members

I agree with Heather. I let Ryan skip going to the health office...as long as he is testing. If he is NOT testing then he will need to go in because I need to follow up. So as long as she's doing it I'd say let her call the shots.