- advertisement -

High Numbers, Still...Did not need the "helpful" comments from a stranger.

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by lauraqofu, Aug 28, 2010.

1. slpmom2

slpmom2 Approved members

People just don't get it, do they? And some days the thicker skin works, and some days not so much. :( But you know that you're doing right by your child, and that's the most important thing.

2. KHM

KHM Approved members

I hate that, too. People need to mind their own dang business.

3. Becky Stevens mom

Becky Stevens mom Approved members

Laura I would have been upset too:mad: I mean really! Why cant people MTOB?!?!?! You HAVE a child with type 1 diabetes. Does she? Instead of trying to give you advice about something she knows nothing about she could take the time to educate herself and ask questions about Cass and her diabetes. I really appreciate it when people do that with me and am happy to answer their questions.

Im so thankful that we can take our children to birthday parties and enjoy the cake and ice cream and all the fun of parties! I hope Cass had a great time at the party :cwds:

4. Annapolis Mom

Annapolis Mom Approved members

Here's what I would do:

1. Spill the rest of the soda all over her linen pants.
    2. Say: "Actually, soda is, like, the worst thing for natural fibers."

5. MamaBear

MamaBear Approved members

True! My mother for years was very overweight. She lost 100lbs at one point. During her diet and after, EVERY time she was at a gathering with food, someone would come up to her while making her plate and say "should you be eating that?" She'd be so mad! It seems that no matter what we do, there is always going to be someone somewhere who thinks they know better. :rolleyes:Eyeroll, and ignore. Though I do like the earth rotating on the finger thing. May have to steal that.

6. Brandi's mom

Brandi's mom Approved members

Maybe I am oblivious or I am blessed not to know anyone who is that ignorant!

The only thing we've had to "deal" with is people making sure they point out to Brandi that there are sugar free desserts when we go to a gathering. But thats more they are trying to be nice and accommodating and getting something they assume she needs because she is diabetic.

But then we are still new to the game.

7. lauraqofu

lauraqofu Approved members

Ugh...and I bet she thought she was being sooo thoughtful for telling her daughter not eat in front of yours.

Cass and I have turned it into a joke, as we always do. Now, whenever she gets something to drink, whether it's something she needs insulin for or not, one of us says..."You know, _______ is the worst thing for diabetes.":D

8. Pepper1

Pepper1 Approved members

Oh so, you have meet the village idiots then!!

I thought we only had them in New Zealand, appears they are worldwide!!

Delightful bunch of twits aren't they, that don't live with type 1 children, and have the pressure we do on our backs to attend to their care 24/7!!

What hell would we know, when they appear to know more, because their Great Uncle Bob is a type 2, and has been for about 5 mins.

Do have one solution though, as your country is the home of Bonnie and Clyde, that my son studied last year, and its my 14 daughter that has type 1 and is also gluten free, so I have struck the "cake issue" before, it was gluten free for petes sake, carbs were counted etc.

Have you thought of a "National Shooting Day", just like Bonnie and Clyde and line the pricks up down the main street and ping them off, one by one??

You would only have to do it one year, the next year everyone would make themselves educated about type 1 and the physical and emotional demands in makes on us parents and our children.

9. RosemaryCinNJ

RosemaryCinNJ Approved members

I would of tripped her when she walked by me...oooooppsss..(just kidding)