- advertisement -

High ketones... Please help!!

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by britbabi84, Dec 4, 2012.

1. britbabi84

britbabi84 Approved members

Ok so my son had a fever all day Sunday but BG was in range. Yesterday, fever was gone but BG was in 300's most of the day. Changed his site and continued to battle highs at night. This morning he woke up very very pale and was screaming and crying his belly hurt. He started coughing and threw up a little bit, which I thought was due to coughing (we are fighting a cold). Well then he ran to the bathroom and threw up more. I checked for ketones on a urine strip and it came up the darkest color possible on the strip within about 3 seconds. I called the on call dr who sounded half asleep and he didn't seem concerned at all and basically said just make sure you check him every 3 hours (which we do anyway). My instinct is telling me he needs medical attention right away just because of the large ketones... Am I wrong??

2. Traci

Traci Approved members

Here's what I'd do: first, correct with a shot. Start temp basal through pump (I'd do 30 or 40%, I think most here do more though). Finally, pump liquids--if he could drink an entire bottle of water to start, then small cups often, even shaved ice (like an icee) with diet soda would work. For my son, I keep pushing fluids until the ketones are gone. If he's unable or unwilling to drink, I'd probably head to ER for an iv. I re-check every thirty minutes or so. Hope this passes quickly.

3. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

And bear in mind that the urine ketostix are telling you what was going on in his body hours ago. Did he eat normally yesterday? If he was not eating then you may be seeing starvation ketones and those will clear once he beings to keep food down again.

Overall, I stress looking at the whole kid - not just the ketostix, but the bg, the level of hydration, his overall condition before panicking.

Good luck.:cwds:

4. Brenda

Brenda Junior Member

5. Amy C.

Amy C. Approved members

Insulin is the best tool to use to get rid of ketones. Continue to do corrections and the ketones will disappear.

If you could get a sick day plan from the endo, some recommend extra insulin to help with the ketones as the high is usual resistant to insulin.

6. Mommy For Life

Mommy For Life Approved members

All good advice above. I would add that you may want to ask your endo for a ketone blood meter. It will give you a more accurate picture what is going on ketone wise. Hope your sweet guy feels better soon! :cwds:

7. Amy C.

Amy C. Approved members

You can purchase a blood ketone meter without a prescription. It is helpful to have a prescription for the strips, but even then you can get them without.

Most stores don't carry this in stock and you will need to order online.

8. Mom2Will

Mom2Will Approved members

At the top of this page there is an ad for Nova Max, click it. I got one free. It came with a couple of each strip and I had the endo write a prescription for some blood ketone strips.

9. britbabi84

britbabi84 Approved members

Thank you everyone. I ended up taking him to the ER as he continued to get sick. They immediately started an IV and did a chest X-ray and tested for flu. The flu test came back positive so I'm sure that's what was causing the craziness. They were very close to admitting him as he was still extremely pale and had large ketones. We managed to get him to eat and drink so they sent us home. He took almost a 4 hour nap! His BG has still been a little all over the place, but I will just keep checking and do what I need to.