- advertisement -

high fever and rash in non-d child-----need advise

Discussion in 'Parents Off Topic' started by lynn, Jun 12, 2010.

1. lynn

lynn Approved members

My soon-to-be four-year-old has a high fever since early yesterday morning. She woke up around 2am with a high fever and by 7 she was throwing up. She threw up for a few hours and hasn't since. Her fever has stayed high---around 103-104. Today she woke up with a rash all over her body. It is almost solid on her body part and her arms and legs have single bumps all down them. Her face is unaffected.

I called the ped. this morning because I was worried when she woke up with the rash. The nurse I talked to declared it is roseola. I explained that she still has a high fever today---she had told me that with roseola you have a high fever and then the fever goes away and a rash appears. She said, "Okay! Is she urinating?" I told her that she is because drinking like crazy she is peeing fine. She hasn't had a bite to eat. She isn't concerned that she still has a fever.

I have now looked up roseola and every single thing I read says that the fever doesn't occur with the rash---that that is part of diagnosing it.

They are only at the office for two hours this morning and now that I have talked to her there is no way they are going to see her anyway.

What would you do?

2. Yellow Tulip

Yellow Tulip Approved members

You know, considering that it's the weekend, I think I would call the ped and insist that you need her seen by the doctor. Otherwise, you'll be worried all weekend, and if it's something they can help her with, maybe she'll feel better too. High fever like that shouldn't be taken lightly I think.

My DS had roseola when he was younger, and his rash definitely appeared after the fever went away.

Good luck, and I hope your little one is feeling better soon!

3. kimmcannally

kimmcannally Approved members

Maybe because of DS's dx I'm a little jumpy about stuff, but I think I'd take her to an after hours clinic. If roseola NEVER has fever while the rash is developed, then it can't be roseola. Have you looked up pictures of mumps, measles, stuff like that to see if her rash looks like that?

4. lynn

lynn Approved members

Thanks. The ped's office closes in a half an hour and the nurse I talked to is the one who would hand me an appointment. She has it in her head that she knows what it is. I'm not getting an appointment there.

I think I should bring her to the med-center though. I need to find a babysitter. My husband and oldest son are going to the races today and my two teenagers have drivers ed. That leaves me with four youngers and trying to work around the drivers ed schedule. Yuck!

I hate not knowing if I should worry or not. I can handle waiting out a virus if I am comfortable that the dr or nurse knows what they're talking about. Today I just don't believe her. Besides, the combination of high fever and rash makes me nervous.

5. Lisa P.

Lisa P. Approved members

Sounds like a virus we had once, covered my daughter's whole body but we just had to wait it out, like you say.

He's not on antibiotics, is he? There can be a reaction like that sometimes, just the rash part.

Is his fever coming down with tylenol and/or motrin? If the fever won't come down, definitely I'd bring him in ASAP. Myself, I'd probably go in just because of the weekend factor, do you have a clinic open evenings and Sundays that you trust?

I hate screeners, I'm so sorry you have to go through a gatekeeper to get to the doctor, I've been there, playing footsie to try to get what you need. Hope the day turns out better soon.

6. AlisonKS

AlisonKS Approved members

does her throat hurt? DD had scarlet fever last year, fever and rash. She barely could eat cause her throat hurt so bad. We went to one of those clinics that's open on the weekend cause this stuff always occurs when the regular doctors office is closed lol.

7. Gaia

Gaia Approved members

It does sound a lot like scarlett fever. Lanie had that a few summers ago. Terrible time to have it, but then I suppose there's never a good time to be sick. I wholeheartedly agree w/ PP's...Id go to urgent care or the ER. Better safe than sorry. Try a cool oatmeal bath for the itching btw, may help the temp too. Lukewarm tops!

Hope she feels better soon.

8. Heather(CA)

Heather(CA) Approved members

Does her throat hurt? It could be scarlet fever (Strep throat with a rash) It sounds worse than it is but she will needs antibiotics to get rid of it.:( Is the rash a lot of tiny bumps?

OOPS I didn't read before posting. Looks like you already have that advise. The good news is that if it is scarlet fever, they feels better fast once on the antibiotics, I would definitely take her in.

9. Becky Stevens mom

Becky Stevens mom Approved members

Lynn has she had any swelling of her lips? fingers? And the rash is pretty much everywhere you say? but they are not hive like? Im asking as my older son had Mycoplasam pneumonia which can cause high fever, rash, hives and swelling. I think that should be looked at ASAP because of the high fever especially if it doesnt break soon. Poor sweetie:( I hope she feels better soon

10. lynn

lynn Approved members

Just got back from the med center. She has scarlet fever and an ear infection. So strange because she JUST finished antibiotics for an ear infection in the other ear...this is her third ear infection ever.

I'm glad I brought her in. Thanks for the encouragement.:)

11. Becky Stevens mom

Becky Stevens mom Approved members

Oh yikes:eek: Poor darlin. Glad you brought her in and a quick diagnosis of whats going on. Of course the scarlet fever is from strep. Does she have allergies? That can sometimes cause ear infections or sinus infections

12. Heather(CA)

She should feel better soon once the antibiotics kick in, have her in her chonies and no blanket so the fever comes down. You can give Tylenol AND Ibuprofen if it doesn't come down. Poor baby:(

13. lynn

lynn Approved members

Yeah, she is lounging on the couch wearing a new outfit my sister bought her make her feel better:rolleyes:. It's a little cotton softie.

And her fever won't come down with just one medicine so I have been giving her tylenol and three hours later ibuprofen and flip-flopping them.

14. MikailasMom

MikailasMom Approved members

Chonies! LOL I thought I was the only one who says that!

Im glad you disregaurded that nurse and took her in and got her the medication and diagnosis she needed all along! WTG mom!

15. Yellow Tulip

Yellow Tulip Approved members

Don't you just want to call that nurse and tell her she had no clue what she was talking about? Glad you brought your little one in. She'll feel better soon. Never mess with the mom instinct, right? It has made a difference here many times :)

16. susan

susan Approved members

Davis had scarlet fever a few months ago too..He didn't have a very high fever but he did have the rash, and he also never complained of his throat hurting..Once he started on the antibiotic his rash was gone in no time..Glad you listened to your mommy instincts and took her in..

17. StillMamamia

StillMamamia Approved members

Hope she feels better soon! I am sure the new outfit will work wonders.;)

Ian had scarlet fever this year. I thought scarlet fever was something you got in the Victorian times.:eek: So, major surprise for me.

What the heck are chonies?

18. Heather(CA)

Underwear LOL:p:D