- advertisement -

High BG and growth spurts

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Lynnieg123, Apr 12, 2013.

1. Lynnieg123

Lynnieg123 Approved members

Hi, we've noticed our just turned 8 year old daughter seems to have an increased appetite lately and her triplet brother and sister recently had growth spurts. She is the smallest of the 3 and I think she may be hitting a growth spurt herself. Increased appetite = increased carbs but should also = increased insulin (unless her ratios are way off which is always possible) Anyone have experience with this and is it possible this is related to a growth spurt or am I making it up?

Thanks,

2. nebby3

nebby3 Approved members

Absolutely growth spurts lead to highs. Usually we see the highs first and then the growth kicks in. We also tend to see the highs in the first part of the night. It seems her liver spurts out lots of its stored glucose. It is very hard to combat. It is more than just having to cover more carbs for us; there is definitely an increased need for insulin overall.

3. Amy C.

Amy C. Approved members

The rule is when you see a pattern of high blood sugars, increase the insulin given.

Your child will not stay at the same level insulin. There is generally an increase as the child grows, peaking in puberty. Once puberty is finished, the amount of insulin decreases.

It took me a while to realize that my son needed more insulin when he started to grow. After I got over the fact that increases were needed, he received lots of adjustments.