- advertisement -

High. Any hints?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Joseph, Jan 19, 2015.

1. Joseph

Joseph Approved members

This past week my son has remained on 230-250 despite corrections, changes in basals from midnight to six a.m. We are tired and desperate.
    Today his doctor at school calls me and says 400 after lunch... . We come home and his cannula was torn and bent. He is five years old and his site is on the buttocks.

Anybody with problems with the cannula? How can I prevent a 5 year-old boy from playing soccer or being 'careless' about it?

2. aprilodell

aprilodell Approved members

I am sorry to hear about that. I was wondering if it was his pump and if it was not working correctly. I hope he feels better soon, we are not on a pump yet, but hope to be soon.

3. Lori_Gaines

Lori_Gaines Approved members

What type of site are you using?

4. wilf

wilf Approved members

Well do some injections to get him back into range, and then find a less vulnerable place for his sites.. :cwds:

5. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

There is no reason he can't play soccer. Either tape the sites down with op-site or change them more frequently.

6. Jordansmom

Jordansmom Approved members

Maybe you would have more luck with steel sets because they don't kink. Or maybe his insulin needs have just increased in general.

7. Ali

Ali Approved members

Strongly suggest using steel sets.
    Ali

8. Joseph

Joseph Approved members

image.jpg Thanks a lot for your support and advice. I also wondered about all the possibilities you suggested. He is really skinny and his endo recommended his buttock for the sites. Any other likely-to-succeed places? We use quick set from Medtronic and change every two three days.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2015
  9. Lori_Gaines

We use steel sets and have never had a kink in the almost two years we have been on a pump. I want to also echo the possibility that insulin needs may have increased. We were having similar issues with stubborn highs that were not reacting to small tweaks. We increased everything across the board, all basal rates and all IC ratios. Voila, back in range.

Btw, we also use the butt for her sites.

10. jenm999

jenm999 Approved members

Here's a related question. How do you know when it's a temporary increase in needs for sickness or whatever vs. a need to revamp and increase overall? Give it a week? No signs of illness, presume increase in needs and hope you're not backtracking in a few weeks? Advice from the veterans appreciated here! And do you just do temp increased basals around the clock or wait for a series of days with more corrections?

11. dpr

dpr Approved members

When we tried using Teflon sets we had 3 bent cannulas in 2 months. All looked exactly like yours. We went back to steel sets and problem solved!

12. Lori_Gaines

I give it a few days tops. Then I up the basal one increment (.025) across the board. Give that a couple of days and then increase IC ratios if still running high.

13. jenm999

jenm999 Approved members

Thank you, Lori!