- advertisement -

High 2 Hours After Eating Then Comes Quickly Down

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by andiej, Jan 20, 2014.

1. andiej

andiej Approved members

Hi

My DS (aged 10) was diagnosed on Xmas Eve. Last week he had really good levels all week with the odd mild hypo. Think it was the honeymoon and his insulin dose was reduced at meal times.

We've seen a small increase in his readings over the weekend but put that down to it being the weekend and routine/eating habits being slightly different.

Today though he woke with 6.9 - 2 hours after eating had increased to 11 - 2 hours later before lunch he had dropped to 4.9. 2 hours after lunch back up to 10

Any advice would be gratefully received as he has eaten the same foods as last week. If i increase the insulin i'm worried he will be low before the next meal.

Still early days for us.

Thanks

Andrea

2. Amy C.

Amy C. Approved members

The timing of the insulin and the food is off. In order to prevent a post meal spike, the insulin must be given before the meal. This way it gets a chance to start working and lowers the sugar about when your child's meal starts raising it.

Start with 15 minutes before the meal and increase or decrease the time as needed.

3. andiej

andiej Approved members

Thanks Amy will give that a go, at the moment he is having it immediately before breakfast.

4. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

How have the after dinner and night numbers been?

An bump in basal might be helpful or at tweak in the timing that that is given.

I find that the higher they start off the day the longer the pre-bolus needs to be.