- advertisement -

Hi

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by firefly29, Feb 10, 2006.

1. firefly29

firefly29 Approved members

I was just recently diagnosed (just a few days ago actually!) and I was wondering what kinds of pumps people have and what they like/dislike about them. I'm looking into the cozmo one but i need more info on that one and other ones before i make my decision. Thanks!

2. Rob

Rob Approved members

I've has a cozmo for about 7 months now, and it's not bad, it's got lots of features for reminding you to check your blood, warnings if you may have missed taking insulin for a meal, stuff like that, and the software for it is great, tho you have to purchase the cable to use it which isn't cheap. you can make quick changes, custom name alerts and alarms, stuff like that, then load it to your pump at the click of a button.

I only have two dis-likes about it, the first is that it get's in the way, but that's more of a problem with pumping, not the pump itself, and the other is that you can't set different bolus rates for different times of the day.

Things i like about it are that it's fairley durable (i'm hard on everything i own, and this is no exception) the only problem i've had with durability is a small crack in the case near where the insulin vial goes in, but for someone like yourself, don't worry about that, I'm sure you won't put it through as much abuse as long as you own it as i do in a month. the other thing i really like about it is like i said, you can change various aspects of the pump program via computer nice and quick.

Hope that helps you out a little, and good luck!

3. BrendaK

BrendaK Neonatal Diabetes Registry

Hi Rob, I read what you said about the Cozmo -- did you know you can set different bolus rates under "custom meal bolus" You can set up to 7 different bolus rates -- for breakfast, midmorning, lunch, afternoon, dinner, bedtime, and a standard bolus. You can also do the extended bolus and combination bolus (which we have yet to try those). Carson has a different bolus rate set for breakfast (he needs more insulin then) than his other meals.

Also, we had a small problem with a crack in the battery cap the first month Carson had the pump and Smith's medical sent us a new pump (free of charge) in less than 24 hours. Have they replaced yours with the crack?

Thanks again for your help with the infrared cord!!!

4. Rob

Rob Approved members

huh, so you can, learn something new every day. when i asked my pump nurse about it she said you couldn't set it with these pumps, and that that was a setting for having a set amount of insulin givin for a standerd sized meal. oh well, maby next time i should read the instruction book insted of just assuming she was right. Thanks for the tip.

about replacing the pump, i'm not to worried about it, i'm abusive and it's only a matter of time before i smash it good. actually i just noticed a second crack today by the battery cover.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2006