- advertisement -

hi

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by PAULEEN, Apr 16, 2008.

1. PAULEEN

PAULEEN Approved members

Hello everyone, I am new here. My son is 12 and has been dx'd for a month. I have been "lurking" for about 3 weeks and finding a lot of useful information. Thank you all for giving me a feeling of comfort. It is good to know that I am not alone. We have been adjusting okay but are having a lot of lows. We have adjusted his carb ratios many times. We rarely have to give any corrections. He is on lantus/novolog. His lantus has also been adjusted many times. He is taking this all very well - better than my husband and me. I have a few questions, and hope that you all can give me a better insight. I know that everyone is different and that the answers will be different too. But, at least I will have a general idea...

How long does/did the honeymoon period last for your child? How do you know when it is over?

Is it normal for him to complain of leg pains when his numbers are normal? I know that he is going through or getting ready to go through puberty and has grown a lot - 2 1/2 inches since his dx. Which probably should cause pains in his legs..

He gets very shaky when his numbers are low and can identify this feeling, but there are days when he has good numbers and is shaky. I think this maybe a sign that his numbers are getting ready to drop as this seems to be the pattern, but does anyone else have this? It really upsets him when it happens.

And the last question is: Is there a place on this site that explains what the common abbreviations are? Sometimes when I am reading, I have no idea what they are. Others I have figured out...

Again, thanks in advance for all of your answers and for helping us through this journey!

2. frizzyrazzy

frizzyrazzy Approved members

Hi Pauleen and welcome! I'm sorry you have to join us here but you've found a great group. Hope I can help with your questions:

For us, it didn't even start until about 6 months after dx, so it's very different for each child - but the general pattern is either the child will gradually start to need more and more insulin OR they'll rapidly start to need more. So it just varies. There's no one way.

That sounds like typical growing pains to me, especially since he's grown SO much.

You've nailed it. Usually if they're ON their way down they start to feel low, especially if it's a rapid drop. Also, if he's had a run of really high numbers for a few days then a number in the low 100's will make him feel off. That just takes getting used to for his body.

here's a thread with the most common ones:
    http://forums.childrenwithdiabetes.com/showthread.php?t=11843&highlight=abbreviations

Hope that helped!

3. etringali

etringali Approved members

Just wanted to add my Hello and Welcome.

4. StillMamamia

StillMamamia Approved members

Hi Pauleen,

Welcome...glad you posted:cwds:

Kids do seem to be more resilient than us sometimes...it's amazing. I'm happy your son had adjusted well!

To answer your questions:

My son's honeymoon lasted about 3 weeks...started about 1 month after dx. He started getting a lot of lows, so we had to drastically reduce the basal (we're on the pump, that's background insulin) settings. After the 3 weeks, we started to see quite a few highs, so endo comfirmed end of honeymoon, and his insulin needs increased in respect to pre-honeymoon period. But this varies from child to child. Some last longer, some never go through it...

As for the leg pains, I'm afraid I cannot help you there. May be growth spurts, but I would imagine if the pains are frequent that a trip to the doc would be advisable. I'm sure other parents can give you a better insight.

For the lows, my son gets very irritable when he's going low (even if tested bg says within range), and gets really aggressive when already low. Just have to test often, and keep adjusting insulin delivery to his needs, so as to maintain as stable a bg as possible. It really is no fun for them when they feel they are going low...tell him to immediately let you (or anyone looking out for him) know if he feels 'strange/shaky'...it's great he can identify that already.
    Just make sure not to let his bg ride on the low wave too often...may lead to hypoglycemia unawareness (where he won't be able to distinguish the feeling of going low), which would need readjustment.
    Sorry if this too much info...just wanted to share that in case

As for the acronyms...here's the link

http://forums.childrenwithdiabetes.com/showthread.php?t=9804&highlight=acronyms

Hope this helps. I'm sure you'll get great answers from other parents.

Take care and I wish you the best!

5. PAULEEN

PAULEEN Approved members

Thank you, for your quick response! I am so happy that I found you all here! I am sure that you will be "hearing" from me a lot!:D

6. CDoyle1013

CDoyle1013 Approved members

Hello Pauline:

When my daughter goes "high" and sometimes "HI" (does not mean "hello") for a period of time (like now - she is 13 and growing), we will first look at all factors - pump clogs, battery low, eating habits...if nothing is "wrong", we adjust the insulin...same goes with lows. There was a period of time when I was checking at night where it seemed like I would have to wake her in the middle of the night to drink juice...again, we knew to adjust the insulin.

The other poster was correct, each child is different - this is what makes this disease so difficult...no popping a dose pill "x" times per day. The "dose" is always changing depending up several changing factors.

My daughter also gets the shakes sometimes. This is how she knows that she is going low. But a caveat: If she has been high for a while, she may start feeling shaky at "normal" numbers. Just the body adjusting again.

Feel free to continue writing...there is always someone here!

7. andeefig

andeefig Approved members

Welcome Pauleen! This is the club that nobody wants to join, but if you must, then you're surrounded by lots of support and love. :cwds:

8. WestinsMom

WestinsMom Approved members

I just want to say welcome and I think you have gotten some great answers to your question. I have nothing to add other than we didn't honeymoon (that I know of unless it was before dx).

We are dealing with "growing pains" too. Every once in a while Westin will say, "My legs hurt!" :)

9. Mom2Madi

Mom2Madi Guest

Hi and welcome!

My daughter was 9 when dx and never had a honeymoon period. I've read when you have one it can be anywhere from a few weeks to five years. Typically when the honeymoon is over the insulin needs increase. Sometimes slowly creeping up. Other times BAM high all across the board.

The other poster is right about not letting your son have too many lows. This has happened to my daughter about 3 times now. A few lows often leads to more lows then leads to not being aware you are even low. I ended up cutting her insulin drastically and letting her run high for a few days then starting over with adjustments.

My daughter has grown a lot since her dx - her doctor said growth is a sign of a well controlled and healthy child. :)

10. Charmed7

Charmed7 Approved members

Hello.

My son is only 9 and not going thru puberty nor complains of growing pains yet. When he goes low he feels hot and he shakes a little. Sometimes after a low he'll complain his legs and arms hurt. He also feels shaky (not the hot feeling) if he's having a rapid drop (not necassarily a low number, but just a drop from 200 to 100 within 5 mins). So there's a slight difference in the way he feels.

As far as a honeymoon, I think he went through it prior to diagnosis. So I don't know how long it was. But I've read some posts stating they've been honey-mooning for months. So there's really no way to know. Unfortunately, you will learn that nothing about this disease offers "a way to know." As soon as you think you got it all pegged, it changes up on you.

Lots of info here. I'm glad you were able to find it so soon.

Charmed

11. Judy&Alli

Judy&Alli Approved members

Hi Pauleen,
    Welcome to the best site for support and education. So sorry about your son's diagnosis. We are all here for you. There is always someone logged on day and night. I don't have anything else to add so welcome to the boards.
    Judy:)

12. Donna C

Donna C Approved members

Welcome! We're still honeymooning . . .

Welcome to the site and this new family! I don't check the forum or site TOO often . . . because (1) the first month of reading scared me to death and I felt I needed to stay awake checking levels all night and (2) I'm a busy teacher. HOWEVER, this IS a great site that shouldn't scare you into paranoia (like me). I've found great support and advice just by skimming and reading.
    Our daughter is now 12 1/2 . . . she was diagnosed this past November (days following her birthday). We are still in the honeymoon period, so I don't know when it may end?! We JUST increased her nightly Lantus very slightly yesterday due to some highs over past three days. She will also be adding the complication of puberty anytime now.
    We take Novolog (per 12 carbs) and Lantus (now 20 units). We have been blessed with no severe highs or lows (lowest was 49 when playing basketball briefly) since coming home from the hospital at diagnosis. You WILL get the hang of this thing.
    YES . . . these kids are AMAZING!!! Our daughter handled it so much better than we did. The diet change and meal planning made us cry for her -- while she was fine! She has been awesome with finger pricking, injections, etc. (and she was NOT what I'd have described as responsible before). Kids' abilities to compensate are just incredible.
    We're so sorry for what your family is going through . . . we've all been there. It's a bit of a roller coaster / balancing act, BUT you are not alone! I hope you can get some awesome diabetes education. Unfortunately, our insurance will not cover it . . . but I've found very willing and helpful people everywhere I go who have been tremendous.
    It's true . . . you will learn to look at a food portion and know the carb estimation; you will go through grocery aisles turning all the boxes around backwards to compare the carbs; asking restaurants for nutritional guides (check those on the web); you will learn FAST!
    This is NOT the worst thing that could happen to us . . . we CAN do this successfully and will!!!!!
    ;) Welcome . . . you're in a good place here!

13. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

Hi welcome neighbor!
    There are about 5 NY families I can think of, some NYC some LI and Upstate. We're in CT.
    Welcome to CWD it's a great resource. :cwds:

14. mischloss

mischloss Approved members

Hi Pauleen,
    Welcome to the site. Sorry that your son has been diagnosed but at least the comfort is that you will have a wealth of information form this site. My son was diagnosed at 10 years old. He was on Humalog and Lantus shots at first and his honeymoon lasted about 6 months. Then the insulin needs started to creep on up after we noticed that his bg (blood glucose) numbers were rising. Charting on a log right now is your best bet for keeping your eye out for when the sugar numbers are starting to rise. Then you can always fax in those logs to your endo and ask their opinion about adjusting dosages for both Lantus and Humalog. I wouldn't go tweaking it on your own just now since you are so new at it.

My son's legs ached months prior to diagnoses and we found out that is was due to dehydration of the muscles because of the high sugar numbers. Once he went on insulin and got re-hydrated they subsided. It might be some after affects as well with your son since he is so newly diagnosed. That is the only other reason I would think other than growing pains.

My son is on the Animas pump now. Has been for about 1.5 years and loves it. Once you guys settle into a routine and feel comfortable it might be something to look into. I know it has made my son's "social life" much easier, not to have to take his insulin shots with him during outings with his group of friends.

Hope all goes well with you and don't hesitate to ask us anything!

15. Hollyb

Hollyb Approved members

Hi Pauleen,

As was mentioned, the leg pains may have something to do with the readjustment of blood sugars -- when people have been running high for a while (prior to diagnosis) it can take their body some time to "get used to" being in normal range again -- for example, my son complained of blurry vision for a few weeks after dx. But having raised three boys I can tell you that this is prime "leg pain age" and especially if they are bothering him mostly at night -- probably growing pains.

Aaron's honeymoon lasted for about a year, but it didn't just go along and then end one day. Right through that first year we were steadily increasing his insulin doses every 2-3 months. Eventually the increases slowed down and his daily total (for his weight/age) suggested he wasn't getting any more help from his pancreas.

Glad to hear your son's adjusting well. It's not a fun disease to have, but I have to say that so far it hasn't stopped Aaron from doing anything he wants to do.

16. Mymeagan

Mymeagan Approved members

Hi - Thanks for asking about the abbreviations, I was wondering the same thing, but too lazy to ask. Racking my brain trying to fig. some of them out. I am new too, sorry we had to meet here. One thing that helps when I get stressed out is that someone told me it will take a year to get her BG numbers under control and even then it's still a balancing act. I am considering a pump, as it sounds as if control of the numbers is better.
    Good luck and we're all here to help or in my case empathize with discovering everything we need to know together. :rolleyes:

17. Ryans-Rock

Ryans-Rock Approved members

Hi Pauleen.
    My son is also 12 and was dx'd January 15th of this year. he was in the honeymoon stage at dx and still is. (knock on wood) Ryan also complained about leg pains before he was dx'd. Now a few months into this I haven't heard him complain about it anymore. Hopefully this will pass soon.

18. Tamara Gamble

Tamara Gamble Approved members

With the leg pains, it could be growing but my son had them for a while after due to dehydration. Potassium, magnesium and calcium are all factors, things get so out of whack it takes time for the cramps to subside.

Your son will do just fine. Our kids seem to take it better than we do.

We didn't have a high for two months after diagnosis. This will change. Your son is prepubecent so you will have to get used to the changes being on a regular basis. Know that it will get much better as they get older. My son was diagnosed when he was ten and will be fourteen this year so I can sympathize.

God bless you on your journey.

By the way call 1-800 diabetes and ask for the school discrimination package. Go to www.diabetes.org and look up legal rights of students with diabetes and sample section 504 plans. You will want to learn as much as you can over the summer so you can get your child accomodated at school.

Tami