- advertisement -

Hi There

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by MA Momma, May 16, 2010.

1. MA Momma

MA Momma Approved members

Hi everyone. I am new here and new to Diabetes and I just thought I'd introduce myself. My name is Casey and my 10 year old son was diagnosed with Type 1 Diabetes on May 1st, 2010 (right after a family vacation to Disney). It came as a huge shock as he didn't have any severe symptoms and other than being a little more tired than usual, he was perfectly fine. No increased thirst, weight loss, nothing. We didn't even notice anything was wrong until he fell asleep on the couch and we couldn't wake him up. :( He was life flighted to a local children's hospital where his bg was 998 and ketones were 3.5. The Dr.'s told us that realistically, he was only hours from death. But thankfully he is strong and was able to pull through and be home within about 5 days. We have been slowly adjusting to this new, very complicated lifestyle but right now it's killing us so hopefully it will get easier soon. My son has been awesome in taking care of things. He is already doing all of his own testing and gave himself his first shot without assistance this morning so he's doing pretty well. This website has so far been a wealth of extremely valuable information and I hope to learn so much more from it.

Casey

Last edited: Jun 30, 2010
  2. Kaylas mom

Kaylas mom Approved members

Welcome, sorry you have to be here. We are still very new to this as well, but have learned invaluable information here.

3. VinceysMom

VinceysMom Approved members

Hi, Casey and welcome...I too am sorry you have to be here, but you have found a great place here, with so many knowledgeable people. Ask all and any questions you have.

We are only 5 months into this; we have learned so much by coming back to this forum and reading and posting.

Good luck to you,

Kathy

4. Kayla and Ethan's Mom

Kayla and Ethan's Mom Approved members

Welcome to the group, but sorry you had to join. I've found this site and the people here to be a sanity saver!;) I'm sure you are going through a wide range of emotions and probably will for awhile yet. But it DOES get easier!! One day you'll wake up and realize that life is normal, a new normal. It won't seem foreign anymore, it will be just the way life is. Your son, as well as all our cwd, are AMAZING! Good luck and remember your doing a great job!:)

5. Amy C.

Amy C. Approved members

Welcome to this site full of parents like you -- trying to figure out how to work diabetes management into their life.

That is an interesting story. Most of us have some clue that something was wrong a few days prior to diagnosis.

6. Becky Stevens mom

Becky Stevens mom Approved members

Hi Casey welcome to CWD. I am so sorry about your sons diagnosis. That sounds so scary that he wasnt showing alot of symptoms but Ive heard of that happening before. I recently started a group in FB because I think that there should be some type of testing done at well baby and child visits so that maybe some cases could be caught before kids get very sick. I know this is a shock for you and things seem very frightening right now. Take your time and be patient with yourself and you will learn a little more about diabetes every day.

My what a brave boy you have there!:) The fact that hes already learning how to test his blood and give himself shots is amazing! Does your son know that Nick Jonas has type 1 diabetes as does Jay Cutler, quarterback for the Chicago bears and many other famous athletes and actors and musicians. Come back anytime to ask questions or just let us know how you all are doing

7. frizzyrazzy

frizzyrazzy Approved members

Hi Casey and welcome to another MA family. :)

8. Liongirl4

Liongirl4 Approved members

Also saying hello..welcome to the forum.

9. selketine

selketine Approved members

Hi and welcome!

You should find Badshoe and MrsBadshoe on these forums - one of their children was dx'd while on vacation to Disney too.:)

10. CButler

CButler Approved members

Hi Casey and welcome to CWD.:cwds:
    I'm sorry you all went through such a scary time at his diagnosis.
    Take one step at a time, keep reading, and you will learn more as you go.

11. badshoe

badshoe Approved members

Hi and Welcome.

We diagnosed a kid at Disney too. It was our second case and even then we were a little slow picking up on it. ...why is this skinning kid drinking so much and peeing like crazy... wait this seems oddly familiar.... Sill love all things Disney. Our time there has been a key part of our family growing. We just carry a small pharmacy when we go now.

The whole story is on our blog. Not my favorite place to have diabetes. I would rather be playing. OK to be honest nowhere is a favorite place for it. And to be honest my newbie tips there are probably more useful. More than anything I can offer is this bit of experience: YOUR DIABETES MAY VARY.

I see you found us very quickly GREAT. This is a great place to fins others who GET IT. More and more I find that is the biggest benefit of CWD. Like everyone says, 'Welcome to our community, we wish you didn't need to be here.'