- advertisement -

Hi. New here, 12mo just diagnosed.

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Knittingfor4, Aug 18, 2008.

1. semperwife

semperwife Approved members

My son Brandon was diagnosed just 11 days after his first birthday. i would suggest keeping cake mate (not red) on hand, or smarties, or juice to treat lows. Honey is thick and sometimes when the low is low enough the babies fight us. The cake mate or glucose gel can be squeezed into the mouth and massaged into the gums for faster absorption.

It does get easier as they get older. It is scary when they are diagnosed so young. The biggest problem we had when he was that young was the unrealiability of what he was actually going to eat. We had to give him insulin after meals because there were days when he wouldn't eat.

You can go with diluted insulin as well, this makes the smaller doses easier to measure. Or push for the pump so that you can go with minute doses and not have to poke so many times. Now days more doctors are doing the pump for younger kids because of the small dosing ability.

Big hugs and welcome to the family (not that any of us want your child to be diabetic) we are glad that you found us so early on in your diagnosis.

Brandy

2. momtojess

momtojess Approved members

I wanted to welcome you to the boards. Sorry you had to find us, but glad that you did.

My dd was dxd when she was 11 months old, but I havent advice on breastfeeding. SHe is now almost 7

3. Kaitlyn's Crew

Kaitlyn's Crew Approved members

Hello,
    Sorry about your DD diagnosis, don't have any advise, but I wanted to welcome you to the forum. My dd was six when she was diagnosed.

4. Andy'sMom

Andy'sMom Approved members

Hi there -

I'm really sorry you had to join us here, but this is a great place to find information and get moral support. My son was diagnosed at 10 months and he's now 4. I was not breast-feeding at dx. so I'm not any help there, but I just wanted to say welcome and it does get easier! Feel free to PM me anytime. I didn't see where you're from, but I'm in the DC area, so if you're close-by, let me know.

5. MrsBadshoe

MrsBadshoe Super Moderator

Hi and welcome. I have 2 older kids with D so no advice on the infant issue.

I would suggest not using honey for lows though. There can be bacteria in honey that wouldn't affect and older toddler or child but could do serious things to an infant.

6. hrermgr

hrermgr Approved members

Glad you found us...sorry you had to. T was 15 months old when dxd. She really didn't like juice or juice boxes much at the time so we went with Oreo cookies, fruit snacks, and tubes of cake frosting (I agree with the "not red" advice). We also used fruit because she loves it!

Sounds like you have learned a lot so far. However expect things to change quickly as your child is very young. Just when we think we have T's D all handled, something changes. It's a battle but as long as you are armed with knowledge and ask questions, you can win.

7. Brensdad

Brensdad Approved members

Hi and welcome. Our Emma was diagnosed at 9 months old, so I can fully understand what you are going through. Let me echo some of the other suggestions and offer a few tips.

1. The white cake gel suggestion is excellent. You can also get glucose gel at CVS for about $3 a tube. It's handy to use because it's marked in 5g increments. We also found Caro syrup in a medicine syringe to be pretty useful.

2. I agree with Mrs. Badshoe, I would avoid using honey for the reasons she listed.

3. Someone mentioned diluted insulin, which is an excellent suggestion. If you are so inclined, and your insurance/financial situation allows it, I highly recommend a pump of any brand. It sure makes delivering very small amounts of insulin much easier.

4. If you aren't going to pump, then try to get an I-Port. It is basically a device that you inject into the skin once every few days and then give shots through it. That cuts way down on the "owie" factor of shots.

5. Be sure you get a prescription for glucagon, and try to get one that you can use just for practice. Hopefully you'll never have to use it, but if you do it's best that you've done it once before.

6. Get a Precision Xtra blood ketone meter. Urine strips are OK, but not terribly accurate.

7. If you have PPO insurance, call A-Plus Medical Supply for your supplies. www.aplusmedical.com. If you have any questions about it, send me a private message.

8. Don't ever feel like you are asking a stupid question here. Ever.

9. There is nothing you could have done to prevent diabetes. Nothing. Nothing. Nothing.

Sorry you've had to find us, but we're glad you did.

twodoor2 likes this.
  8. BozziesMom

BozziesMom Approved members

Why not red?

9. BozziesMom

Yes, welcome to the forum and also sorry for your dx. Mine was older - 20 months - at dx. I'm still learning but willing to help if possible. We too were rushed from the doc's office to ER by ambulance, then onto PICU. Scary stuff. {{hugs}}

10. twodoor2

twodoor2 Approved members

Welcome to CWD. This is one of the single greatest resources on the web for support and advice on how to deal and manage diabetes.

I'm sorry your baby was diagnosed, let alone so young, but you will find a plethora of information here. No question is stupid, the only stupid question is the one that you don't ask.;) Therefore ask questions and ask a lot of them. The more the better. You're going to find that you're going to learn a lot in a small amount of time. The support and advice here makes that road to learning and management more bearable and helpful.

Good luck to your family.

11. andeefig

andeefig Approved members

Welcome. Everyone has given you great advise, so I'm not sure what I can add at this point. :rolleyes:

Our son was diagnose 2 weeks after his 1st birthday, so like many others, I can empathize with the struggles involved on a baby w/ D. We started pumping right at diagnosis which was awesome. So, if you're looking at pumping, I can sat that it's great. You'll know when your ready. Go easy on yourself. It's definitely more difficult when they are that little because you have other thigs you are working against....teething, naps, bottles.....but the good news is that it DOES get easier. Come to us anytime for support. We're glad you're here. :cwds:

12. Tweety8

Tweety8 Approved members

Hi and welcome. I have learned so much from this forum. I hope you guys are adjusting ok and the parents on this forum were right when they told me 6 months ago that it will get a bit easier.

13. TracieandJim

TracieandJim Approved members

Welcome to our family. :) My DS was 19 mths when he was dx. He refuses juice still to this day so honey was and still is our only option for a quick boost. Cake gel/mate is just ok for us. It doesn't seem to work as well as honey.

Just to reiterate previous posters.

1 - Honey can be good and bad. With a child so young you have to be careful. Their digestive system may not be developed enough to handle the honey.

2 - Urine ketone strips are ok but blood ketone strips are best. Urine ketone strips give you results 2 hrs after the 'actual' result. Blood ketone strips give you current results. Ask your endo for a prescription for a Precision Xtra meter and blood ketone strips.

3 - When you use urine ketone strips use a cotton ball in the diaper to extract the urine. Its fast, easy, cheaper and much easier than tearing apart a diaper and diggin thru that gel junk they make diapers with.

4 - Above all else.. come to this forum often. Ask questions and always confer with your endo. I promise you will find a wealth of info and plenty of good advice from many on this forum, however, your DDs situation may difer and its up to you as a parent and your endo on the best care for her.

Im sorry you are here but Im glad you found us.

HUGS
    Tracie

14. Knittingfor4

Knittingfor4 Approved members

Thanks everyone! Last night we got home at 8pm. She was high at 2am and the dr. had us give 0.5 unit Novalog (her first Novalog ever). This morning she was fine and he had us give her 0.5 unit Lantus. We have Kaiser so everything was free. One Touch Ultra 2 meter and strips, lancets, syringes, insulin... am I forgetting anything? Oh, glucagon kit, ketone strips, sharps container. I also ordered her a free One Touch Ultra Mini from online.

They say honey is not allowed for infants under 1 year. She turned one Aug 11. Plus my friend told me that the pasturized stuff you get most mainstream places would be fine even for under 1 year. It's the raw stuff that can have bacteria in it. So far we've just been grabbing the pasturized mainstream brands from Starbucks. We decided on honey because it was the smallest amount needed. She won't take 3oz of juice. Of course now that we are home she is acting much better so maybe I'll give it a try again.

The cake gel sounded great until they told us it would take half a tube! I don't think she'll eat that much. And the reason to stay away from red (anything red) is because red dye can cause behaviour problems.

I mentioned the Inject-ease but they said at her age it wouldn't matter. The point of those is fear of the needle but she will begin to associate either the needle or the device with injections so it wouldn't matter to her. They didn't seem to think it would be less painful. This morning she didn't fuss at all for her injection. I think she just really hated that hospital :(

We are meeting our Kaiser team this afternoon. I'm nervous about leaving the house. I was nervous about leaving the hospital too. I never really used a diaper bag before so packing supplies is foreign to me. I'm sure it'll be fine.

The hardest thing so far was cutting her off nursing 2hrs before testing. They weren't having me do that all weekend then all of sudden yesterday they wanted me to start. That was hard for her. But I think here at home she'll be easier to entertain for that time.

15. BozziesMom

I can't speak for your child, but I find it very hard to believe that she'd need a half tube of cake gel. They told us to give mine the whole tube. I gave him half a tube once and sent him through the roof. Last night I had to correct for a low - I used a nickel sized "wad" of cake gel on my thumb that brought him right up into range. I don't know. Possibly mine is more sensitive to carbs, but I don't think that makes sense. I mean he's almost 2 now - 27 pounds. Anyone?

I don't guess it's a huge deal because you've found something that works. Know what I mean? :)

16. GaPeach

GaPeach Approved members

I am also sorry you had to find the CWD forum. But - come often - ask a lot and share a lot.

A couple of other posters mentioned the potential for bacteria in honey for those under a year.

Red or colored cake gel can stain baby's mouth, clothes, etc. in addition to the red dye behavior issues.

Has she tried applesauce yet? Pear juice or white grape has been loved by my kids that did not like apple or cherry type juices.

Little gummie bear treats are another idea. Especially when teething.

Yogurt drinks or gogurts (yogurt in tubes) might be worth a try.

She could always eat a bizillion goldfish crackers!