- advertisement -

Hi, Im new to the world of diabetes

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by MommaOf2SpoiledGirls, Aug 10, 2008.

1. MommaOf2SpoiledGirls

MommaOf2SpoiledGirls New Member

Hello everyone. My name is Anna and I am new to the world of diabetes. My oldest daughter Ashley was dx'd on August 4th and we just got home from the hospital a couple of days ago. Her blood sugar was 700 and she was the total opposite of the girl that we knew. She was drinking tons of water, she was getting as skinny as a rail (well skinnier than a rail since she was as skinny as a rail before :D), was going to the bathroom like crazy and was having horrible mood swings. But after that first insulin injections, it was like she came back to life. She was laughing and playing like she always had been. We were in the PICU for about 4 days learning about counting carbs, insulin injections, checking blood sugar, and what feels like a billion other things. So far she has been doing awesome. I just cant understand how she can still laugh and be happy with this huge burden that she has to carry but somehow she handles it and does it with a smile too.
    I live in North Carolina with Ashley who is 11, Isabelle who is 4, and my wonderful hubby of 10 years and I am pregnant with another girl who is due in October. I look forward to getting to know all of you.

Anna

2. WestinsMom

WestinsMom Approved members

Sorry you had to join the club but I am glad you found us so soon.

The reason it isn't such a burden for her is that she correlates the new routine with feeling better, I imagine. :) I felt like I got my happy little boy back once the insulin started too. It is a common occurance.

As your questions arise, feel free to jump in and start asking. There is usually plenty of us around here and you will get quick answers which is really nice at 2am! Also, remember there is a chat room that can help too.

3. JPolito830

JPolito830 Approved members

I just wanted to say hello and welcome you to the forum...Glad you joined, and you will learn a lot here!

4. StillMamamia

StillMamamia Approved members

Hi Anna,

Welcome! It's always heartbreaking when a new child is dx.
    There is amazing support and knowledge here, so I hope you will feel at ease posting anything you'd like.
    Kids are so amazing with their resilience. Their newfound energy and ability to enjoy life despite what they're going through is truly an inspiration.

We are all here for you.

5. Seans Mom

Seans Mom Approved members

Welcome to the forum. Sorry about the diagnosis. :( This is a great place to find info and support. Please post any questions you have. We understand how overwhelming, confusing and exhausting those first months are. Hope to see you posting more soon. :)

6. semperwife

semperwife Approved members

Welcome to our CWD forum.... where diabetes makes us a family. Sorry to hear of your diagnosis but glad that you have found us so soon.

What part of NC are you in? I am in Jacksonville, NC. If you are close we could always meeet up. My son has been doing this for almost 11 of his 12 years.... dx'd Aug. 19, 1997.

7. buggle

buggle Approved members

Welcome, Anna.

I think that diabetes is much harder for us parents to accept than for our children. My son's a bit younger -- he's 8 -- but he's taken it really well too. He's never complained or felt sorry for himself. He just accepts this as part of who he is.

When one of the parents was feeling really sad the other day on the anniversary of their child's diagnosis, another parent pointed out that the day they were diagnosed is the day that their life was saved. It's hard not to be terribly sad when it's your kid, but like you saw with your little girl, treatment gives us our children back. My son didn't go into DKA, but he'd lost a lot of weight and was weak and had no stamina. He's back to a healthy, happy kid.

I'm so glad your daughter is feeling better and regaining her health. You'll find lots of support and information here.