- advertisement -

Hi I'm new here

Discussion in 'Teens' started by Starguy121, Jul 12, 2009.

1. Starguy121

Starguy121 Approved members

well so im new at these forums. so i guess i just needed a place to talk about how much my diabetes stuff is annoying me.

since the end of May, ive had to check my blood with a meter and ive had to be careful about what i eat.

i dont have diabetes, well not the regular kind, i have steroid induced diabetes, (cuz i take prednisone for another disease). so i thought i should come here anyways. lol.

well this weekend was my birthday and i ate some ice cream cake and had pizza and gatorade. it was pretty yummy and my blood sugar was only 170.

today i felt like checking it before i went out to eat, then it was 187. i think its higher now, cuz i feel sickish.

im only supposed to check my blood at night, two hours after dinner.

the highest my blood sugar had been was the day i was stuck in the ER, when they figured out what i had. it had been 358 that day.

so, yeah im new and stuff. lol.

2. emm142

emm142 Approved members

Hello and welcome, but sorry you had to find us.

I don't know much about steroid induced D, and I have type 1 so I was on insulin shots (and then the pump) since diagnosis, but that must be frustrating having to watch what you eat. Come here to vent whenever you need to!

3. kierbabi09

kierbabi09 Approved members

Hi, welcome to CWD:cwds:
    Like Emma said, I too, don't know much (ok anything:rolleyes:) about steriod induced diabetes.
    I know what it is like having to watch what you eat! I started out with just diet, then pills, then just lantus, and then multipe daily injections, and now I use a pump. So..I have been in a similar situation!
    Anyway...don't be afraid to post, wether it is questions you have, or support you need!! We are always here:)

4. Starguy121

i almost needed to use insulin actually
    the nice endocrinologist doctor at the ER had even showed me how to use the insulin pen if i needed it.

lucky thing i never needed it, cuz my friends sister has diabetes and it seems like it must hurt to have to poke urself with a needle everyday.

5. kierbabi09

In my opinion, giving myself shots alost never hurt me. Except in the arms, because I have no fat there. Every once in a while it did, but I think poking yourself in the finger hurt more than taken shots do.
    but like I said...that's probably just me :)

6. emm142

emm142 Approved members

Yeah, I hate the finger pricks more than shots. I think with 12ish per day my fingers just can't catch a break! :p But it's worth it to see the number, and I usually test without thinking now.

I really wouldn't like to restrict my diet. (Well, considering I'm already vegetarian and dairy free, I really don't know what I would actually eat. :p)

7. Starguy121

8. emm142

emm142 Approved members

Yeah, sucks a bit, but I usually check before dosing insulin and I have to take insulin for EVERYTHING (sugar-free gum included, even though I only need like a couple of tenths of a unit). So that's probably like 5-6 checks a day just before food. And then, I always check 2 hours after a main meal, so that's another 3. And I check whenever I wake up at night or I feel low or high, before I exercise, before I drive, before I go out, or if there's some other abnormal circumstance (stress, testing at school, whatever) which could mess with my BG. Occasionally, if I only eat a couple of meals and have a good day without much abnormality or highs or lows, I could get away with maybe 6.

9. kierbabi09

Yeah, that is not uncommon for alot of the people on this forum to test that much.
    I don't drive so I don't have to test then, so I usually test 6 times a day and then whenever I feel necessary.
    Sometimes it's more and sometimes it's a little less.
    All of the people here test alot more than 2x a day.
    I test:
    before meals
    2 hours after meals
    when I feel low or high
    and if I'm going to do heavy exercising
    after I'm done exercising, usually a little afterwards.
    Sometimes at 3am- If I'm awake or something that has been going on say changes in insulin dosages.

10. Starguy121

oh anyways

so i also check at other times too

like before i go out to eat
    cuz i like to have an idea of what i should eat
    my doctor person sayd to avoid high carb meals
    but idk what a high carb meal is exactly

and i check when i feel weird/sick
    sometimes when im low, around 70 is low for me
    then i feel sorta sick
    and i DONT want hypoglycemia
    so i gotta be careful

11. TheFormerLantusFiend

TheFormerLantusFiend Approved members

Are you going to be on your current dose of steroids for the rest of your life or is this something where you'll hopefully get to lower the dose or eliminate the prednisone eventually?
    If your blood sugar creeps up and up, you might go on an oral medication like metformin (glucophage) before insulin.

Low carb depends on the person- but if you count the carbs and see how much it takes to make you high, then you'll know how low carb you need to be.
    For you to avoid hypoglycemia, you might want to eat a lot of protein- your body will turn some of the protein into sugar, but verrry slowly. Also, hypoglycemia in general is less dangerous in people who aren't taking any diabetes medications (like insulin).

Happy birthday! Glad you got to eat cake. How old are you now?

What glucose meter do you use? Do you like it?

12. LadyBug

LadyBug Approved members

WELCOME! i'm Anna, type 1 for 5+ years. i've never even heard of steroid induced D:(

like Jonah said, 'high carb' (for you) would be how ever many carbs that after you eat them, you go high;)
    please vent or rant as much as you need to, we've all had those moments:eek::cool:(which is why CWD is so loved....we just get it:D)

13. emm142

emm142 Approved members

The only way you will be able to tell what meals are too high carb for you is by testing before and after meals of different carb amounts, and seeing which meals raise you too much, which will mean testing more often for a little while.

You might also find that a meal which would be too high carb for, say, breakfast, would be okay to eat for dinner (a lot of people are very insulin resistant in the morning, which makes the same amount of carbs raise their blood glucose by a lot more).

I also have a few questions (sorry, I know nothing about steroid induced diabetes and I'm curious). Did they catch your diabetes in preventative testing, or were you symptomatic? What are your high and low blood glucose targets, and at what point do you feel highs and lows, and also (this might be a silly question), might it go away if you ever stop the steroid treatment, or is it definitely a forever thing?

14. Starguy121

ok, time to answer questions lol

LantusFriend-
    well even tho i have a disease thing that i NEED the steroids for now, the doctor keeps lowering the dose, so its not forever. i should be done with this by next year hopefully....

yup that cake was awesome, i had 2 big pieces and my blood sugar only went to 170. and im 13 now lol.

well at the ER they gave me a OneTouch ultra mini
    it looked cool, but i didnt get to keep it, cuz the things for it (the lancets and strips) were too expensive or somethin

so i have a FreeStyle Lite now and its pretty cool except we get lots of errors. so then we waste lots of strips. lol.

ok more questions lol

emm124-

well they figured it out like this: since im sick i take some medicine stuff for it (other than the prednisone) and it can mess up ur liver, so i have a blood test every week to make sure im ok. and well the first time we did it, they didnt tell me i wasnt supposed to eat for 12 hours. so for breakfast i had:

pancakes, cereal, eggs, yogurt, oatmeal, bagels, cresants and maybe more
    i had been eating ALOT lol, prednisone makes u extra hungry

so the next day my regular doctor called right before school lol and he sayd to go right to the ER cuz my blood sugar was too high, it was 358. so i was stuck there for 5 hours.

and i didnt even feel any different that day, i remember i was a little dizzy tho

well when i had to check in the morning, i had to be below 126, and i did that so now i dont need to check in the morning

and at night i used to have to be below 200, but since we lowered the dose of steroids she's making me try to be below 140 now.

for lows, i feel em at like when im around 70. its only happened maybe like 3 times tho. and highs are around 180. one time i could tell i was really high, i had been 281 that night (had some yummy ravioli's with cheese sauce) lol.

and the LAST question lol

yeah when im done with the steroids im done with all this stuff too... yay:)

oh and some other stuuf u might wanna know:
    its sorta like type 2, cuz u dont need to use insulin (i ALMOST needed it tho)
    and um thats it i guess lol

15. nanasdottie2

nanasdottie2 Approved members

me to
    but hi hi