- advertisement -

Hi, I'm a new Type 1 diabetic

Discussion in 'Teens' started by Dylan, Dec 8, 2007.

1. Dylan

Dylan Approved members

On November,29,2007,early Thursday morning I went to the E.R. with D.K.A. (Diabetic Ketoacidosis) where I was diagnosed with Type 1 Diabetes. My Blood glucose was over 300 for the past three months and my body was throwing out large amounts of ketones. My HgA1C score was a 14 and my blood pH was a 6.8. So, I was in big trouble. It has been six days since I left the hospital. I am on Lantus and Novolog.

You might think this is weird but I actually like to care for my Diabetes I have everything memorized and I can do it myself very easily, but of course my mom checks the insulin and syringe to make sure I get the right amount.

I hope we can be friends on this board.

2. s0ccerfreak

s0ccerfreak Approved members

Hi Dylan, welcome to the club-sorry to hear about your diagnosis. You sound like you are doing very well with every so far. If you have any questions feel free to ask.

3. Dylan

Dylan Approved members

Pumps

I have been wondering, how good are those pumps. Do they really help blood glucose levels stay within range.

4. smileitsworthit

smileitsworthit Approved members

Well, welcome im not very new to diabetes, ive had it since age 3. im sorry about that hearing. i can be your friend on this board if you like.

5. smileitsworthit

smileitsworthit Approved members

Yes, the pump is very good, i have one and it works great at school because whenever i hae snack or lunch its easier then drawing up a syringe. and at home when i eat i can be bolus right away with my wizard just entering my carbs and bloodsugar..

6. Dylan

Dylan Approved members

Thanks for being my friend on this board.

7. Dylan

Dylan Approved members

which pumps are best.

8. Volleyball_Chick_15

Volleyball_Chick_15 Approved members

Hi Dylan
    Welcome to the board!!
    I have a Animas pump and i like it alot!! But as far as which pumps are the best i really dont know, you would have to ask your doc. that question.
    Well if ya ever need n-e-one to talk to or to ask any questions im here!
    Molly

9. s0ccerfreak

s0ccerfreak Approved members

I absolutely love my pump. My numbers are so much better now than before my pump and i find it much more convient. I still go up and down quite a bit, (thats just me...) but not as much as before.
    Here is a site that compares all of the pumps and has links to their sites.
    http://www.diabetesnet.com/diabetes_technology/insulin_pump_models.php I have never heard of the diabecarellS idk about anyone else, but i guess it can't hurt to look at it. I use MiniMed, but I haven't ever used anything else so i can't compare quality. (I do LOVE it though)

10. icy_hot_iceskater

icy_hot_iceskater Approved members

hello

Dylan,
    Hi my name is Icy hot Iceskater and I just got diagnosed 2 months ago.

11. Ithilfey

Ithilfey Approved members

Hi Dylan, I'm Ithilfey. Sorry about the way your diagnosis. I found out on July 4, when I was at my grandmothers. Apparently I was 1 day away from going into a coma. I would love to be your friend.

12. FeeferGross

FeeferGross Approved members

Hey there!

I was diagnosed at 13. Its funny, but I like to take care of myself too because I hate how I feel when I am high or low and so I do my best to stay in range. I've had diabetes for nearly 6 years now. You can ask me questions or anythig anytime. PM or send email: ctgross@gmail.com

13. Ithilfey

Ithilfey Approved members

Lately, my bloodsugars have been high. I'm just getting down. Man, it feels good to be back in range! What do you do in your free time?

14. Dylan

Dylan Approved members

In my free time I like to play piano, play chess, and play computer games. I live about 30 minuets from Arkansas Children's Hospital. They have helicopters there so when I learned how bad off I was I said ''you should '' have helicoptered me there''.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2008