- advertisement -

HI Glucose and Ketones...HELP!!!!!

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by ROVERT81402, May 20, 2013.

1. ROVERT81402

ROVERT81402 Approved members

Hi guys, Its been FOREVER since I've posted on here, but I am in need of some serious help! Trevor, who is now 10, has had d for 5.5 years, I've never had a problem with ketones until recently. He was hospitalized a month ago, for 3 days just for observation because his BG kept going high for no apparent reason, and even when he wasn't too high (200) he would have ketones. But when I changed his site, he was ok for a few hours, but then his BG would go back up and stay up. I've tried different lengths, lot numbers, & brands of everything related to the pump...infusion sets, tubing, cartridges, batteries...and different lot numbers of novalog. Nothing worked, but if I gave him a shot, he would come down...So I called animas and they replaced his pump....Suddenly his BG started going low (38 ish)...so I adjusted his insulin settings and came to the conclusion that there was something wrong with the pump...well its been a little over a month and I'm having the same problems again! His endo is of no help...I call him and get no return phone calls, the emergency room at any of the hospitals around here are absolutely clueless about type 1 diabetes.....I don't know what to do! I put him on shots starting today, just to see if I can get his BG regulated because I don't know what else to do. Do you think its possible that I have another junk pump?!

Someone please help...I'm so frustrated :/

2. quiltinmom

quiltinmom Approved members

Hmmm....the chances of getting 2 bad pumps in a row is pretty low, I'd think.

Can you find a new endo? It's unacceptable that you're having trouble and they don't get back to you. (For comparison, my endo has an email address we can write to, and we get emailed back very quickly. If we call the after hours number they will put us through if we tell them it's diabetes related, etc.) They should be there for you when you need them. That's what we pay them all that $$$ for.

The first part of your post made me think that his needs are just going up (puberty/growth spurt, something like that), and he hasn't been getting enough insulin overall.

If you posted some more specific information we could be a little more helpful.

Let us know if switching to shots helps.

3. ROVERT81402

What kind of specifics? He just had a physical for camp and his pediatrician said he is not going through puberty yet, but he is close, and he hasn't really been eating much more than he usually does, so I don't think its a growth spurt. I thought about just increasing his insulin needs, but it just seems odd that the same thing that happened before he was hospitalized is happening again. Yesterday he was literally playing outside all day, riding bikes, running around, squirt gun fights, ect ect....and everytime he checked, he was high! I changed his site twice yesterday and no improvements... I don't understand it :'(

4. danismom79

danismom79 Approved members

This is my thought as well. There are hormones at work in pre-puberty (what did the ped check for to rule it out - just based on sight?).

Did you actually change any settings?

5. quiltinmom

quiltinmom Approved members

"Specifics" means insulin/carb ratios, basal rates, and a day or two of BGs, carb counts and boluses.

But the long and short of it is that if he's high, he needs more insulin, plain as that. It's the figuring out when and how to increase doses that's the hard part! But generally speaking, if he's high overall, basal rates need to go up (don't raise more than 10% at a time), if it's just one specific time of day, usually it's a meal ratio. That's not a hard and fast rule, though.

6. TheLegoRef

TheLegoRef Approved members

Have you tried to do shots with no pump for a few days to rule that out? Or do basal with pump but boluses with syringes? Or lantus for basal and boluses with the pump? Whenever we can't get my ds to come down, we use syringes to rule out the pump. If that works, then we look at sites, insulin, etc.

7. ROVERT81402

I took him off his pump today. At 10:30am (when he was 500) I dosed him 9units of lantus (equivalent to his basal) and novalog to bring him down, equivalent to his pump settings. He is now 79

8. Lee

Lee Approved members

I wonder if his sites aren't working for him. I would call Animas and ask them to send you out some different samples. If he is coming down with shots, and then shoots right back up with the pump, well, if it looks like a duck and quacks like a duck, it is probably a duck...

9. Mish

Mish Approved members

Yep. You either DO have another bad pump or there is something happening with the infusion sites.

I think you're doing the right thing - keep him off the pump, see if things level out and report it all to animas. Keep a log (if you don't already) with details on what you've done and tried so that Animas can file a report and you can get another pump. . I'd probably go at least a few weeks without the pump to truly see what's going on.

The only other thing I can possibly think is that your son is eating without telling you. What happened when he was hospitalized?