- advertisement -

Hi everyone

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Swifty, May 1, 2013.

1. Swifty

Swifty New Member

I am the father of a 14 yr old boy who has been diagnosed for about 7 yrs
    Mostly things have been running ok until the last 3 months. He now will not manage his diabetes in any way shape or form. We have had our worst HBA1C, he is continually reading in the 20's. And if not nagged will not inject or test. Apart from that all is good.

2. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

Hi.

The teen years are tough. There are so many more interesting things to be doing and thinking about than managing one's blood sugar :cool:

We pretty much still have a team approach with out daughter. She's 15 but I still check her bg for her at certain times of the day just to give her a break. She also uses a cgm which helps keep and eye on things without getting up in her face.

Hope you can turn things around with your son. He must feel pretty lousy being so high all the time. Maybe it's time to take back the management for a bit, or establish certain specific tests and times when he's responsible and others when you are. It's a heavy burden for a teen to carry alone :cwds:

Good luck!

3. nanhsot

nanhsot Approved members

Welcome, I think you'll find lots of helpful advice here.

Teen years are tough, diabetes or no diabetes, they tear at your heart and wear out your patience! Add in extra duties like managing diabetes and, well, it's just too much sometimes.

We have a basic rule in our home: you are in charge of your health as long as you are doing a good job with it. (and this is true of many other things as well around here). Start to do a poor job of it and we will intervene. This can mean different things to different families, but in some way I would feel the need to help structure his management in some way. Let him know, for example, that if he doesn't inject and/or test before meals, that you will do it for him. Either he can manage or you will. Text at school before meals. Review meter readings together every day after school. Watch injections, or do them. Etc.

Honestly some kids welcome a parent taking over for a while, maybe he just needs a break and would like it if you were his pancreas for a season.

Mostly I would sit down with him and share your concerns. Let him know you support him and want to help him succeed in all areas of his life, and that without good management things like academics and social life becomes more difficult (can't vouch for your son but mine feels HORRIBLE when he's high all the time). Make a plan together, as a team. Help him in whatever way you all together decide.

Good luck.

4. Amy C.

Amy C. Approved members

Diabetes is a team effort. My son welcomed the assistance. I was constantly monitoring what was happening and intervening when things started to go in the wrong direction.

I would take over aspects of his care -- testing, administering insulin, counting carbs, whatever is needed.

5. Mish

Mish Approved members

I'm sorry your son is struggling right now. Perhaps some of what's in this article might help.

http://spectrum.diabetesjournals.org/content/17/1/31.full

Regardless of the reasons why, it sounds like he's done with dealing with a disease he's had half his life. who can blame him? Time to step in and revamp roles and responsibilities.

Good luck. :)

6. KatieSue

KatieSue Approved members

Mines 17 and she "forgets" to test and bolus quite often. It's usually not totally not doing it but here/there. When it looks like it's more than that I sit her down and ask her what I can do to help. Does she want reminders, can I set things up for her? What can we do as a team to fix the problem.

7. theMad_D_Dad

theMad_D_Dad Approved members

Hi, and welcome.
    I'm pretty new myself.
    These are the days I dread. There are times that I literally have to put my child in a jui-jitsu submission hold just to change her site and she's 6. I can't begin to fathom when she is in charge of her own care and goes through all the hormone changes that come along with puberty. I hope things get better for you, and your son realizes the importance of these vital parts of management.