- advertisement -

Hey

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Tiera20, Feb 20, 2012.

1. Tiera20

Tiera20 Approved members

My name is Tiera I am 20 years old and on December 25 2011 I was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes. I am here to find out more information on diabetes from others who has it other then finding out most of my information from my doctor. I want to find out more information on insulin pumps and whats the best meters and lancets to use to minimize the pain of pricking my fingers i HATE needles.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2012
  2. Amy C.

Amy C. Approved members

My son uses a Delica lancet device which virtually painless.

You can't go wrong with any of the pumps. If the endo approves the pump, I would meet with a representative and hold each in your hand and see what you like.

3. MomofSweetOne

MomofSweetOne Approved members

Welcome - and we wish you didn't need to be here.

My daughter uses the Multi-clix. She much prefers it to others, but we haven't tried the Delica, to my knowledge. It's nice not to have to switch the lancet with the Multi-Clix.

We also use the Accu-check Meter and like it a lot. The company is fabulous about giving out free meters, Multi-clix, etc. Did you get the Bag of Hope from JDRF at diagnosis? If not, you can call them to get one. The Accu-check meter & Multiclix are included. Otherwise, you can probably get freebies by calling Accu-chek directly. They make their money off the strips and drums.

My daughter uses the Medtronic Revel pump and CGM. We are liking the combined system more and more all the time. The CGM helps so much with keeping her adjusted and seeing the trends that are happening. She's been sick this week, but I was able to put a 200% temporary basal and watch how she was trending with such an increase.

All the pump companies will let you handle their products and some allow saline trials. I would recommend reading and trialing about all of them. There's lots of information on this board, but it does come down to personal preferences and needs.

Where are you? The pumps available differ by whether you live in the USA, Europe, Canada, etc.

You're still in the roughest period of adjustment. Hang in there...it does get less hard. Some days almost easy. Most are middle ground.

4. Connie(BC)Type 1

Connie(BC)Type 1 Approved members

Hi, I'm nearly 53, have been Type 1 most of my life, and I STILL hate needles, for me that makes the pump to optimal choice, since it's only a site change every 3-5 days. Finger pokes are another story, you seem to get used to them, expcially if you do frequent testing!

5. selketine

selketine Approved members

If you are in Northern VA near DC or if you get care from there you should check out the NVADM1 yahoo group - group for local families and adults with type 1: http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/nvadm1/ I think you have to send a message to the moderator to join.

The CWD conferences are a great way to learn about what is out there. They have a technology conference coming up in Philadelphia this coming weekend. Their biggest event is Friends for Life and they have a new "adult" track with sessions just for adults. All the major pump companies show up there as well as insulin/meter/supplies companies. That is held in Orlando in July.

Sorry you had to join us but welcome.

6. Tiera20

Tiera20 Approved members

Thanks

Thanks everyone for your information

7. Christopher

Christopher Approved members

Welcome and sorry about your dx.

Danielle uses the Delica and the Freestyle Flash meter. The Delica is very soft on her fingers and the Freestyle uses the smallest blood sample size in the world, so she barely needs to prick her finger to get a tiny drop of blood. That causes much less trauma to the skin on her fingers.

Here is a good place to start researching pumps:

http://www.childrenwithdiabetes.com/pumps/

8. TheFormerLantusFiend

TheFormerLantusFiend Approved members

I tried the Delica and didn't like it. I prefer the multiclix. I seem to be the only one on here who feels that way, but the multiclix makes my fingers feel way less bruised.

There are a lot of meters that use different amounts of blood. Just so you have some reference when you're considering meters, current meters use anywhere from 0.3 microliters of blood to 1.5 microliters of blood.

9. blufickle

blufickle Approved members

I'm 52 and been a type one for most of my life. I don't use a pump because I don't like needles. I don't want to have a needle in my body for any length of time. So I'm going to stick to the injections.

I use the contour meter and I love it. I've used several of them and this is the only one that I can say I really like. As for lancets, I'd try using different ones until I find one I like. I don't use any of the lancet devices, because they don't work for me.

10. Christopher

Christopher Approved members

So how do you get blood for bg tests?

11. emm142

emm142 Approved members

Just to check, you do realise that most people who use pumps do not have a needle in them all the time, but rather a small teflon cannula? Of course, the benefit then becomes 1 needle every 3 days rather than many every day. Anyhow, if you're happier with MDI then that's great - I just wanted to clarify your statement for you and for anyone else who might read. :)

12. mylemonadelife

mylemonadelife Approved members

Hello, I am glad you decided to join. My name is Rae. I am 21 years old and have had diabetes since I was 7. Feel free to message me anytime about anything, diabetes or life in general, I would be more than happy to talk. I have a Minimed pump and cgms. I like the one touch meters with the multiclix lancet. It seems less painful to me, also I remember to change it more often because it has a rotating drum of 6 lancets.

13. Pull Up A Chair

Pull Up A Chair Approved members

I'm relieved that you clarified this because that's the first thing I thought of when I read it. My daughter and I change her pod every three days, the cannula is soft and flexible and if, for any reason it's uncomfortable, we change the site. She forgets it's there most of the time.