- advertisement -

He's eating, eating, eating...

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by lil'Man'sMom, Jan 19, 2011.

1. lil'Man'sMom

lil'Man'sMom Approved members

I have fed two teenage boys... but Manning, who will be 10 in June, seems to never be satisfied.

For example last night he ate 4 caveman chicken (drumsticks), 1/2c. Mac-n-Cheese, 1c. broccoli, 8oz. milk and an ice cream sandwich for dessert, he was hungry again before bed. Tonight (mind you he did have wrestling) he ate two LARGE pieces of chicken parm. pizza and a glass of milk, after wrestling he wanted more pizza and his ice cream sandwich dessert. I talked him into large apple and the dessert.

I don't want to deny him, he seems to be hungry all the time, especially dinner time through bedtime, even with having an after-school snack. I remember my older sons eating a lot but not until 13-14 years old.

Anyone else have a super hungry 9-10 year old?

2. thebestnest5

thebestnest5 Approved members

I have one.;) I call him Jethro--he doesn't know what that means.:p

3. kiwikid

kiwikid Approved members

Rachel is ALWAYS hungry - she eats more than my 17 yr old at present... :eek:
    She had a growth velocity graph done and she was off the graph for her age - I think it means her growth spurt was coming at an age when it wasn't expected.. :cwds:

4. manda81

manda81 Approved members

My oldest is 9, and yes... ALWAYS hungry.

5. Lakeman

Lakeman Approved members

Based on the kind of foods you listed that does not sound like too much in terms of volume. I could easily see a boy of that age eating that much.

As long as he is not getting fat give him as much healthy (easier said than done) food as he will eat.

6. mamamccoy87

mamamccoy87 Approved members

Grace will plow through some food too!!! But her growth curve on her growth chart is no longer a curve - its a straight vertical line!!!

7. chbarnes

chbarnes Approved members

Hey, when I was 13 y/o I was 6 foot tall and weighed 120lb. I don't remember a time when I wasn't hungry.

8. bisous

bisous Approved members

DS is an amazing eater! I'll never forget the day of EIGHT quesodillas! Sometimes I don't manage to fill him up--I just run out of time and figure he MUST be fine, right?

My SIL mentioned that DN (also Type 1 and 4 years old) is her most voracious eater.

I wonder sometimes if D induces hunger feelings?? I know DS can be hungry if high or low but even when he is squarely in range he has quite the appetite!

9. Caleb's*mom

Caleb's*mom Approved members

LOL!! love it

10. Caleb's*mom

Caleb's*mom Approved members

Caleb is 10 and can just about eat as much as his step dad

11. Becky Stevens mom

Becky Stevens mom Approved members

Both of my boys can and do eat more then I do now ;) I figure as long as they are active and need that much fuel its fine and as long as its not all junky stuff. Steven made himself a snack yesterday of a string cheese wrapped in roast beef and some baby carrots. It was about 1/2 hour before supper but he still ate more then me