- advertisement -

Heres a good one

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Timmy Mac, May 17, 2012.

1. Timmy Mac

Timmy Mac Approved members

Recently I've kinda been researching turtles. And I was kinda thinking about getting one as a pet. (I have most o the stuff I would need already, like a 55 gal tank, water filters, heat lamp, etc.) BUT according to the CDC, I shouldn't be anywhere near the things!

"Separate the turtle from contact with high-risk individuals:
    Persons at increased risk for infection or serious complications from salmonellosis (e.g., children under 5, the elderly, or people who have lowered natural resistance to disease due to pregnancy, cancer, chemotherapy, organ transplants, diabetes, liver problems or other diseases) should avoid contact with reptiles and amphibians and any items that have been in contact with them..."

really? so having diabetes makes it unsafe for me to have a pet now? :rolleyes: please lol

http://www.cdc.gov/healthypets/spotlight_an_turtles.htm

2. sheeboo

sheeboo Approved members

Is that due to the risk of salmonila? My dd wants a bearded dragon for her birthday and picks up every frog or toad that crosses her path (but washes her hands when she comes inside). I'm curious how real the risk is. Is it just pet store-bred amphibians?

3. MomofSweetOne

MomofSweetOne Approved members

The son of a friend ended up in the hospital because of an infection he caught from his lizard. I wouldn't let D trump a pet, though. Hand-washing afterwards, definitely!!!

4. 5kids4me

5kids4me Approved members

We have a beardie! He is pretty awesome:)