- advertisement -

here we go....

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by gandgsmom, Oct 17, 2012.

1. gandgsmom

gandgsmom Approved members

Hi there I am Laura, type I (actually dx recently with MODY gene) on insulin pump since the age of 25. I am here to get support for my daughter Gracie...
    I was around a few years ago and got some negative responses from some since my daughter was "pre diabetic" since then she was diagnosed as having MODY with genetic testing. Her sugars have been in upper 200s after lunch at school and she is spilling ketones when she gets home....we are going in friday to have the cgm inserted for 5 days and most likely will begin lantus next week....

I am hoping this time around to meet some understanding parents...I know MODY is different but in our family it acts like type I with a typically long honeymoon....she has been "pre diabetic" since the age of 3 (diagnosed by a pediatric endo at childrens) and we found out last year she tested positive for one of the MODY 2 genes (gloucokainase). My daughter is scared of starting insulin and having the cgm put in....even though she has seen me with my pump (and cgm but I hate the one I have so don't often wear it).

That's our intro for now....hoping to get some support here.

Laura

2. Brenda

Brenda Junior Member

I think there are now a few parents around who are also dealing with MODY or possible MODY. Hopefully, they will see your post and respond.

I will say that many of us have had to deal with toddlers needing to take insulin and it can be a struggle. Things have changed so much since our daughter was a toddler with diabetes (she is now 25 years old!) so I am not sure I can offer any specific advice, primarily because I just don't remember much about those days. I do recall that our diabetes team's psychologist recommended we use a reward system for BG checks/shots. Our daughter would earn a sticker when she cooperated. After getting maybe 10 stickers, she would earn something like a trip to the library, a visit to the rec center pool, etc., not a physical thing like a toy.

Hope the start of Lantus goes well. The needles on the syringes are so tiny these days, they should not hurt. However, it is my understanding that Lantus can sting. Hopefully, someone with experience will chime it and help you. I would suspect your daughter might not notice any sting because she will be getting a small dose, I presume.

3. gandgsmom

thanks Brenda....I appreciate your quick response...and I hope she does better than I'm anticipating...thank you for the ideas about the rewards...

4. ChristineJ

ChristineJ Approved members

Hi, Laura! Welcome back! I remember reading some of your past posts and wondering how things ended up turning out for you and your family. As you can see from my signature, my son has a GCK (MODY 2) mutation. He's currently using insulin with meals. He's had the I-Pro (blind CGM) inserted twice. The anticipation, I think, was worse than the actual poke for him. If you're interested, we have a MODY group on Facebook. Feel free to PM me anytime! :)

Christine

5. gandgsmom

thank you....I'd love to join the group on facebook....can you get me a link? I would really like to chat with you as this is now becoming reality for us....

6. ChristineJ

ChristineJ Approved members

This is the link for the MODY group: http://www.facebook.com/groups/13438...4389319961461/

I sent you a PM. :)

Christine

7. DsMom

DsMom Approved members

My son is not MODY, but the only suggestion I would have for Lantus is that if it stings, which it did for my son quite a bit, do the injections in the butt. After we started doing all Lantus shots there, there was no more "ouch-ing"!

Best of luck to you and your daughter. Hope you find the specific support you need this time!:cwds:

8. gandgsmom

thank you Julie and thanks for the tip