- advertisement -

Here we go again...diabetes part deux

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Beach bum, Feb 10, 2015.

1. Lightly Salted

Lightly Salted Approved members

I'm so sorry

2. Mo1

Mo1 Approved members

I've been thinking about your family since you posted. I hope you all are adjusting. Super stinks! At least, if you are looking for a bright spot, she's starting in capable, well, trained, knowledgable hands.....I'm sure you remember the first days of the first go round. Your starting point with # Deux...beyond compare. Here's to wishing you the best.

3. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

It's been one week and things are going well. It is vastly different than when her sister was diagnosed at age 4. First is that she does most of the care herself, by choice. Second is that she's a teen and she's willing to have extra shots for extra servings. Third is that there is minimal drama over the shots (now that we've realized she needs to give the shot and we've found a needle she likes). Her ratio is 1:15, so it's making getting used to carb counting easy. She also was already scheduled to go to a diabetes mini camp this weekend (planned already siblings can go) and our team made sure she was able to. They worked with her, helping her with her aversion to the Levier shot and just were there to show support.
    I have to say, she's adjusted really well. We've had moments, mostly with the Levimere, but overall she's not let it impact her life too much. I know the emotions will pop in and out, but she's handling it beautifully.

She is now lobbying for a dog, a Newfoundland. Umm, no, we would need a new house to accommodate the dog! So her other request is a light saber...yes my children are nerds <3

4. njswede

njswede Approved members

Hmm... Here's my son's "being-so-cool-about-his-diabetes-gift". Boy, were we geeking out last night! My wife claims that I wanted it more than him, but that's obviously a vile and evil lie! :)

gubbie.jpg

5. Ali

Ali Approved members

That sounds great. I am sure much of the ease is that you and your husband are knowledgeable and calm. One thought which I suspect you have already considered is that Abby might have mixed emotions. She will be sad for her sister but she also might be secretly happy to have someone she knows so well understand fully what having T1 means. That can be a guilt provoking thought. Not saying any of those thoughts will happen with her but I remember at times wishing one of my sisters would develop it so I had a buddy. It was always just a brief passing thought but it might be a bit more intense with an identical twin. Ali

6. Beach bum

She's more jealous than anything. Diabetes was her "thing" and she got "special" attention from mom and dad (in her mind though. We made sure attention was equal). I asked her how she felt, and she said "nothing really, it is what it is..." It is an interesting dynamic with twins though. Just another thing they get to share.

7. njswede

njswede Approved members

Tell me about it! DS has a non-D (fingers crossed) twin sister. The first week was about 10% dealing with the DS and 90% dealing with temper tantrums from his sister for not getting the same level of attention. It's gotten better now, but it's definitely an issue. Ah, the twin life!

8. suej

suej Approved members

My son has the most awesome starwars lego model collection on the planet since diagnosis . And it has been worth every (weak) rand. But how about a cat if a dog is too challenging? We got 2 kittens from the SPCA about a month into diagnosis and have never looked back. We love our cats and fight over them at night. We even had 2 sets of kittens (the second unintentional, Lillyput was still breastfeeding her brood, I did not think she would fall pregnant, took my mother and my sister to point out that she was a bit rotund) LOL. We found good homes for all but 2 ( we kept those ones intentionally) and I can say that the only unadulterated good that came from diabetes was our cats ( except when they catch a bird or a mouse or a snake etc...) Some other good I suppose.. my DS's really positive attitude and courage, but I really find it tough. Cats rock.

9. Ali

Ali Approved members

I also wondered about that aspect. :) Ali

10. NeurosurgeryNP

NeurosurgeryNP Approved members

A light saber....interesting. Glad they had fun at camp!

11. Beach bum

Oh, we already have a cat that rules the roost. She wants this very specific dog which is the size of a Shetland Pony! So the cat will continue to rule and when we go to Disney next week she can get a light saber key chain ;)

Ironically, TrialNet finally called today to say she had all 5 markers. They actually sounded disappointed that she couldn't be in the trial anymore...

12. MomofSweetOne

MomofSweetOne Approved members

I'm sorry for all of you. How soon will you be able to get a CGM/pump for her? I hope your girls do their growth spurts, etc. together so that you aren't dealing with the teen surges at different times!!

13. Beach bum

Request for pump went in today. Hopefully we will have it without any insurance hold up. CGM we will wait a little, planning for April vacation or early June when school lets out. Since she is the one dealing with management most of the time we want to do one thing at a time so she is comfortable.

14. liasmommy2000

liasmommy2000 Approved members

I'm sorry. :frown:

15. Beach bum

We are in Disney right now! We hooked her up to her sisters old pump and are using it to correct and bolus. It's workin well. She's tried the shots for a week and is fine, but this helps. We are only allowing her to use the normal bolus so she can get carb calculations under her belt.
    Hoping insurance approved the new pump soon, especially since the screen is going wonky on the old one!

16. Beach bum

Ugh! Poor kid has a stomach bug! Praying she turns the corner so we can get home tomorrow. Luckily bgs are in range and no ketones. Great way to end a vacation.

17. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

Its been almost a year since DX and my youngest is still using her sisters new but out of warranty pump. While my local endo is OK with it all, we are moving cross country and not sure about the next.

18. Mimi

Mimi Approved members

I've been away from the forum for a while and noticed your signature today while browsing. I am sorry this happened. It just plain sucks.

One adjustment we needed to keep reminding ourselves was that Chloe didn't know as much about D management as we might have thought. Yes, she'd been around her sister and us doing it and talking about it for years but wasn't all that engaged about it as it wasn't happening to her. So although we didn't need the same training as when Amanda was dx'd, Chloe needed to start from the basics. Plus, she liked the attention she received. Probably not a concern for you now as it's been a bit since dx but just thought I'd mention it.

And I have to agree; the twin dynamic is definitely interesting.