- advertisement -

Here we go again...diabetes part deux

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Beach bum, Feb 10, 2015.

1. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

Well, it was a good run. 9.5 years later, Abby's identical twin, Maddy was diagnosed yesterday with T1d. We caught it early, she seemed off this weekend after a skiing event (ironically, Riding on Insulin) and she was drinking a ton. So, for kicks we decided to check her pp bg. 540. Heart stopped. Ok, maybe she's getting sick. Fasting 320. Ok, off to doctors. Our doctor told us with our history to go right to hospital, tests will be done on the spot and they can get everything moving quicker. So in the hospital she was 320 and it was confirmed what was lurking in the back of our minds. T1d...again.

On the plus side, she was sent home because we were able to do everything they required. They never ever released a newly diagnosed T1d home, so they weren't sure of the protocol! Luckily Joslin was on the phone with the doctor telling them what they needed/wanted.

On the down side, this all happened during a snow storm and Boston is shut down. We can't get in today as the clinic is closed, and are hoping to get down tomorrow. The girls are booked to go to Clara Barton camp Wacky Weekend, so our goal is to keep the date. She feels very strongly about this and our former nurse is the nurse director so we know she will be in good hands.

So, it's been a whirlwind 24 hours, she is doing fantastic, hubby and I are in a complete zombie mode, but things will calm down and we can regroup. Our next step is to get on the pump and a cgm asap.

2. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

Wendy, I'm so sorry. I know you are up to it, but still, I'm so sorry to read this.

3. Lisa - Aidan's mom

Lisa - Aidan's mom Approved members

Oh wow, I am so very sorry. I hope she is doing ok. My thoughts are with you. Please hang in there!

4. nanhsot

nanhsot Approved members

Oh no. I'm so sorry.

5. jenm999

jenm999 Approved members

My heart sank when I saw the thread. I'm so sorry.

6. Beach bum

Thank you all. She is doing amazing. I think it's the combination of her age, personality, the fact her sister has been living it and she's been going to diabetes camp for nearly as long as her sister (ours allows siblings on select dates), but she is handling it very gracefully right now. I know the wave of emotions will come, but for now, she is doing wonderfully.

7. Brenda

Brenda Junior Member

This is the second time in a week I've heard of a sister being diagnosed, both up in snow country (just a coincidence). Hope the weather clears enough to get them to camp. Hoping she and you are doing well.

8. mamattorney

mamattorney Approved members

Oh, I'm so sorry. Reading this just makes my heart sink. I'm sure everything will be fine and she'll be great, love that she has a great attitude.

9. mntgrl

mntgrl Approved members

So sorry, thinking of you all!

10. DavidN

DavidN Approved members

Beach - I am sorry for Maddy and your family. I know she's in good hands but it ... just ... sucks.

David

11. susanlindstrom16

susanlindstrom16 Approved members

Sorry to hear this news, but glad she is handling it well.

12. caspi

caspi Approved members

Sorry to hear this, Wendy.

13. dshull

dshull Approved members

So sorry to hear this. Glad you didn't have to stay in the hospital and got to get home quickly. Take care.

14. Mommy For Life

Mommy For Life Approved members

I'm so sorry to read your family is dealing with a 2nd T1 dx. As others have said, glad you caught it early on and your DD spirits are good.

15. obtainedmist

obtainedmist Approved members

So sorry about the 2nd dx! Glad to hear she's a real trooper!

16. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

I'm sorry, Wendy. I know this was something you always had in the back of your mind, but it still must be a punch in the gut when it actually happens. I'm glad to hear that she's handling it well, and I know she's in very good hands. Take care of yourself.

17. BarbDwyer

BarbDwyer Approved members

I'm sorry to hear that. Such a hard thing to hear. Maybe even harder the second time when there is full awareness of what exactly it all means.

You both sound like troopers.

18. StacyMM

StacyMM Approved members

Oh no - I'm so sorry that your daughters now share this. I know that for me, the second diagnosis was much more difficult. Once the initial shock wore off, it was rough. And, even though my son had seen diabetes up close for 6+ years, having it happen to him was very traumatic, probably because he knew what to expect. We were able to get the pump process started immediately, which helped, and having two is what convinced me to give CGMs another try. I know we don't *know* each other, but if you need someone to chat with, PM me.

19. Melissata

Melissata Approved members

So sorry!!!

20. Beach bum

Thanks all for the Kind words!
    A bit of a hurdle with the Levimer shot, a bit of a battle, but we got through.
    This disease sucks, but as I watch my best friends husband dealing with stage 4 colon cancer, my uncle with bone cancer and an aunt with breast, a good friends daughter struggling with CF, I know we will survive.
    All we can do is wake up to a brand new day and know that the good days out number the bad.